Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been speculation that the Model 3 will be launched in two versions: hatchback sedan and CUV style, like the S and the X versions.
At this point that is only speculation that the 3 will launch in two versions, though there is evidence that a Model 3 CUV will be offered at some point: maybe simultaneously with the 3 sedan, maybe a bit later. We don't know what name Tesla will attach to that version.

How cool would THAT be!!!!!

Look at the dates on those, that is from January.

However, in later comments, he said that the first iteration of the Model 3 will not be too adventurous in order to keep the car on time. He has openly said that they tried too much on the Model X (which is why it was so late) and that Tesla won't be making the same mistake again.
http://jalopnik.com/musk-hints-at-more-adventurous-versions-of-the-model-3-1685315047

Thanks for the jalopnik link. Here's hoping that Elon holds to the promise of a "more simple Model 3" and possibly more importantly, a single, conventional Model 3 at launch.

If Tesla shows a variety of options alongside the simple (base?) version in March, would some of the more unscrupulous websites focus on these less conventional features as a way to misrepresent and dismiss the 3 as "just a weirdmobile".

Really looking forward to seeing how Tesla launch this one :)

There has been speculation that the Model 3 will be launched in two versions: hatchback sedan and CUV style, like the S and the X versions.
At this point that is only speculation that the 3 will launch in two versions, though there is evidence that a Model 3 CUV will be offered at some point: maybe simultaneously with the 3 sedan, maybe a bit later. We don't know what name Tesla will attach to that version.

True, they didn't say the 3 and Y would be released at the same time, only "Tesla Gen III Sedan And Crossover" :
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451106146.980769.jpg

But "one of the two" is planned to have falcon wings... So that one should be expected later than the rear-driven, normal-doored, model.

I'd be extremely surprised if they launched two new models at the same time. I expect that they'll launch the Model 3 and get that ramped up and the bugs worked out before releasing the Model Y. Tesla needs to concentrate on making the Model 3 successful since it's going to be their bread and butter. Releasing the Model Y at the same time would risk biting off more than they can chew and put the success of the model 3 in jeopardy.

I'd be extremely surprised if they launched two new models at the same time. I expect that they'll launch the Model 3 and get that ramped up and the bugs worked out before releasing the Model Y. Tesla needs to concentrate on making the Model 3 successful since it's going to be their bread and butter. Releasing the Model Y at the same time would risk biting off more than they can chew and put the success of the model 3 in jeopardy.
A agree that they likely won't launch both at the same time, but I would not be surprised it they introduced both in March at the same time.

The question in my mind is whether the SUV version of the Model 3 will carry the Model 3 name, or if it will be the Model Y. They've gone on record that they're planning both a sedan and crossover version of the Model 3, but then Elon's also gone on record that either that Model 3 or the Model Y will likely have falcon wing doors. Does this mean that there will be a crossover version of the Model 3, and there will also be a Model Y (possibly based on that same platform) that will be an entirely different model from the Model 3 crossover?

They've gone on record that they're planning both a sedan and crossover version of the Model 3, but then Elon's also gone on record that either that Model 3 or the Model Y will likely have falcon wing doors.

No, that is not correct. J.B. had an error in one slide that said "Model 3 sedan and crossover". That slide has later been corrected to "Gen-III sedan and crossover" (or was it "sedan and cuv"?). The Gen-III sedan is on record to been named "Model 3". While we don't have anything recorded about "Gen-III crossover" but we know that there is a "Model Y" coming, and it will be of the Gen-III platform and have the falconwing doors. So it is relatively safe to guess that the Gen-III crossover/cuv will be named "Model Y".

Elon's also gone on record that either that Model 3 or the Model Y will likely have falcon wing doors.

And later added "I was of course talking about the Model Y"

Elon's also gone on record that either that Model 3 or the Model Y will likely have falcon wing doors.

Elon has said a lot of things. We're the ones who are picking certain statements "for the record". Much like we choose to see a family resemblance across the current Tesla line-up and expect the next cars to echo the S and the X, instead of maybe taking a left into a different design direction.

I hope Tesla presents something fairly conventional in March and that a 200 mile real-world range (there I go again - choosing "200 miles" as "on the record") will be achievable for a) the 35k price and b) without making it look unlike any other car on the road - which Elon has also said.

But I could be wrong. Maybe 200 mile real-world range and 35k are proving to be mutually exclusive unless you do something unexpected with aerodynamics. Maybe this is why the Roadster 3.0 upgrade has yet to be seen. If we saw the body modifications we'd all lose our minds.

Since JB used the phrase "all new technology" maybe getting Model 3 right is proving to be just as challenging as engineering Falcon wing doors.

“For better or worse, most of Model 3 has to be new. (On) X we were able to build on a lot of common components with S, but with Model 3 we can’t do that. So we are inventing a whole new platform for Model 3. It’s a new battery architecture, it’s a new motor technology. Brand new vehicle structure…so it is a lot of work.”

No wonder most people at Tesla are now working on the 3.

Elon has said a lot of things. We're the ones who are picking certain statements "for the record". Much like we choose to see a family resemblance across the current Tesla line-up and expect the next cars to echo the S and the X, instead of maybe taking a left into a different design direction.

I hope Tesla presents something fairly conventional in March and that a 200 mile real-world range (there I go again - choosing "200 miles" as "on the record") will be achievable for a) the 35k price and b) without making it look unlike any other car on the road - which Elon has also said.

But I could be wrong. Maybe 200 mile real-world range and 35k are proving to be mutually exclusive unless you do something unexpected with aerodynamics. Maybe this is why the Roadster 3.0 upgrade has yet to be seen. If we saw the body modifications we'd all lose our minds.

Since JB used the phrase "all new technology" maybe getting Model 3 right is proving to be just as challenging as engineering Falcon wing doors.

No wonder most people at Tesla are now working on the 3.
Is there any company that keeps secrets better than Tesla? Not one leak, come ooooooonnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

I am saying this here and now for future records to prove I am right.

Elon has a thing for the lotus from the spy who loved me (the best bond film BTW), the shape will be similar to it. People will go, "hey that looks a bit like the underwater car from that bond film..."
James-Bonds-Lotus-Esprit.jpg

You may be right on the Lotus ... it has the wheel covers :cool:

I am saying this here and now for future records to prove I am right.
Elon has a thing for the lotus from the spy who loved me (the best bond film BTW), the shape will be similar to it.
People will go, "hey that looks a bit like the underwater car from that bond film..."

I hope not.

Far far right, or far right?

I think what's often touted as a Model 3 mock-up is the narrower car still in frame. It's been speculated the right half of the car is the mock up for the SUV and the other side is the mock up for the sedan. The car that is partially out of frame looks like a Model S. It's wider than the car that might be the Model 3. The car with the people standing around it looks narrower than a Model S too.

I think what's often touted as a Model 3 mock-up is the narrower car still in frame. It's been speculated the right half of the car is the mock up for the SUV and the other side is the mock up for the sedan. The car that is partially out of frame looks like a Model S. It's wider than the car that might be the Model 3. The car with the people standing around it looks narrower than a Model S too.

The car with the people standing around it is the X mock-up.