TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wax On, Wax Off. When To Wax A New Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by retinadoc, Jan 27, 2013.

1. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

I vaguely recall being told by Audi that you should not wax a brand new car that has come directly from the factory. The paint needs to "settle" for approximately 2 months. Any truth to this?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No. The factory paint is baked on. It will be as cured as it's going to get.

3. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

That's good news since my S has been waxed twice already. :cool:

I do try to limit the amount of times a radial buffer is used to reduce the wear and tear on the clear coat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

4. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I hand waxed mine a few weeks in. The dirt was starting to take root and didn't want to wait any longer. So I had it professionally hand washed and I waxed it myself back at home. Lot of work, but the shine is worth it!
    I was concerned that a small amount of paint (dust?) came off on my lint free towels. Made me all the happier to get it protected. A little later I'll get it protected with a real sealer like 22PLE or Opti-Coat 2.0.

Car Care: Waxed my S this weekend - photos....

5. strider

strider Active Member

As Jerry said, that only applies to aftermarket paint jobs from a body shop or whatever. Wax away!