Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok guys, so I am still a little floored on this whole process. Yesterday my EDD bumped back again and I was in Bellevue today so I stopped by the Bellevue Mall location. Talked with a manager who actually seems to know what the hell they are doing. Long story short every time my trade in valuation expired it was resetting my profile completion date and bumping me further back in line. They tell me this is a well known issue that has been happening for a long time and they have been telling their customers to not enter trade in information until they are assigned a VIN to avoid the issue. So if you want to get a vehicle assigned to you no matter what your situation is select no trade in and cash as method of payment and you go to the front of the line. If you select financing or trade in you get bumped back every 30 days. Apparently this is only the case with orders prior to about January 24th. After that they changed how the queue is processed to correct this issue and for those orders only order date is considered for assigning vehicles within their zones and then the batching process that others have already discussed on here. Still seems like utter bullshit to me that this was intentionally programmed to be this way even though it delayed orders with trade ins or financing. According to the guy I talked to every sales advisor in the company is aware of this issue and there have been “numerous” communications on how to get around it to all sales advisors.

Ok guys, so I am still a little floored on this whole process. Yesterday my EDD bumped back again and I was in Bellevue today so I stopped by the Bellevue Mall location. Talked with a manager who actually seems to know what the hell they are doing. Long story short every time my trade in valuation expired it was resetting my profile completion date and bumping me further back in line. They tell me this is a well known issue that has been happening for a long time and they have been telling their customers to not enter trade in information until they are assigned a VIN to avoid the issue. So if you want to get a vehicle assigned to you no matter what your situation is select no trade in and cash as method of payment and you go to the front of the line. If you select financing or trade in you get bumped back every 30 days. Apparently this is only the case with orders prior to about January 24th. After that they changed how the queue is processed to correct this issue and for those orders only order date is considered for assigning vehicles within their zones and then the batching process that others have already discussed on here. Still seems like utter bullshit to me that this was intentionally programmed to be this way even though it delayed orders with trade ins or financing. According to the guy I talked to every sales advisor in the company is aware of this issue and there have been “numerous” communications on how to get around it to all sales advisors.
Thanks for the info, this may help some people get moving.

No trade here, profile complete, picked cash option, see profile for EDD changes.

To be fair, I did have a VIN assigned towards the end of Nov, called and put it on hold until early Dec hoping Build Back Better would pass. Removed hold I believe it was Dec 11th ish.

Well this is certainly maddening

How would that even work? The trade in offer expires after 30 days, so the buyer will theoretically wait indefinitely? That can't be right.

I shared similar information about this back in September. That’s exactly why I still haven’t received my order from last July. Definitely a failure from the sales staff not to communicate this issue proactively previously.

Reactions: night_fury
How would that even work? The trade in offer expires after 30 days, so the buyer will theoretically wait indefinitely? That can't be right.
Not indefinitely, eventually your profile date gets picked up but it would be much later than someone else who ordered at the same time but did not have a trade in or financing renewal. It is not like this is a glitch or anything either, the guy stated several times that the system was working exactly as designed but that it was a poor design that created a lot of issues. Now the question is why would they design it to do this? Only thing I can think of is that they wanted to prioritize non trade in and non financed purchases. Not sure why they would want that but again, it was specifically designed this way and was working exactly as designed so....

Or they could manually assign you a vehicle on their overflow. Apparently 8 AM each morning is when their reports update to them for people who are waiting for vehicles and what vehicles are available to be manually assigned. This relies on your sales advisor specifically going in to assign you a vehicle at 8 AM in the morning and that exact build being available. Renton doesn't even open until 10 so the odds of that happening are probably very low.

Last edited:
Not indefinitely, eventually your profile date gets picked up but it would be much later than someone else who ordered at the same time but did not have a trade in or financing renewal. It is not like this is a glitch or anything either, the guy stated several times that the system was working exactly as designed but that it was a poor design that created a lot of issues. Now the question is why would they design it to do this? Only thing I can think of is that they wanted to prioritize non trade in and non financed purchases. Not sure why they would want that but again, it was specifically designed this way and was working exactly as designed so....
Or they could manually assign you a vehicle on their overflow. Apparently 8 AM each morning is when their reports update to them for people who are waiting for vehicles and what vehicles are available to be manually assigned. This relies on your sales advisor specifically going in to assign you a vehicle at 8 AM in the morning and that exact build being available. Renton doesn't even open until 10 so the odds of that happening are probably very low.
So would it be better to wait until a VIN is assigned then ask to set up trade in?

I shared similar information about this back in September. That’s exactly why I still haven’t received my order from last July. Definitely a failure from the sales staff not to communicate this issue proactively previously.
We have similar OD and EDD!

My order was also screwed due to miscommunication from the SA. I was told, that my financing would expire before the car is delivered, so hold off that step until VIN assignment.

And guess what, VIN assignment never came. I later found out about this miscommunication after joining this forum.

The worst part is tesla has no mechanism to escalate issues like these.

Reactions: TL333
Yes, wait until you have a VIN then put in trade in info.
And I think I just fell victim to this - my EDD just got push back another three weeks (on both sides of the window, see my signature). Which could be bad, as my wife and I are going on a vacation at the end of May, in addition to having the car for yard work towing this spring and summer. Time to talk with my SA about this...

Interestingly, I just talked with my SA here in Spokane today, and she says that Tesla doesn't go by profile completion date anymore - just order date. Said they used to, but it's not been a thing for a while. I'm asking her if it would still be best to remove my trade-in from the order to until the VIN is assigned.

Really hoping that this can get a little straightened out, as the timing is starting to get a bit hairy...

Interestingly, I just talked with my SA here in Spokane today, and she says that Tesla doesn't go by profile completion date anymore - just order date. Said they used to, but it's not been a thing for a while. I'm asking her if it would still be best to remove my trade-in from the order to until the VIN is assigned.

Really hoping that this can get a little straightened out, as the timing is starting to get a bit hairy...
My take is that EDD "timing" is nothing more than a rough prognostication. Until you have a VIN assigned, it's nothing you can anchor around in terms of planning tasks or events like financing, selling an existing vehicle, taking vacations, and so on...

My take is that EDD "timing" is nothing more than a rough prognostication. Until you have a VIN assigned, it's nothing you can anchor around in terms of planning tasks or events like financing, selling an existing vehicle, taking vacations, and so on...
Oh I know, we went something similar with our Model 3 in 2019 - but that only lasted about a month or so. Harder to not plan vacations (that have been postponed by COVID) and such when you have such big windows of time.

I've passed my scheduling concerns along to my SA, so at least it's known about. Not that it will make much difference, but at least I can feel better about them knowing. It's better than just stewing about it for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
This would be perfectly acceptable if people who ordered in January weren't getting delivered now while people who ordered in November are still waiting. There should be some sense to it and right now there isn't. And no one at Tesla gives an F at all.

Been having some good chats with my SA about my situation, and we've taken my trade-in off for now, until the VIN is assigned. And she's going to try and nab me a VIN if one becomes available (she doesn't have high hopes on that one, but it's nice to hear that she's willing to do so).