Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

warped brake rotors- again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,

I got my rotors replaced at 12k miles by Tesla as it was covered under warranty... and 2000 miles later, i feel the pulsation again when i brake. Most likely need to replace the fronts again... my p85 only has 14k miles.. what could be the issue? how are they getting warped so quick? could there be an issue with my rims? 21 turbines that have been professionally painted dark grey..

no never have done that before... was never told to do that by service centre..

I can't remember the last time any of my mechanics told me to bed my pads. I am an aggressive driver and I never had to consciously do it. It just happened naturally. ;-)
But with my Tesla, I had to put some effort into it because of regen.

If the pulsating is still somewhat gentle, I would try to bed them now to see if you can bring them back to normal.
I would set regen to low and follow the Hawk method.

"HAWK
After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop. When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is complete."

Last edited:
Unless you like going to the dealer, you should really consider trying the bedding solution. Some cars are more susceptible to uneven brake material deposits than others. It's so simple to do and quickly tells you if your rotors are really warped. Just because you've never done it doesn't mean it's not a valid test. Bedding is used by most track guys that have to change pads often e.g. just before race day. Usually not necessary on regular passenger car as the bedding process is done through the first few braking events after the brake job. My old M5 was notorious for the noisy brake squealing. Another symptom of uneven deposits. And regular driving/braking didn't stop it. Still sounded like hell even after they (dealer) did a brake job. Bedding quickly fixed it but not forever. Had to bed them a few times to finally get the problem fixed. VERY important to properly cool down after the bedding sequence to make sure you don't create new uneven deposits.

Bedding will not help truly warped rotors.