Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was going to order, now in 2 minds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies. I’m ready to place my order with the lease company. The car is already on the way to the UK so I still don’t know if it’s the refreshed model or not unfortunately.

If the car is "on the way to the UK" then there's no doubt that it will be a refreshed version. Get the ball rolling now in terms of getting your home charge point sorted out. Also have a think about your likely charging regime. If it's going to be overnight then check out specific cheap rate tariffs (e.g. Octopus Go).

Auto wipers are a bit rubbish, but it's more of an irritation than anything.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that if you would avoid buying the car over something as mundane as that, you probably aren't going to be happy with it.

They are not perfect cars, if you are expecting Germanic precision you're probably going to be disappointed. The software has a whiff of "90% done" about it in some areas. Some aspects of the car feel inexcusably bad - like quality control and PDI oversights, etc.

That being said, these things can be fixed, and the mobile service is a boon. I used to have to wait weeks to get my Audi in for any work, regardless of how big or small, whereas I can just book an appointment on the app and someone will come out to sort it at my convenience.

I wouldn't change my M3P for an Audi, knowing that whatever car I bought would be frozen in time in terms of what it can do, etc, and I'd have to buy the next car if I wanted the upgraded infotainment system, etc.

As a lease owner of a M3 pre-refresh but with new frunk and charge mat I thought i'd chip in.

Phantom braking - on my daily commute (90 mile round trip) i'll get a phantom brake maybe once every few weeks - i know it's probably road specific - I tend not to use AP on anything but motorways/ong dual carrigeways, Yes it can cause some squeeky bum time when it happens, but it is rare and actually sometimes it stops me from being too complacent with AP.

Wipers - Yes it's a nuisance, but it is similar to my previous car where I couldn't get the ideal wipe speed I wanted, most of the time my wipers are on auto but the quick tap on the spray wipe is sufficient for me when i need to change the wip speed.

Headlights - Now I don't know if it's a new thing with the refresh models being a problem but mine are ok, I don't use auto full beam as I don't really like it too much.

I love my M3, it's by no means perfect, but it's a lease and in 3 years it'll be gone, I'll probably get a MY as it's replacement, Tesla are great EV's IMO and the supercharger network is the big plus. In the end it's a car, it is fun and it is completely different to everything out there right now, the interior is futuristic and minimal which goes to show you don't need buttons everywhere which clutter the cabin. I've heard people complain about lack of Android Auto and Apple Carplay but for me all i need is a good sat nav (which it has) and spotify integration (which it does). Plus the acceleration is always fun.

So it doesn’t look like I will be leasing one after all. The company all the brokers use which is the cheapest declined my application. I have an outstanding credit history and Experian score so don’t know why that happened. It is only a small amount over what I am paying now on my PCP. Very disappointed to say the least.

I decided yesterday I would place an order for a model 3 today. After spending a couple of hours on the forum I have spotted quite a few problems which are not being fixed so I am now decided whether to go ahead or not. I knew about the possible gaps in the panels and the water getting into the boot but didn’t expect so many issues. Are there any other major issues I need to be aware of besides the ones below?

Phantom braking
Headlights not adjusted properly and blinding drivers.
Auto wipers wiping too often or not often enough.
Choose any make of car .. go to any forum for that car brand .. read about all the issues ppl have.

Remember people dont post “didnt have any problems” posts, so you will always see a statistically biased sample. My model 3 now has 21,000 miles and has worked flawlessly since the day I picked it up on my one and only trip to the service center.

Have you checked your credit report to see if there are any anomalies on there?
My report is perfect. I have been keeping an eye in my credit history for the last 5 years at least. Never had trouble getting cars on PCP for the past 8 years either. I’m guessing this deal was too good to be true. My broker said it was £100 cheaper per month than the next finance company. It’s obviously cheaper for a reason. I guess they only approve a few applications at a time at that price. It’s no use me trying any more companies because they are the only Tesla finance company that brokers use. Their trust pilot reviews are full of people in the same situation as me. Perfect credit scores and declined without a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
  1. they can be readjusted automatically, more precisely reset to their original setting, with just a few taps.

I'd just like to add that the "automatic" adjustment doesn't always work well. The three times I've had to do this, (entering the headlight adjustment menu and selecting the start of the process which motors the lights to a mid-position, before allowing manual fine tuning of the position), has put the lights a bit too high and too far to the right.

The rightwards bias may be a hangover from the changes from LHD to RHD, perhaps, but in combination with the lights being set a bit too high it's enough to cause oncoming cars to flash me when the lights are dipped. Each time my local garage has been able to quickly get the lights set to where they need to be to be legal, and each time they have needed to be moved down and to the left. They also commented the first time they adjusted the lights than there was no near side upwards deflection, something that's pretty normal for RHD cars.

Unfortunately, our drive is a fairly steep slope, so I can't easily adjust the lights myself. Each time I've had a go at doing this I've used the local pub car park, which is nice and flat, but lacks a decent wall to see just where the lights are set.

I have everything that can be turned off, turned off, to try and minimise the impact of the false alarms. The car will very forcefully try to steer to the right (always to the right) whenever I pass one particular junction, and will do the same at other times, like last week, when I accelerated out of a left hand bend and the car decided that it wanted to drive into hedge.

Very odd that. I tend to drive one handed with a light touch with my thumb hooked through the steering wheel (I know!) and the car has never tried to turn the wheel when warning about being close to the verge. In fact it does nothing but make me jump with the warning.

I also have never needed to re-adjust the headlamps. Maybe I'm just lucky as the fit and finish of the car is as good as expected.

Reactions: Adopado and Tonyf
I certainly can't say the wipers work effectively in auto as I find it difficult to understand how the AI can operate at night as effectively (hardly) as in daylight.
One issue can be caused by the cameras being at the top of the screen wheras I notice that more rain tends to be in my sightline and a smeary screen renders them useless.
Also notice that the windscreen clears frost/ice far quicker than the camera heaters.

My old 2002 BM M3 auto wipers were virtually faultless and I understand worked by diffraction on the glass by using an infra red light source and receiver. Must have cost pennies to install once proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.