Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I believe Waymo will do that. But it won't be with the Jaguars. They will buy 10k of the Geely vehicles. That is what the Geely custom vehicle is for.
When will they take delivery of the 10,000th Geely? I say 2026, but it could be 2027. Volume production starts in 2024, but Waymo will test with safety drivers a year or more. I was talking about buying 10k Jaguars this year. That's the aggressive (and risky) move.

They are far cheaper than the Jaguars.
Not really. I-Pace sales are way down, Waymo could probably buy 10k of them for 45k each. Maybe 40k. Zeekr is probably 30k after the 27.5% tariff. A 10-15k upfront cost difference spread over a 500k mile vehicle life is 2-3 cents per mile. You don't delay deployment three years over that.

As for how many Waymo deploys, I imagine that is entirely up to Cruise/GM as their expansion path (Origin deliveries also start end of 2023) is likely much more capital efficient.
I agree 100% Waymo will mostly just react to Cruise. But Cruise isn't even testing on highways yet. They seem focused on central business districts.

I don't see how Origin is more capital efficient. It's a low volume, custom design built by UAW workers. Zeekr is a minivan without a steering wheel, built on a volume platform in China. Zeekr is much cheaper without the tariff, and might be cheaper even with it.

Waymo will add highways and service approximately *all of phoenix by the end of 2023, guaranteed. I am certain of that. This is not a question mark.
Mocking Musk, are we? I approve!

On a serious note, this deal does allow them to cover all of Phoenix with a tiny fleet if they wish. I just don't think they will. Why add unnecessary logistics and support costs? Ruth would not approve....

As for highways, they were a necessity before this deal and now they're not. But maybe you're right and they'll add them anyway. They have to eventually, after all, and it's a much-needed point of differentiation vs. Cruise in the race for cognoscenti mind share and investor dollars.

I don't see how Origin is more capital efficient. It's a low volume, custom design built by UAW workers. Zeekr is a minivan without a steering wheel, built on a volume platform in China. Zeekr is much cheaper without the tariff, and might be cheaper even with it.

It's mostly the accounting differences.

For GM, the capital is the portion of factory line (robotics, building, ...) allotted to building that vehicle type. Input parts and labour they put into creating the vehicle are operations. In short, the amount GM needs to borrow to build 10k vehicles on a shared assembly line is far far less than what Waymo would need to borrow to purchase 10k finished vehicles.

Cruise operations budget may not look terribly good but they'll have access to essentially any fleet size they can monetize.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
As for highways, they were a necessity before this deal and now they're not. But maybe you're right and they'll add them anyway. They have to eventually, after all, and it's a much-needed point of differentiation vs. Cruise in the race for cognoscenti mind share and investor dollars.
I wonder whether Google will spin off Waymo like Intel did with MobilEye. That would be a good move considering commercial uncertainties.

Waymo Distribution Centre modifications in central SF halted. Waymo's conditional authorization and permits claimed it was converting it into a 44 space parking garage, and the union claims Waymo intends to use the warehouse for goods (package) handling too.

While it doesn't impact vehicle automation directly, this may impact their business case (at least in the short-term).

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
Waymo engineer shares some examples of the Waymo Driver handling construction zones. IMO, the visualizations and the engineer's explanations give some insight into what the Waymo Driver is seeing and doing.

I think this quote is noteworthy as it gives us some info into specific areas where Waymo has improved:

"We've made tremendous improvements in how we handle construction, especially since we've scaled our operations in San Francisco. For example, we how have a much richer semantic understanding of road signs, and we're also much better at doing lane estimation, which is the act of predicting which lanes are drivable to navigate through construction. And we're doing this in a very scalable way that has also generalized to downtown Phoenix as well."

• Informative
Reactions: Bitdepth
How this effect Waymo or not at all?

The recall only affects certain 2019-2024 models. So not all I-Paces are affected. So it depends on whether any of the Waymo I-Pace vehicles are part of the recall. If they are not, then it does not affect Waymo at all. If they are then Waymo would likely have to take the I-Paces to get the battery cells replaced. It might even be something Waymo can do themselves. So it could temporarily affect the ride-hailing while the vehicles get serviced.

The recall only affects certain 2019-2024 models. So not all I-Paces are affected.
My understanding is it is every I-PACE made up until a recent date that they haven't specified:

Jaguar Land Rover is conducting a voluntary safety recall campaign involving all 2019-2024MY Jaguar I-PACE vehicles built at the Graz Vehicle Assembly Plant from June 5, 2018 - TBD. 6367 vehicles in the United States and Federalized Territories.

My understanding is it is every I-PACE made up until a recent date that they haven't specified:

Thanks. But like I said, even if the recall does impact Waymo, we don't know the extent of the impact. In any case, it is not like Waymo will lose their fleet, the recall just means the cars have to get some battery cells replaced and a software patch. So it is just a matter of getting the cars serviced which can be done by Jaguar or maybe by Waymo themselves. So the impact of the recall will be temporary.