Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chances of Model 3 being a sedan (like Camry) instead of a Hatch (like S) is nearly zero. May be after a few years they'll make a pure sedan version - but not the first version.

What would be the benefit or customer attraction of a sedan with a trunk instead of a liftback? I'm happy with the design of my Model S but would really want to put my deposit down on the wagon/CUV variant of the M3. Going from a Volt to a sedan/liftback version of the Model 3 would be cool, but I do miss the functionality of my sportwagon SAAB 9-2x.

The peugeot 508 sw is a true hatchback, a bit longer than a BMW 3-series (20cm/8inches), and good looking when you see it on the road. Not too much bits and blops everywhere, it's not as pure as a Tesla thought. It probably misses some aggressiveness on the back to fit the Tesla style.

2014_Peugeot_508_SW_GT_2.2_HDi_200_Facelift_Vorderansicht_Perlmutt-Weiss.jpg

2014_Peugeot_508_SW_GT_2.2_HDi_200_Facelift_Heckansicht_Perlmutt-Weiss.jpg

What would be the benefit or customer attraction of a sedan with a trunk instead of a liftback? I'm happy with the design of my Model S but would really want to put my deposit down on the wagon/CUV variant of the M3. Going from a Volt to a sedan/liftback version of the Model 3 would be cool, but I do miss the functionality of my sportwagon SAAB 9-2x.

Your wish for a SAAB EV has been granted ... :cool:

http://electrek.co/2016/01/15/saab-nevs-1-billion-deal-20000-electric-cars-volinco-china/

saab_9-3_aero_my14_02-e1450402472491.jpg

If the Model 3 is truly a sedan instead of a hatchback/liftback then I would seriously have to consider not buying it which would be an enormous disappointment.
The added utility (i.e. added space) that the Model S has is a significant advantage and it still looks good. I've had both sedans and hatchbacks and will never buy a true sedan again.
Why would you when we know Tesla can design a great looking car (the S) that has extra space to carry cargo.

Can't make everyone happy. I'm on the other end. If the Model 3 is a liftback, I'm in. If it's a sedan, I'm probably in. If it's a hatchback, I'm likely out.

I don't like the square back end of most hatchbacks.

View attachment 108820View attachment 108821View attachment 108822
This would be a true sedan look and not the liftback/fastback/hatchback that is being referred to.

I'd set up a revolving account for Tesla to take my money whenever they'd like if this is what the Model 3 looked like. I'd definitely get this one in black!

- - - Updated - - -

Can't make everyone happy. I'm on the other end. If the Model 3 is a liftback, I'm in. If it's a sedan, I'm probably in. If it's a hatchback, I'm likely out.

I'm in the same boat as you. Looks definitely come first for me.

Chances of Model 3 being a sedan (like Camry) instead of a Hatch (like S) is nearly zero. May be after a few years they'll make a pure sedan version - but not the first version.

I agree. Sales of small cars favor hatchback by a large margin.

The single large Falcon door on each side will be its most distinctive feature. Tesla will sell it "as good as a four door".

The Model Y doesn't need Falcon doors. It just needs to be roomie like the Bolt (with an f'ing folding second seat).

The Model Y could also need a larger battery to get 200 miles EPA range. The model 3 might be 50kwh standard, with 60 kwh optional. The Model Y might be 60 kwh standard.

I think the model 3 and model Y are developed concurrently to ensure they truly share the same chassis.

With all this talk about doors, people are forgetting the fact that there is a real possibility that it will be 3 doors.

In that respect the falcon wing doors would benefit entrance.

Unless Tesla create a new type of door.

With all this talk about doors, people are forgetting the fact that there is a real possibility that it will be 3 doors.

In that respect the falcon wing doors would benefit entrance.

Unless Tesla create a new type of door.
Elon has said he learned his lesson in terms of being too adventurous with the X and that he would not make the same mistake with the 3 (at least for the initial version). Making falcon doors will be walking back on that and will seriously affect the affordability and timeliness of the vehicle.

I also think a 3-door car will seriously limit sales. It will immediately be a deal breaker for me personally.

Elon has said he learned his lesson in terms of being too adventurous with the X and that he would not make the same mistake with the 3 (at least for the initial version). Making falcon doors will be walking back on that and will seriously affect the affordability and timeliness of the vehicle.

I also think a 3-door car will seriously limit sales. It will immediately be a deal breaker for me personally.

I have also said it a few times here that 3-door would be a deal breaker for us also. Let me spin this around - you who have talked about Model 3 being coupe (2 seater or 2+2, no back doors) is it something that you really believe that the Model 3 will be? Or something you would like it to be?

Of course, my own needs and preferences distort my opinions, but I honestly believe that for Model 3 to be really a mass market car, it needs dedicated doors to back seats. I also view that a big single falcon wing door, as some have suggested, doesn't really cut it and would also be too expensive.

For aerodynamics the Model 3 can't have a square back if they want the cd<0.24. It may have some kind of lift back, but it will be much more rounded than a typical hatchback.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also said it a few times here that 3-door would be a deal breaker for us also. Let me spin this around - you who have talked about Model 3 being coupe (2 seater or 2+2, no back doors) is it something that you really believe that the Model 3 will be? Or something you would like it to be?

Of course, my own needs and preferences distort my opinions, but I honestly believe that for Model 3 to be really a mass market car, it needs dedicated doors to back seats. I also view that a big single falcon wing door, as some have suggested, doesn't really cut it and would also be too expensive.

Elon Musk has said the Model 3 will be a sedan, which is generally defined at a 4 door car.