Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: Tesla punished me $4000 on adding configurations to my orders when reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have a very tricky issue to punish anybody to add configurations to the order when reservation period. I order Model Y in Sep with FSD ordered, and this Monday my parents questioned do we need $10000 for the full FSD. I was very tangled about whether or not to order the FSD with $10000 or just take the subscription in the future. I removed the FSD feature in the morning on my order online, and afternoon I want to add it back cause I thought it could raised price in next Jan when delivered to order that time. So I called customer service sales to re-add the FSD, and they didn't tell me it gonna change my car price as my price is in Sep. And then after the order changed to re-add FSD, I found my car price just be $4000 more! It is the same price on the latest model Y price now. I was very angry, and called customer service & go to showroom to ask for the change, this is unfair just re-add a FSD feature and it gonna charge me $4000 to change to latest price! But they said it is in the agreement, any add new configuration will be regard a latest order with latest car price, it is definitely wrong, they didn't tell me to be careful about the price may change on the confirration change when I ordered the car, or talked with sales in the online meeting, or have the test drive in showroom, they just ignored the important policy that is definitely very easy to happen when during the reservation for a long time to wait for delivery, they didn't tell me anything about the policy.
So just to be clear, you original base price didn't increase from removing FSD - it only increased when you decided to add it back to your order? I'm currently considering removing FSD from my order via the "Remove Full Self Driving" button my account page. Just trying to confirm that removing this would not increase my order price, since I locked in last year before any price increases happened.

Reactions: Corndart
So just to be clear, you original base price didn't increase from removing FSD - it only increased when you decided to add it back to your order? I'm currently considering removing FSD from my order via the "Remove Full Self Driving" button my account page. Just trying to confirm that removing this would not increase my order price, since I locked in last year before any price increases happened.
Talk to your SA or Tesla sales to confirm no change in price. That way, you are covered if anything goes wrong and price changes

Nah, man. This is a thing. I locked my order and then decided to spring for the white seats a week later - until I saw the price had gone up $1k. They don’t just add to the order - they create a new purchase agreement with a new price. And the price they pull for the base is the current pricing. So, black seats it is for me.
I struggled with this for a long time, and the white seats are GORGEOUS in person....but I've seen too many horror stories on this sub about dye transfers. I'm a blue jeans kinda guy. My partner is a house painters. We would inevitably give those seats a less-than-appealing tint. If I want white seats in the future, there are some great seat covers out there!

I struggled with this for a long time, and the white seats are GORGEOUS in person....but I've seen too many horror stories on this sub about dye transfers. I'm a blue jeans kinda guy. My partner is a house painters. We would inevitably give those seats a less-than-appealing tint. If I want white seats in the future, there are some great seat covers out there!
I'm a jeans guy, too (always black). I was gonna roll the dice on white seats and Gyeon Leather Shield to keep the transfer a bay. I'm going to be super happy with the black interior too - which I'll probably ceramic coat as well to make it easier to clean. The only other drawback to white seats was I'm a tint guy, and the reflectivity of white seats detracts a little from appeal of dark windows.

Has anyone successfully held onto the pricing in effect at the time the deposit was made while changing the original order? I ask because the advisor at the time of the order said verbally as well as via text message that I would be able to make changes at a later date and keep the pricing in effect at the time the deposit was made. Also, not that it matters but why would they say *may* in the order agreement when talking about triggering price changes when if they have an 'always will' policy *will* would be an accurate term.

Has anyone successfully held onto the pricing in effect at the time the deposit was made while changing the original order? I ask because the advisor at the time of the order said verbally as well as via text message that I would be able to make changes at a later date and keep the pricing in effect at the time the deposit was made. Also, not that it matters but why would they say *may* in the order agreement when talking about triggering price changes when if they have an 'always will' policy *will* would be an accurate term.
What seems to be a recurring pattern is SA's will often say a lot of things, but in reality don't seem a terribly accurate / reliable source of information. Having said that, the few people I've spoken with are quite affable and easy to talk with, but I'd refer to the contractual terms and not rely on a verbal or even chat log from an SA as being binding in this specific context.

What seems to be a recurring pattern is SA's will often say a lot of things, but in reality don't seem a terribly accurate / reliable source of information. Having said that, the few people I've spoken with are quite affable and easy to talk with, but I'd refer to the contractual terms and not rely on a verbal or even chat log from an SA as being binding in this specific context.
I've loosely heard from folks who have sweet-talked SAs into legacy pricing but I don't know how. You can't edit it via webpage (even with the hidden edit link) without triggering a price change.

