Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was considering a panamera. Test drove p85+ today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a helluva mid-life crisis car! :biggrin:

I maxed mine out, knowing full well that I'd never push the limits of what a P85+ can provide for performance. I may get a friend to take me on a test track so that I can see what the car is really capable of doing. But even in ordinary driving, the handling and acceleration are a total thrill!

The set of compromises that were also important for me: being able to carry 5+2 passengers. Ability to configure for large cargo load. Adjustable suspension height for dealing with a wider range of situations. Zero emissions. No apologies (in terms of looks, performance, range, etc.) for an electric car. Reasonable for the wife to drive. Lots of other options in this price range had less appealing trade-offs, e.g., fewer passengers, worse performance characteristics, restricted cargo load. In other words, I needed to balance "mid-life crisis" with "practical family car". Strange to use those phrases in the same sentence.

Re kids -- in my experience, kids LOVE the rear-facing seats! Tinting the hatch and pano have been critical to comfort, though, as the rear-facing seats are poorly ventilated. My 9-year old boy loves being able to configure the seating, pop himself in, close the hatch, strap himself into the four-point belt, and then spend the trip in his own world. I notice that other drivers wind up smiling and waving to him. Other kids love it, too. My wife and I love it because it puts some additional room between us and the kids. The downside of THAT is that when you do need to talk to them, you'll find yourself yelling -- it's a big car! I didn't agree with the comments one poster made about booster seats. The seats are rated up to 77 pounds for each kid, plus you have to take height into account. So I'm guessing that a lot of kids will fit up until 10-11 years of age and/or exceeding the weight. My boy is on the small side, so he may make it to 11 or beyond. And speaking of booster seats, other observers have noted that the car allows three booster seats side-by-side in the regular rear seat!

Re tires -- hell, it's a mid-life crisis car! Get the 21s. If you discover that you really dislike the tire cost, you can always sell the 21s and just rely on the 19s you've bought anyway for the winter. With the 21s, you'll have summer performance tires and then winter tires. If you switch permanently to 19s, you could minimize cost by doing all-seasons or you could compromise with a summer tire and a winter tire.

The only thing I wouldn't repeat from my purchase configuration would be the Tesla Paint Armor. While I have come to be a big believer in paint protection film, the Tesla Paint Armor ultimately looked to me as poor in total coverage; didn't like the visible bra line across the hood; and there seemed to be some application issues (pointed out by my detailer). So I'd take the money I put into the Tesla paint armor and put it into a good third-party detailer, using Xpel or something like that.

One other thing -- the high-power wall charger and the twin chargers are a debatable investment for a lot of people. For me, I liked the convenience of the wall charger rather than fumbling the included charging cable into/out of the trunk. And I'm running extra amps into my house so I can drive the HPWC at full 80A power, for minimum charging times. The twin chargers are definitely helpful on the road, when you find higher-powered (but non Supercharger) chargers. Over time, it's a good bet that the number of 70A & 80A chargers out there will increase, so I view the twin chargers as a good investment. The HPWC is arguably more about convenience.

Enjoy!

Great feedback. I know a tesla owner of a P60 out in California and we have talked at length and he loves it and it probably wouldnt hurt to have conversations with more owners... i am considering the p85+. What is the big difference between the two? I want performance and don't mind spending extra on tires/year to have a fun year... this is intended to be my midlife crisis car.. i am planning ahead.

What does it "feel like" between the two... I am buying this car to enjoy driving. I love to drive and i drive far and long.. i don't like to light hundred dollar bills on fire so i don't want to change my tires every 5000 miles of balanced driving but i get the sense that is more based on aggressive driving and/or track driving.

IMO opinion the P85 "feels" more like a Lexus - more softly sprung, a bit floaty when making freeway speed lane changes, understeers too much. The P85+ feels more like a BMW (in particular the M5) - goes where you point it, invites you to take corners faster, only does what you tell it to do with the steering wheel input and no more. So pick your handling benchmark car (it was the M5 in my case) and that should point you to the right choice for you.

As far as tire wear goes, there are 3 major factors:

1) The treadwear rating of the tire itself. The 21" PS2's have a lower treadwear rating than the 21" Continentals, which in turn have a lower treadwear rating than the 19" Michelins. So they will wear out faster, which is the price you pay for the softer rubber compound that gives you more grip and better handling.
2) How aggressively you drive. No need for explanation.
3) Correct alignment and tire pressures. Some owners are experiencing excessive wear on the inside edges of their rear tires because Tesla did not align their suspensions correctly. Even with correctly spec'd alignment, the rear inside edges will wear somewhat faster because of the rear suspension geometry. If you have a P85 you can get some extra wear by rotating the tires, but you can't do this on the P85+ because the front and rear tires have different sizes.

