Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need a gesture when passing other Model Xs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So motorcyclist flash the peace sign with lowered left hand when passing other motorcyclists.
There are only a few thousand X's on the road now, with heavier distribution in Southern Cal (Thanks Q1 rush deliveries).
But as the chances of two X's passing each other becoming a higher possibility, we need to establish rules of engagement. I have read of the gesture of crossing index and middle finger, as when crossed for "wish me luck", but I think it is too small to be noticed by passing X owners. Considering the likelihood is greater that many of us could be using autopilot, I have been thinking of the gesture of crossing forearms in an X-pattern and extending them up across your field of view momentarily in a true X shape. What do you all think? We could invite our brethren in the S's to participate, but not sure if they would do so. BTW, is there an accepted gesture to MS owners? Do we all play in the same club such that we should have a 2 handed "Time Out" gesture to indicate "T" for TM? Gestures willingly accepted until we come to a consensus.

In our S we typically wave or flash the lights at other S's and they do the same. I think it would be neat to have a gesture for the X, but I'm afraid it would be too difficult to adopt since so many people don't read forums. Motorcycles have been around a long time and the gesture has had time to propagate--I drive one and I'd say 90% of riders give the gesture.

As I wrote in another thread, last week I and a Sig Red Model X were sharing 90º positions at a traffic signal. I was not in my Model S, but one of my classic Land Cruisers. I opened my window and crossed both hands' fingers in an "X" configuration....and got nary a raised eyebrow of recognition.

I decided he thought I was trying to exorcise him....:(

In the Seattle area there is about a 75% rate of return when I am driving my Model S usually just a flash of the lights or a hand wave above the steering wheel. However driving the Model X I noticed S drivers don't wave. Perhaps they don't recognize it as a Model X or not sure but I was waving like crazy this weekend and not one returned the gesture. Very lonely.

Here north of the Bay Area, my fingers grew giant Arnold Schwarzenegger sized muscles from waving at every Model S that drove past. Now when I'm driving the X, it only seems to work with other Model Xs. I'm sure by the end of the year that'll fade as well.