Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t hate AI. It is a remarkable brute force tool which is useful in many areas today and shows promise elsewhere. It’s pretty exciting.

It’s far from clear it will work for autonomous driving without further breakthroughs.

I just cannot fathom how what I posted (note again that I did not post the second thing I posted) when the response was “reckless driving” can be taken as leading the witness.
“Reckless driving” could have applied to the turning vehicle but you lead the witness with your follow up messages.

Only generating enough demand to keep ~300 cars busy in one of the world's best ride-hail markets is really bad news for scaling.

I think you are not looking at it right. Waymo is not going to stay at 300 cars. Now that the waitlist is over, demand will exceed what 300 cars can handle. So Waymo will add more cars. So I see it as very good for scaling because it means Waymo will grow their fleet to meet the new demand.

I think you are not looking at it right. Waymo is not going to stay at 300 cars. Now that the waitlist is over, demand will exceed what 300 cars can handle. So Waymo will add more cars. So I see it as very good for scaling because it means Waymo will grow their fleet to meet the new demand.

Demand will also very much depend on the pricing. If scale allows Waymo to lower prices, then people will naturally choose it over alternatives like Uber and Lyft.

But from what I can find right now, Waymo can be more expensive than the alternatives. Here's some discussion about the pricing from 5 months ago:

Now that the waitlist is over, demand will exceed what 300 cars can handle.
This makes no sense. A waitlist exists when demand exceeds supply. The waitlist is gone because supply is now sufficient.

I'm not saying the fleet will stay at 300 cars forever. But it will until they figure out how to grow demand. Until today each time they wanted to grow the fleet and increase revenue they just needed to pull customers off the wait list. Now they have to go out and attract new customers. That's hard to do. Just ask anyone in business.

Reactions: DanCar and flutas
This makes no sense. A waitlist exists when demand exceeds supply. The waitlist is gone because supply is now sufficient.

I'm not saying the fleet will stay at 300 cars forever. But it will until they figure out how to grow demand. Until today each time they wanted to grow the fleet and increase revenue they just needed to pull customers off the wait list. Now they have to go out and attract new customers. That's hard to do. Just ask anyone in business.
According to some reports from customers, the waitlist was over 100K people about a month or so ago. So with the waitlist over and rides available for all, that's quite a few customers read to start using.

According to some reports from customers, the waitlist was over 100K people about a month or so ago. So with the waitlist over and rides available for all, that's quite a few customers read to start using.
Actually I think Waymo claimed that in August last year:

Wasn't able to find user statistics for Uber/Lyft, but was able to find trip statistics that says 38.5M trips were made in San Francisco in 2020, so more than 1M trips per day (note this included Covid with the report pointing out ridership dropped significantly post-Covid vs pre-Covid):

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld

Wasn't able to find user statistics for Uber/Lyft, but was able to find trip statistics that says 38.5M trips were made in San Francisco in 2020, so more than 1M trips per day (not this included Covid with the report pointing our ridership dropped significantly post-Covid vs pre-Covid):

My comment was based on Waymo sub-reddit discussions from current Waymo customers, and the comments about recent waitlists were about 1-2 months ago or so. Here are a few comments from about 2 months ago:

200,000+ is the full number of requests and over half are approved per Waymo. We are getting lots of reports of short wait times on the list of 1-2 months and several out of state request being approved.

Perfect, I just added my name to the waitlist this week. Only 100,000 people before me.

Wasn't able to find user statistics for Uber/Lyft, but was able to find trip statistics that says 38.5M trips were made in San Francisco in 2020, so more than 1M trips per day (note this included Covid with the report pointing out ridership dropped significantly post-Covid vs pre-Covid):

Waymo's wait list size was calculated by the same people who estimated the number of Cybertruck reservations.

It appears that there are over 6,000 Rideshare Drivers in San Fransisco.
The most surprising numbers from SFCTA’s report are the sheer volume of rides being given by Uber and Lyft: more than 150,000 intra-San Francisco trips per day, which is roughly 15 percent of all vehicle trips taken within the city and more than ten times the number of taxi trips. How long will it take Waymo to reach even half of these trips a Day?

So is your option ALL business are doomed to fail? Sure there are no guarantees of success but that is NO RESION not to try.
Don't be ridiculous, almost all businesses get along just fine without rapid growth. Waymo is not most businesses, they need huge scale to survive. I'm a fan of their technology (though less so after PoleGate). It's their business metrics that worry me.

They already invited those 100k over the last month. The wait list is over because there's nobody left on it to invite. The blog post says almost 300k SF riders downloaded the app. That's 1 in 4 SF residents, very impressive. But they're only doing ~3k rides a day in SF. So their average customer takes one ride every 100 days??? Holy crap.

Imagine Tesla today announced the Cybertruck wait list was over after <15k deliveries. No reservation needed, order today and take delivery next week. Would that be a sign of strong demand?

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and flutas