Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Pooling in Frunk After Automated Touchless Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I was just wondering if any other Model 3 owners have experienced this. I just took my car through an automated touchless car wash for the second time (took delivery in Sept 2018) and confirmed that water seeps into the frunk and pools up after the car wash. Sometime after the first car wash, I did notice items in the frunk were damp and the front of the mat was damp. Had to take everything out to dry, and have mostly left the frunk empty to see if the moisture ever re-accumulated. Totally dry through a few weeks of rainy Pacific NW weather until my second car wash today. Is there supposed to be a seal on the frunk that was missed?

My frunk also got soaked after spraying down my car. Thankfully, the tools in my frunk were wrapped in a bag.

If I take it to the service center, how long will the fix take? Is there any downside in requesting mobile service?

My frunk also got soaked after spraying down my car. Thankfully, the tools in my frunk were wrapped in a bag.

If I take it to the service center, how long will the fix take? Is there any downside in requesting mobile service?

Depends on the Service Center, my local one usually takes a day to fix most issues. I'll drop it off in the morning and it's ready to pick up by evening. Although of course this depends on the issue, parts availability, etc.

No real downside to mobile service, but Tesla will schedule accordingly. Tesla Mobile Service can't do everything (such as issues what require a lift or road testing) so when you schedule your appointment, Tesla will let you know if it is an option for your case. I've found Tesla Mobile Service to be able to get to me a lot quicker than waiting for availability at the Service Center. They do it right at your home or office and there's no need to wait at the Service Center or wait for a loaner car.

Glad you got it fixed. i1Tesla on youtube did a video on install of Frunk lights and he put his video cam in the frunk and closed the lid and you could see a light gap through his seal. I was curious so I did the same today on mine and no visible light from inside the frunk when closed.

Took my 2017 Model 3 LR into a touchless car wash for the 1st time. I had water in frunk that damaged everything organic in 3 days of SoCal sun. Had to throw out 2 hoodies and other paper items. I thought since it was over a year old I could stop hand detailing at $50 a pop but nooooo!!!! This is unacceptable and adds to the total cost of overship!!!!

Took my 2017 Model 3 LR into a touchless car wash for the 1st time. I had water in frunk that damaged everything organic in 3 days of SoCal sun. Had to throw out 2 hoodies and other paper items. I thought since it was over a year old I could stop hand detailing at $50 a pop but nooooo!!!! This is unacceptable and adds to the total cost of overship!!!!
Take it in and have the seal replaced/frunk lid adjusted. Not sure why you thought it would be less likely to leak after a year?

I have a 2023 model 3, went to Fremont service center twice and they said it is design flaw and no solution at this moment. I left without any fix from them and service center just gave me a shrug on my frunk soaked with pool of water

Attachments

• PXL_20230109_165612110.jpg
    PXL_20230109_165612110.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 204
I have had this issue with my 2021 (on multiple occasions) - they fixed it as a warrantee item (first time they tried to fix it the SC actually found it on their own - I didn’t even realize it was leaking). I think the repair involved some combination of a new seal and perhaps adjusting the lid. It took them surprisingly long (couple of days) and when they were done they did reiterate the “you really should avoid high pressure water of any sort” line. Which definitely felt like “that’s the best we can do”. So far I have not noticed additional moisture. But I also don’t use it much anymore due to the leaks.

I have water pooling in the frunk after heavy rain since the very beginning of my ownership.
I took photos of the fact and brought it up at the SC more than once. The reply was always "we couldn't replicate, so no idea where the water could be entering. Bye."
Needless to say, this is one of unfortunately many instances in which I couldn't be helped and the car performance is simply subpar.

• Funny
Reactions: George75
I have a 2023 MYLR and have experienced the frunk having water after a hand wash with low water pressure. The SC replaced the lower seal to see if that does the trick. I'd highly recommend checking everything the SC does before leaving the SC. When they first tried to give it back to me I saw that they just lowered the hood to make the seal better but this mis-allied the bumper and the fenders as well as created a hood/fender panel gap that was ½ inch with the other side about ⅛ inch. (idiots) They took it back in and realigned the hood with the exception of the front of the hood being ⅛ inch low but the fenders lined up correctly, so we'll see if this works. if this doesn't work I think I'll do a DIY job to seal it by adding more seal on the upper gasket.