Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We’ve seen S3XY buttons, but a S3XY knob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6536.jpeg
IMG_6535.jpeg

Found this today while looking for an update on the Ctrl-Bar.

Reactions: fsb1
I actually am thinking of pre-ordering this. It's 40% off but more importantly comes worh their new commander and compatible with the s3xy buttons - for that alone it's worth it.
Lastly, that looks like 4 buttons integrated on the base....

this looks really nice, but I have one of those USB hubs that goes in the same place. It’s smaller than this and I already have a hard time reaching into that compartment. This will make it even more challenging. Judging by the eye only, this looks about double the size.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and fsb1
this looks really nice, but I have one of those USB hubs that goes in the same place. It’s smaller than this and I already have a hard time reaching into that compartment. This will make it even more challenging. Judging by the eye only, this looks about double the size.
This is exactly my concern. Enhauto has never shown us the actual size of the unit that sits inside the console during their launch video or any photos on their website.

pretty compact - only USB for power I guess for the main unit.

How easy is it to get to the connections needed for teh commander unit? Was never interseted in the buttons - design and issues with placement put me off. This looks to address that.

I hope you can have buttons that just ‘do’ something - the video only shows buttons that shortcut to a setting that you then change with the dial, but I’d sometimes prefer direct - eg steering wheel heating on/off, or toggling seat heat settings I don’t need a dial for.

View attachment 962711View attachment 962712

Found this today while looking for an update on the Ctrl-Bar.

dang, what happened to early bird pricing? its not sept 1 yet. page says $269

Reactions: zoomer0056
Does the first picture incite that it lets you set regen amount?

yes, buttons can too. some hidden elements much like coding other cars let you do. I think there are limitations based on whether you install behind the centre console, or in the footwell - the rear has fewer features open to you but likely thats where I’ll put it for simplicity of install.

yes, buttons can too. some hidden elements much like coding other cars let you do. I think there are limitations based on whether you install behind the centre console, or in the footwell - the rear has fewer features open to you but likely thats where I’ll put it for simplicity of install.
If it is know, what feature limitations dependent on the port utilized?

The new commander will be much smaller if the demo videos are to be taken as evidence?

I pre-ordered and just got an email update with advancements in development over the past 30 days with the project. Pretty Cool!

Since previous information has been posted the email says the device is a bit thinner (less deep) to allow more compatibility with 3rd party storage bin dividers, if you have them. They've also listed the updated dimensions. Here's a photo of it I really hadn't seen in my reading before pre ordering.

1693932322987.png

USB ports for power also supposedly moved towards the edge of the unit for better cable routing. Nice touch.

Here's a more recent video that was just posted today. I'm really looking forward to this thing.

As an early pre-orderer I am apparently eligible to receive a set of S3xy buttons with my order if I know anyone who orders after Sept 5. If I can help in any way I'd appreciate a referral so I can get a pair of buttons with my knob. I need one to put on my 3rd party J1772 charger (we also have a PHEV) so my wife can unlock the chargeport and take the charger without me taking my phone out!

Reactions: fsb1
Interest here also, if anyone purchasing after Sep 5th would PM a referral order number, would be thankful also!

Looks like they are reinforcing the backing on the body of the device to help maintain structural integrity as well, as supposedly it was clear from people being a little too rough with the knob that more structural robustness was required.

All interesting changes, hope there is even more refinement to come.

Curious might the knob be able to replace a missing shifting stalk on the refresh for those that feel a screen swipe or overhead selector wouldn't feel natural? is that functionality exposed with the way these devices inject commands?

On some other similar "Knob" interfaces, there are also positional "D pad" controls built into the body to create directional forward/back/left/right selections, in addition to the press down to make a selection.

Wondering if that type of UI might be applicable for this interface as it evolves? Almost seems like that functionality would allow a direct fast selection for features that are not adjustable, or direct selection and modulation without moving hand position.

Would love some kind of non intrusive main screen overlay to navigate also if there were any way to accomplish that.

From my experience with the Mazda system I think once you get it set up the way you want and leave it alone at that point you'll be able to use it without even looking and the screen will be relegated to glancing at for a status or for passenger use. That's my goal anyways with how I want to use it.

Many auto reviewers and first time users dislike the Mazda knob and button system but it was truly awesome (and accurate) when you get used to it.

There are 2 things I'm really looking for in this device:

- I know they're saying there's haptic feedback for selecting pages. That's great. But I hope it's not just 1 buzz to signal you're changing pages. It would be nice if it's 1 buzz to identify page 1, 2 quick buzzes for page 2, 3 quick buzzes for pages 3. This way you absolutely know where you are by feel or by flipping the knob back and forth to confirm what page your on.

- Second is a physical texture to make it clear where the buttons are and where to push. I see they have small and smooth indents in them now and the rest is smooth to blend in with OEM aesthetic. I just hope they're pronounced enough to feel and identify what button you're on and where to push without looking. Sometimes automotive buttons have a smaller nub, or a textured pad so you can clearly feel where you're at without looking and where to engage the button. I just hope the button push pad is obvious enough that you don't have to search around and/or look down to figure out where you're at by feel.

That said, I liked what I saw so far and jumped on the pre-order already so I'm all-in and looking forward to it.

Reactions: zoomer0056