Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washer Fluid Low!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car at the end of March it barely had enough washer fluid to get home.
Put in a about a gallon and a half to top it off. Since then I have put in two gallons. This use is a least twice the rate and maybe more the use rate of any car I have ever had. Is this normal ?

Put in a about a gallon and a half to top it off. Since then I have put in two gallons. This use is a least twice the rate and maybe more the use rate of any car I have ever had. Is this normal ?
What an irony, someone from California asking for advice regarding washer fluid use from :) Brits. I will start and of course my fellow Brits will fill the gap with their wit and enthusiasm!

Here you go:
- It is all Elon’s fault - using high schoolers to design a car - when my £500 car can clean the windscreen even without any washer fluid!

"The car" being which model? I can only comment on the Model 3 ... so for that model, no, it's not normal. I suspect you have a leak or pipe disconnected somewhere.

You definitely have a leak! That is more than I have put in my Tesla M3 in two years!

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Two fills

In truth only you can say whether that's normal! If you've hardly ever used the washers then it may seem a lot but if you've used them a good amount I suppose it may be OK. Obviously only you know how much you have required to use the washers between March and mid September and how that matches with similar experiences of other vehicles. Most people on the UK/Ireland forum (where you are posting) report that, if anything, the washer fluid is used quite sparingly and lasts a surprising length of time. In areas where the roads are salted (even into March where I live) that's when we use most washer fluid. People who are driving at speed on motorways/highways in farming countryside will pick up insect splatter so use a lot in summer ... people who drive on slower roads don't pick up much splatter even if there's lots of insect life around. We aren't likely to know what's normal for your area of California and pattern of driving!

Plot twist: Elon decides to remove the fluid sensor to save money and instead uses AI model to calculate how much fluid has been used based on recent and predicted weather, along with how many times the wash function has been selected.
I guess I shouldn't make such a joke about it right?!

Reactions: spdpsba
The Imperial gallon is a unit of volume in the imperial system of units, where the US gallon is used exclusively in the United States. The imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon. The gallon is commonly used to measure volumes of fuel for vehicles. Miles per gallon are a unit often used for fuel consumption.

The Imperial pint contains 20 British fluid oz equal to 28.413 ml each. The American pint, by contrast, contains 16 US fluid oz equal to 29.574 ml each. This makes the US fluid ounce 4% larger than the Imperial one. The Imperial pint is approximately 20% larger than the US pint.

Last edited:
Plot twist: Elon decides to remove the fluid sensor to save money and instead uses AI model to calculate how much fluid has been used based on recent and predicted weather, along with how many times the wash function has been selected.
I guess I shouldn't make such a joke about it right?!
I think I would like that - great conversation topic to tell all your annoying friends from Norway that how your amazing Tesla can calculate washing fluid and make them leave the party early :) - a good retort for their constant chattering about Tesla graveyard in Norway.