Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a traditional hatchback shape would sell as well (even though I personally prefer that shape). I think Tesla will go for a sedan profile for the 3 and it'll definitely be bigger than the Fit (even the Bolt is bigger than the Fit, even though it doesn't look like it).

I don't think a traditional hatchback shape would sell as well (even though I personally prefer that shape).

In the states you are correct but I think for the rest of the world such as France, UK, Japan, China etc. hatchbacks are the most popular design. I guess because of the size of our roads. The USA is a young country so you have bigger roads and not these little winding corridors around medieval cities that older countries have.

In 2012 the biggest selling car in China was coincidentally the Ford Focus. Bearing in mind the 3 is for mass marketing to change the world it must appeal to as many people as possible.

In the states you are correct but I think for the rest of the world such as France, UK, Japan, China etc. hatchbacks are the most popular design. I guess because of the size of our roads. The USA is a young country so you have bigger roads and not these little winding corridors around medieval cities that older countries have.

In 2012 the biggest selling car in China was coincidentally the Ford Focus. Bearing in mind the 3 is for mass marketing to change the world it must appeal to as many people as possible.
I'm not sure if that applies to the ~$40k premium segment though (although it likely is true for the ~$20k economy segment). For example, the 3 series I believe still primarily sells as a sedan even in European and China markets.

And right now US sales still make up more than half of Tesla's sales. I suspect that will be true for some time until Tesla opens up the rumored factory in China.

This is a real leak unlike my others. This is not boy cried wolf! I repeat this is not boy cried wolf!

When I said to someone with connections to tesla "Model 3" they replied " the Ford Focus model..."

So its a hatchback then.

View attachment 108723

EDIT: In the UK the Focus only comes as a hatchback, the shape above.

I absolutely love the new Focus sedan look, would love it if it were that. The Focus hatchback... ugh.. The back-end just looks wrong to me, like it does with all hatchbacks (and in this context I mean Golf, A3 and the whatnots). I suppose it would end up what they do with the back and how much cargo space they make out of it. That's why I've been so excited when they first announced the size would be around 3-series which is for me in a nice sweetspot regarding space (cargo and passengers) while not being too big.

Also I agree with stopcrazypp that in the premium segment it's not the most popular design. Don't have any sources to back it up, however.

Last edited:
Ya, I was trying to get a sense of what it would look like if you took out the frunk. To save other's time - you can see it doesn't look that great. Though, I suppose I could have just looked at Lambos or ferarris to figure out that just because you don't have an engine in the front doesn't mean you shrink the front.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's weird.

Could be like a BMW X1.

no-thank-you.jpg

I saw this in front of my the other day in Yorba Linda, CA.
View attachment 104430

I have seen many of these. Some prototype / test car wrapped up so you can't see the design and details. It had a manufacturer plate. Looking closer I noticed the lack of a tail pipe. I got the chance to drive a little closer and next to it. It looked very much like a Prius or Volt. Dated design. I doubt it's the Model 3. But good to see more EVs are coming.

Ioniq Hybrid ...

160114_IONIQ20Hybrid20Breaking20Hybrid20Stereotypes2028229.jpg

The Model S is a liftback.
thats a pretty small hair to split as for most folks and dictionary sites liftback=hatchback
Liftback | Define Liftback at Dictionary.com
Wikipedia "Liftback, a broad definition for a hatchback"

The fact that Tesla refers to the Model S as a sedan when it very obviously has a humongous great hatch in the back instead of a trunk lid just complicates things.
Still more folks keep referring to Elon's tweet that the Model 3 will be a sedan - but is it a sedan in the same way a Model S is a sedan and it opens the whole can of worms again. :)
I reckon that regardless of lift/hatch or whatever - its likely to have great big opening at the back like the S and Tesla will still call it a sedan just to be consistent.

Last edited:
This is a real leak unlike my others. This is not boy cried wolf! I repeat this is not boy cried wolf!

When I said to someone with connections to tesla "Model 3" they replied " the Ford Focus model..."

So its a hatchback then.

EDIT: In the UK the Focus only comes as a hatchback, the shape above.

In the US the Focus comes as both a hatchback and sedan, though I think the hatchback is more popular.

The BMW 3 Series, the Subaru Impreza/Legacy, and the Ford Focus are all just about identical in dimensions of the platform (wheelbase, width, etc.) They are all in the Compact Sedan and or Compact SUV/CUV category. With all the comments that the Model 3 will be about the size of the BMW 3 Series I'm not surprised by this at all.

My SO has an Impreza and she is interested in the Model 3 if it's about the same size as her current car. So far she's happy with the Model 3 rumors. Though her business has been struggling the last couple of years and it will probably be a while until she can afford to replace her Impreza.

As for the hatchback vs liftback debate. The term has mostly gone out of style, but the Model S is more of a fastback than anything else. Wikipedia includes the Model S in the list of fastback cars.

Last edited:
I hope that Tesla stays consistent with their definition of a "sedan" as being some sort of fastback/liftback design. Currently, I can haul darn near anything in my Prius. Since the Model 3 would be my only car, I wouldn't want to give that capability up. Anyway, I suspect that aerodynamic considerations will probably exclude having a trunk.

If the Model 3 is truly a sedan instead of a hatchback/liftback then I would seriously have to consider not buying it which would be an enormous disappointment.
The added utility (i.e. added space) that the Model S has is a significant advantage and it still looks good. I've had both sedans and hatchbacks and will never buy a true sedan again.
Why would you when we know Tesla can design a great looking car (the S) that has extra space to carry cargo.