@RainmakerJL,

My wife picked the colors (green/tan), after explaining at length how it was my car and my choice. Classic move. Heh. She chose the dark green because it reminded her a lot of the British Racing Green on the Jaguars of her youth. Many people initially mistake the car's color for black, even during the day. I have come to love the color! I would have defaulted to black. But the dark green isn't flashy or garish at all yet (IMHO) is more subtle, richer and interesting than the black. I'll try to remember to take a pic this afternoon and send it along.

I might think twice about the tan interior. It looks fantastic, especially with the dark green exterior, but it does show every smudge. I wonder how the black interior would look with the dark green exterior.

Pollux. Can you point to or post pix of your green P85+... I love green but was worried about how the color would look. How do you feel now about that color choice vs the more popular dark silver and/or blue etc...

@RainmakerJL,

My wife picked the colors (green/tan), after explaining at length how it was my car and my choice. Classic move. Heh. She chose the dark green because it reminded her a lot of the British Racing Green on the Jaguars of her youth. Many people initially mistake the car's color for black, even during the day. I have come to love the color! I would have defaulted to black. But the dark green isn't flashy or garish at all yet (IMHO) is more subtle, richer and interesting than the black. I'll try to remember to take a pic this afternoon and send it along.

I might think twice about the tan interior. It looks fantastic, especially with the dark green exterior, but it does show every smudge. I wonder how the black interior would look with the dark green exterior.

i have tan seats in my black Infiniti M56 and let me tell you it is awful. I wear jeans and so does my seats. Definitely going with black seats... I love those old classic racing green cars starting with the old Porsche and Jaguars so classic..... I just thought that maybe the green might get "old" over time and i would start to regret it... Does the color feel timeless if you know what i mean or does it feel more novelty...

Great thread. Every time I absolutely definitively make up my mind about what to order, one of you guys gushes about the +. Pollux and Dennis, this time I have you two to blame.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. if this is a 40th birthday gift to myself, does that qualify as a midlife crisis car?

Last edited:
Great thread. Every time I absolutely definitively make up my mind about what to order, one of you guys gushes about the +. Pollux and Dennis, this time I have you two to blame.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. if this is a 40th birthday gift to myself, does that qualify as a midlife crisis car?

I was all set to buy the Panamera for my 40th birthday (3 years ago) and then i got real practical and didnt.. I have 2 young kids so i am going practical a little bit but spending 40-50k over what you need to spend for a nice family car is something that is a splurge and very much a midlife crisis car. Its looking very likely that deposit is going in tomorrow...

Hope I'm doing this right. In theory, here are the pix. There are supposed to be three pictures, but so far I'm only seeing two in this "post quick reply" window after having supposedly uploaded 3. Hmph.

OK, the pictures are all there. **And you can see the dust on the hood!**. I hang my head in shame!!

IMG_3502.jpg
IMG_3506.jpg

@RainmakerJL,

Attachments

• IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 417
Pollux, thanks for posting the pics. they look awesome and the color looks black to me so its that dark green i like a lot... I didn't see any dust and went back to look more after you said it... I did notice your gas free lawnmower though ;) you have the p85+ and live in boston area? 1) are you not required to have a plate in the front of car? 2) how has your tire wear been so far...

Dennis.. @jealous... such a nice looking car. but its not green so you will be docked points.. How has your tire wear been so far?

Pollux, thanks for posting the pics. they look awesome and the color looks black to me so its that dark green i like a lot... I didn't see any dust and went back to look more after you said it... I did notice your gas free lawnmower though ;) you have the p85+ and live in boston area? 1) are you not required to have a plate in the front of car? 2) how has your tire wear been so far...

Dennis.. @jealous... such a nice looking car. but its not green so you will be docked points.. How has your tire wear been so far?

Sorry if you already said this, but did you decide whether or not you are gonna pull the trigger yet?

Extended test drive this afternoon.. stay tuned...
May I suggest?
- back to back with a regular P so you can really feel the difference
- take note of the tire roar on different surfaces at cruising speed
- drive her HARD. don't be afraid to push it
- consider doing a back-to-back test drive with the regular P. That often convinces people that plus is absolutely worth it

have fun and definitely let us know how it goes