Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washer Fluid Low!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Don't worry...this won't be like all the other posts :rolleyes:

Mine actually has a fault. Has been throwing this message up for about a week, even with a full bottle. Booked in for service, no quibble, warranty repair.

£13 parts. £165 labour? Assuming that is the minimum they would charge out of warranty.

The only weird thing is for me....out of all the things to go wrong on a car, the washer fluid sensor seems a strange one. I've never had that problem before on any vehicle. I know any electronics can fail but yeah, it just feels a bit weird.

Still if that is the only thing I have to deal with after 2 years of ownership then happy days!

Sorry for the "funny", but that did actually make me laugh. Just the thought of somebody pouring fluid into the washer bottle until it overflowed and it still saying "washer fluid low". Yeah, odd issue indeed but I guess if anything had to go wrong that's a good one.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Sometimes certain wash fluid can start to solidify and cause issues. Normally it’s after many years, but who knows what might be going on.

The solution is normally to remove wash bottle (often along with sensor and motor) and flush out gel then flush everything through to the washer jets - ideally trying to reverse flush first. That normally sorts the issue.

Might be worth seeing if it’s easily doable before handing over £££ to Tesla who may just do the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
guys, i immediately installed the washer fluid stainless steel strainer/filters on both of my Tees
did not seem good that such a delicate pump would have no debris protection
here is one source, but google for many others for both the M3 and My

Honestly I've never even considered putting a filter on screen wash....maybe I should.

TBH, its probably totally unnecessary unless you use contaminated/old washer fluid or in incredibly dirty environment. Yes, my other cars all have a little strainer, and yes I do use a funnel with a filter, but only because that's what it came with, and other funnels that I have don't have one and this never concerns me.

Irrespective, a filter wont help with the issue of fluid starting to turn to gel over time. That all happens in the washer bottle.

guys, i immediately installed the washer fluid stainless steel strainer/filters on both of my Tees
did not seem good that such a delicate pump would have no debris protection
here is one source, but google for many others for both the M3 and My

That's new one on me! I don't recall having a strainer on the washer fluid in previous cars ... or having a blockage caused by debris.

The only weird thing is for me....out of all the things to go wrong on a car, the washer fluid sensor seems a strange one. I've never had that problem before on any vehicle. I know any electronics can fail but yeah, it just feels a bit weird.
If you're in a hard water area is there any possibility that limescale may have rendered the sensor faulty?

I don't live in a hard water area but do buy screen wash concentrate and mix it with deionised water. Probably completely unnecessary.

As an aside, denture cleaning tablets popped into the washer bottle every few years are supposed to help remove any build up of minerals.

• Informative
Reactions: Overworked
If you're in a hard water area is there any possibility that limescale may have rendered the sensor faulty?

I don't live in a hard water area but do buy screen wash concentrate and mix it with deionised water. Probably completely unnecessary.

As an aside, denture cleaning tablets popped into the washer bottle every few years are supposed to help remove any build up of minerals.
+1

I would suspect hard water used as a dilution agent as the culprit more likely than debris from lack of a filter at the filling entrance. I'm the same as you in using de-ionised water when mixing screenwash. If on the road and caught out needing a top up, just buy the pre-diluted versions. The Tesla seems to hold a rather large amount of screenwash so topping up is an infrequent task anyway.