Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze thru Android auto / Apple carplay seems like a no-brainer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many people want Waze functionality on their nav (I use it daily). Why wouldn't Tesla offer us a user sizeable window in the UI to accommodate android auto or Apple carplay just for this? Certainly Tesla doesn't think it can pull off what Waze can do? Since they must know that they can't match Waze for many aspects, why not admit it and offer a totally safe sandboxed window in the UI? Waze will never offer the supercharging planning or details. So we the customers need both. I really just don't get it. Give me both

Maybe I'm an undemanding user but built-in maps have done me fine for the 2 months I've owned the car and certainly far better than my old Garmin Nav. What's so great about Waze? (i.e. what am I missing that I didn't realise)

Maybe I'm an undemanding user but built-in maps have done me fine for the 2 months I've owned the car and certainly far better than my old Garmin Nav. What's so great about Waze? (i.e. what am I missing that I didn't realise)
Waze will tell you about things you might want to watch out for. Potholes in the roads, disabled vehicles on the side of the road, police, icy roads, etc.... It allows people to put in their own description of congestion so you don't have to wait for whatever the automated traffic systems send out to be consumed by traffic apps.

Reactions: T-Will
Accurate Traffic, cop warnings, road hazards to name the big ones. Crowd sourced and pretty damn accurate.

My guess is they're planning their own crowd sourced maps once they can get enough Teslas on the road.

Waze would be perfect for the 3 right now. Give that beautiful screen some more use. Drivers could use the voice command and passengers could use the touchscreen.

I use Waze everytime I drive and ignore the built-in nav. I also use Spotify on my phone and ignore Slacker. The builtin screen is pretty much a beautiful waste of dashboard space. Might as well put the rest of car controls inside the Tesla mobile app and just call it a day.

I'm really not sure why people think these cars are so advanced. By design, they don't have many tech features that are now standard on cars in the 20-30k range.

On the upside, the screen is a great place to put a suction mount. Perfectly located. :)

Tesla mentioned about sharing data with third parties in the latest maps t&cs
I'm hoping that they share data in real time with Waze, making them both more accurate.
Actually, I guess when autopilot/FSD is available, Tesla's system will be much better as it will be swiched on all of the time and may be able to log accidents / closures on the other side of the road and on nearby roads as well. Also the accuracy will be much improved.
Obviously, in the meantime, a Waze data share would be the best option imo

I tried waze before and went back to google maps. It was a while ago so maybe I should try it again. I found google maps to give better directions and much better voice control. Lots of the things reported on waze were not accurate when I tried it. I can see using waze over apple maps though :)

Waze is crowd sourced, that means the roads are crowd sourced too. When we bought our cabin Waze took us on a mountain top fire road to get to the cabin as the street below showed you could not turn on it. But when I noticed, I was able to fix it myself. Google and Apple are not that sophisticated.

The crowd means that the traffic reports are really accurate. Also the re-routing is very imaginative. I have gotten around some amazing jams

-Randy

Google (and other large internet/tech companies) have a history of demanding significant concessions/payment for allowing their properties to be included in another company's platform/product, or visa versa. It may be data sharing, in-app advertising, who knows. A Model X owner I know was able to get the web version working in his vehicle. My understanding is that the TM3 has no browser. Correct?

Google (and other large internet/tech companies) have a history of demanding significant concessions/payment for allowing their properties to be included in another company's platform/product, or visa versa. It may be data sharing, in-app advertising, who knows. A Model X owner I know was able to get the web version working in his vehicle. My understanding is that the TM3 has no browser. Correct?
Correct, model 3 currently lacks a browser

Yea, for sure. And if you want to use a music service through Apple CarPlay, it better be Apple Music.

AdroidAuto on the otherhand.....

Is that right? I had a rental last month that had CarPlay and I thought most of my music services were available? I didn't listed to music, but I know for sure Cast Podcast Player was available. Apple Maps was the only map option.

Tesla actually has the one feature that Waze needs, which is the "Don't re-route me unless it saves X time"

Waze can put you through some crazy things to save 30 seconds, and as far as I know, there's no setting like the Tesla setting.

That being said, when I'm going somewhere I don't know, i'll run Waze to see what it says.

I haven't had the car long enough to see if it will totally re-route you because of a crash, or major traffic.

Tesla actually has the one feature that Waze needs, which is the "Don't re-route me unless it saves X time"

Waze can put you through some crazy things to save 30 seconds, and as far as I know, there's no setting like the Tesla setting.

That being said, when I'm going somewhere I don't know, i'll run Waze to see what it says.

I haven't had the car long enough to see if it will totally re-route you because of a crash, or major traffic.
I agree with you 100% for crazy reroutes. Thing is that you don't know if it is going to save you 1 minutes or 60...I have found that I force a way point to gauge the savings because it is not smart enough.
I like the traffic and hazard and police reporting the most

Spotify and Pandora both work with CarPlay.
Yep just confirming this. Most of the audio apps I regularly use have integrated carplay into their apps.

I would love to see Tesla offer these options as a way to let the user utilize the power of their phones and the apps we are used to. They won't. Apple and Google are seen as competition in the autonomous driving space and I just cannot imagine Tesla giving them that satisfaction. Do I like this? Not as a consumer. I could imagine Tesla creating an integration with Spotify later this year. I hope to eat my words and see Carplay!