Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington: Centralia to White Pass roundtrip in Model Y LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y Long Range doesn't think it can make the Centralia WA Supercharger to White Pass ski area and back to the Centralia Supercharger. Instead it tries to take me over to Yakima, and loop back over I-90... Does anyone have experience with an out-and-back from the Centralia WA supercharger to White Pass ski area? Thanks

I have driven over white pass to Yakima in my Model 3 LR. What I can say is you will be going down hill from 4500 FT to Centralia Elevation 187 FT and make better range on return trip. Are you using onboard trip or Go Anywhere Tesla ? Or another APP ?

ABRP - Model Y Long Range - 48% to get there Uphill 27% to get back Downhill
1673824951293.png

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and 777Path
I have driven over white pass to Yakima in my Model 3 LR. What I can say is you will be going down hill from 4500 FT to Centralia Elevation 187 FT and make better range on return trip. Are you using onboard trip or Go Anywhere Tesla ? Or another APP ?
Thanks, I've only tried to use the on-board Nav screen but when it said it couldn't do it I chickened out...

Was your Charge at 100% or Near when you used the Nav Screen? Nav Screen uses your current battery charge to calculate .
I was at 80% but was already routed through the Centralia WA supercharger on the Nav screen so I figured it would tell me to charge to whatever it needed at the Centralia supercharger to make it back from White Pass. I'll try sitting on the centralia supercharger to 90 or 95% sometime and see if the onboard nav changes it's mind or always wants to take the long way back through Yakima/I-90.

I was at 80% but was already routed through the Centralia WA supercharger on the Nav screen so I figured it would tell me to charge to whatever it needed at the Centralia supercharger to make it back from White Pass. I'll try sitting on the centralia supercharger to 90 or 95% sometime and see if the onboard nav changes it's mind or always wants to take the long way back through Yakima/I-90.
You aren't required to follow the instructions of the Nav. As with any computer system, it is fallible.

Reactions: GSP
You had a multi stop trip entered into the nav? With your starting destination entered as the end with white pass ski area as an intermediate destination? While you were charging at Centralia? Depending on how you had it entered it may not be providing accurate results.

FYI for anyone else wondering about this, it does work! Pretty easily. Though the in car nav didn't say it would work until I was near 90% sitting on the Chehalis charger, then it said it would work (vs. having to go charge in Yakima for the return trip).

Model Y long range, Feb 2023, 35F, wet roads:
Left new Chehalis supercharger at 90% state of charge. Arrived at White pass with 47%, left White Pass with 44% and arrived back at Chehalis supercharger at 17% state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
My 2022 MYP did not make it. I have 19" wheels on. Charged to 100% in Chehalis before departing, one passenger, and some light snowboarding gear, chill driving mode, very slow and steady up the pass. Arrived at the top with 43%, no sentry mode, no preconditioning, 17 degrees, heavy snow, slush ice, extremely cold and moderately windy. 7 hours of snowboarding, started down the mountain, 41% on departure. Spotty LTE service, first update said SOC arrival 4%, okay good. Second spotty LTE update -2%, okay not good. Finally made it to service -4% SOC arrival. Mind you I'm driving 35mph down the mountain, being passed by Subarus ,trucks etc. Maintained 20-35mph the entire way down. Stopped at Mossyrock to plug into a 110 outlet in a shell station at 11pm. Stayed there for about 45 minutes, then left to Chehalis and arrived with 0%. My takeaway: This absolutely sucked. 99 miles one way. So 198 miles round trip. I had to turn off the HVAC on the way down the mountain to conserve energy. I understand managing expectations with the current state of EV's and charging infrastructure, but I did my homework and ABPR indicated I would make it with 10% and so did the Tesla trip computer. I decided to drive as conservatively as possible to err on the side of caution. This for me was a partial deal breaker for Teslas and winter. If there had been a Level 2 charger on the top of the pass or somewhere close, I would have felt much more confident. A $75,000 9 month old car should be able to make a 200 mile trip no questions asked. I can't imagine if this had been some sort of emergency or a mandatory trip rather than recreation.
IMG_2746.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: 777Path and GSP
My 2022 MYP did not make it. I have 19" wheels on. Charged to 100% in Chehalis before departing, one passenger, and some light snowboarding gear, chill driving mode, very slow and steady up the pass. Arrived at the top with 43%, no sentry mode, no preconditioning, 17 degrees, heavy snow, slush ice, extremely cold and moderately windy. 7 hours of snowboarding, started down the mountain, 41% on departure. Spotty LTE service, first update said SOC arrival 4%, okay good. Second spotty LTE update -2%, okay not good. Finally made it to service -4% SOC arrival. Mind you I'm driving 35mph down the mountain, being passed by Subarus ,trucks etc. Maintained 20-35mph the entire way down. Stopped at Mossyrock to plug into a 110 outlet in a shell station at 11pm. Stayed there for about 45 minutes, then left to Chehalis and arrived with 0%. My takeaway: This absolutely sucked. 99 miles one way. So 198 miles round trip. I had to turn off the HVAC on the way down the mountain to conserve energy. I understand managing expectations with the current state of EV's and charging infrastructure, but I did my homework and ABPR indicated I would make it with 10% and so did the Tesla trip computer. I decided to drive as conservatively as possible to err on the side of caution. This for me was a partial deal breaker for Teslas and winter. If there had been a Level 2 charger on the top of the pass or somewhere close, I would have felt much more confident. A $75,000 9 month old car should be able to make a 200 mile trip no questions asked. I can't imagine if this had been some sort of emergency or a mandatory trip rather than recreation. View attachment 906713
The road conditions already mentioned above were a huge factor. But also at those temps, your battery would have been completely cold-soaked while you were parked on the mountain. And that causes you to get reduced regen. I'm guessing you had it reduced pretty much the whole way down. One other thing that might have helped is to not navigate directly to the supercharger, but rather to a nearby address. The battery uses its own power to precondition for supercharging which would have cost you something in the 2-5% range. Tesla should have a software update where they turn it off when the arrival percentage is low, but until then, we have to outsmart the computer.

The battery uses its own power to precondition for supercharging which would have cost you something in the 2-5% range. Tesla should have a software update where they turn it off when the arrival percentage is low, but until then, we have to outsmart the computer
Wait, really?? Tesla turns off interior preconditioning and sentry at low charge, but will keep preconditioning the battery to the point where you’re stranded short of the supercharger? That’s crazy!! I always assumed that it turned off preconditioning when the arrival percentage dropped below something like 5%, but I’ve never pushed it enough to find out for sure. Glad I didn’t!

One other thing that might have helped is to not navigate directly to the supercharger, but rather to a nearby address. The battery uses its own power to precondition for supercharging which would have cost you something in the 2-5% range. Tesla should have a software update where they turn it off when the arrival percentage is low, but until then, we have to outsmart the computer.

Wait, really?? Tesla turns off interior preconditioning and sentry at low charge, but will keep preconditioning the battery to the point where you’re stranded short of the supercharger? That’s crazy!! I always assumed that it turned off preconditioning when the arrival percentage dropped below something like 5%, but I’ve never pushed it enough to find out for sure. Glad I didn’t!
Kyle Conner to the rescue:

On the previous leg of this trip, the car used 22.7% just for preconditioning, but on this leg his projected arrival had him at a low single-digit percentage – and the car did not precondition for that leg; it arrived cold(ish) and charged slow(er), but he made it (with a quick pit stop along the way) – though I imagine if it was really cold-soaked, it might have behaved differently.