TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

We need a gesture when passing other Model Xs

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jsollender, Apr 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jsollender

jsollender Member

So motorcyclist flash the peace sign with lowered left hand when passing other motorcyclists.
    There are only a few thousand X's on the road now, with heavier distribution in Southern Cal (Thanks Q1 rush deliveries).
    But as the chances of two X's passing each other becoming a higher possibility, we need to establish rules of engagement. I have read of the gesture of crossing index and middle finger, as when crossed for "wish me luck", but I think it is too small to be noticed by passing X owners. Considering the likelihood is greater that many of us could be using autopilot, I have been thinking of the gesture of crossing forearms in an X-pattern and extending them up across your field of view momentarily in a true X shape. What do you all think? We could invite our brethren in the S's to participate, but not sure if they would do so. BTW, is there an accepted gesture to MS owners? Do we all play in the same club such that we should have a 2 handed "Time Out" gesture to indicate "T" for TM? Gestures willingly accepted until we come to a consensus.

2. proven

proven Member

In our S we typically wave or flash the lights at other S's and they do the same. I think it would be neat to have a gesture for the X, but I'm afraid it would be too difficult to adopt since so many people don't read forums. Motorcycles have been around a long time and the gesture has had time to propagate--I drive one and I'd say 90% of riders give the gesture.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Like the peace sign but with index and middle fingers crossed.

4. idoco

idoco Member

Why not let the car wave...open driver's side FaWD while passing o_O

• Funny x 5
  5. grommet

grommet Member

6. Drivin

Drivin Member

in NorCal people use the standard 1% greeting gesture.

• Like x 1
  7. ravana

ravana Member

Something like this, but yell Falcon instead.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I thought we decided on the folded over hand when this came up before?

9. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

I thought it was already decided:

• Funny x 7
  10. mercc3650

mercc3650 Member

@chipmunk--I saw that video before and I do the nod in my X to the Model S' when I pass by, but haven't seen an X yet.

I likely will do the nod and put my hands on my forehead sideways to indicate falcon wings...LOL

11. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

LOL. It sounds like you need to make a new video!!! Here's another option that could indicate panoramic windshield:

• Funny x 1
  12. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

As I wrote in another thread, last week I and a Sig Red Model X were sharing 90º positions at a traffic signal. I was not in my Model S, but one of my classic Land Cruisers. I opened my window and crossed both hands' fingers in an "X" configuration....and got nary a raised eyebrow of recognition.

I decided he thought I was trying to exorcise him....:(

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  13. 1208

1208 Active Member

As the X is supposed to be an SUV couldn't you bob up and down on the seat...

• Funny x 1
  14. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

15. jcobb

jcobb Member

In the Seattle area there is about a 75% rate of return when I am driving my Model S usually just a flash of the lights or a hand wave above the steering wheel. However driving the Model X I noticed S drivers don't wave. Perhaps they don't recognize it as a Model X or not sure but I was waving like crazy this weekend and not one returned the gesture. Very lonely.

16. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Here north of the Bay Area, my fingers grew giant Arnold Schwarzenegger sized muscles from waving at every Model S that drove past. Now when I'm driving the X, it only seems to work with other Model Xs. I'm sure by the end of the year that'll fade as well.

17. EternalChampion

In a nod to the electric theme, I believe the Shocker would be appropriate.

• Funny x 2
  18. DaDr00

DaDr00 Member

For the Model 3, I was thinking instead of the "peace sign", add a finger and just do three fingers!

• Like x 1