Reactions: Corndart
Thanks! Nothing I can do but I just have no budget to have the FSD with full price😢 And if I go to showroom to discuss with some people that shouldn't happen this, not saving some time on the phone chat but have misunderstand.
I too had FSD in my initial order but after seeing Youtube videos on the beta versions, I realized this is at least 1-2 years away from "FSD". I cancelled my FSD, when I did start the process, I did get a warning, I would not be able to add FSD back to my vehicle configuration. I accepted it. You too must have seen that warning prior to cancellation of your FSD. One other important reason I chose not to have FSD is because it would inflate by MSRP and increase car registration tax every year of ownership plus my insurance. A subscription service does none of this. Should I sell my car in less than 4 year, I am "still in the money". FSD release may yet take 1-3 years. I don't think it is ready for prime time. The $4k increase is no doubt a shocker. When given that choice, I would have said, no thanks for FSD.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Talk to your SA or Tesla sales to confirm no change in price. That way, you are covered if anything goes wrong and price changes
I removed my FSD and had no impact on delivery date nor pricing. FSD is the only thing that can be added or removed and that is because FSD can be easily updated/removed on air and does not interfere with factory scheduling. That said, Tesla only offers the option to make a change one time. Second time it is considered a configuration changes and can attract current pricing for the car.

In my experience, Tesla couldn't make it much easier to order and buy a car. You decide what you want, spend 5 minutes ordering the car on the website, confirm your deposit and that's it. You will receive a 4 page order agreement in your Tesla account that states the specification and price as well as the potential costs associated with changing your order. Between that time and the time that the car is delivered you can cancel your order if you change your mind. Seems fairly straightforward and consumer friendly to me.

When compared with the chaos of trying to buy a car from the local car dealer I don't see how Tesla customers have anything to complain about.

Reactions: SPACE_EX and voxel
Sorry to hear that. I did the same thing as you, removed FSD using the website, and added it by calling them which reset the price. Fortunately, I called them back since the website was not updated and got to know that the price gets reset. Since it takes 2-3 hrs to execute the "new configuration", they were able to reverse it which got the price back to my original order.

Tesla have a very tricky issue to punish anybody to add configurations to the order when reservation period. I order Model Y in Sep with FSD ordered, and this Monday my parents questioned do we need $10000 for the full FSD. I was very tangled about whether or not to order the FSD with $10000 or just take the subscription in the future. I removed the FSD feature in the morning on my order online, and afternoon I want to add it back cause I thought it could raised price in next Jan when delivered to order that time. So I called customer service sales to re-add the FSD, and they didn't tell me it gonna change my car price as my price is in Sep. And then after the order changed to re-add FSD, I found my car price just be $4000 more! It is the same price on the latest model Y price now. I was very angry, and called customer service & go to showroom to ask for the change, this is unfair just re-add a FSD feature and it gonna charge me $4000 to change to latest price! But they said it is in the agreement, any add new configuration will be regard a latest order with latest car price, it is definitely wrong, they didn't tell me to be careful about the price may change on the confirration change when I ordered the car, or talked with sales in the online meeting, or have the test drive in showroom, they just ignored the important policy that is definitely very easy to happen when during the reservation for a long time to wait for delivery, they didn't tell me anything about the policy.
This is truly a shame on Tesla. They should have told you, at the time that you wanted to add FSD back to your order, both the price of FSD and the amount, if any, increase in the base price resulting from the change.

It’s also a shame how many people here keep pointing to the language of the contract and basically telling you that it is your own fault for not understanding the contract. It is obvious that none of them read AND understood the terms of the agreement. I’m gonna just paste the text that another person posted earlier:

"If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original order date."

Nothing in that text suggests that all changes to your order will definitely result in a price increase, even if the base price of the vehicle were to increase. It is totally a matter of Tesla’s discretion whether that change will result in a price increase to the base price of the vehicle, which they should have told you at the time that you changed the order.

This is truly a shame on Tesla. They should have told you, at the time that you wanted to add FSD back to your order, both the price of FSD and the amount, if any, increase in the base price resulting from the change.

It’s also a shame how many people here keep pointing to the language of the contract and basically telling you that it is your own fault for not understanding the contract. It is obvious that none of them read AND understood the terms of the agreement. I’m gonna just paste the text that another person posted earlier:

"If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original order date."

Nothing in that text suggests that all changes to your order will definitely result in a price increase, even if the base price of the vehicle were to increase. It is totally a matter of Tesla’s discretion whether that change will result in a price increase to the base price of the vehicle, which they should have told you at the time that you changed the order.
Not Tesla's fault. Their terms are clearly spelled out in the contract. The OP just wants someone to blame for him no reading the terms thoroughly. Take some responsibility man!

I would be mad too. FSD is a software feature that can be added to the car after delivery. It has zero impact on the manufacture of the car. I’m kind of surprised that adding or removing it would cause a change to the base price. It’s kind of like deciding to add premium floor mats to the car after your initial order and then discovering that Tesla added $4K to the price because you changed your order. Well, I guess that would have to be really fancy, $10K floor mats.
clearly another case of tesla does it because they can. King of the castle right now with no competition. They are not worried about anyone cancelling an order for bad service or anything else because they don't have to care and know there is another literally 100,000 people in line to take that very car

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyerDude