Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant the car from demolition man.

I like your sketch, but tesla figured out Falcon wing doors on the Model X, I have a hard time believing they will be omitted on the Model 3.

Elon said they were hard and probably shouldn't have been done. But that R&D has been taken care of now. And you have door handles, I'm not expecting those.

Falcon wing doors will 100% not be on the Model 3. The model 3 needs to be CHEAP, and there is a reason the Model X has the price tag it does. Falcon wing doors are included in why the Model X has the price it does. Costly to make, implement, and slows production down.

Expect door handles of some sort as well, as that is another area that can cut some costs and simplify the car build.

Remember, Tesla needs to make a car at 35k, that also has to be profitable as well...

I think that this first photo gets too much attention in all the wrong places... So I marked my area of interest (yea, it's probably just a Model X also, haha).

What I don't get is why no one pays attention to the car on the far left in the back.

Tesla 60 Mins.jpg

According to Elon it will not happen on the Model 3, but on the Model Y (Gen-III CUV).

Falcon wing doors will 100% not be on the Model 3. The model 3 needs to be CHEAP, and there is a reason the Model X has the price tag it does. Falcon wing doors are included in why the Model X has the price it does. Costly to make, implement, and slows production down.

Expect door handles of some sort as well, as that is another area that can cut some costs and simplify the car build.

Remember, Tesla needs to make a car at 35k, that also has to be profitable as well...

Just curious as to when he stated this? Because I remember him stating that one of the two models will. Not that the model three won't. Only other mention was the last quarter financial call when he said less complex then Model S but that could mean anything, and by the fact he said up to 50% leads me to believe he was referring to steal construction.

Just curious as to when he stated this? Because I remember him stating that one of the two models will. Not that the model three won't. Only other mention was the last quarter financial call when he said less complex then Model S but that could mean anything, and by the fact he said up to 50% leads me to believe he was referring to steal construction.
Falcon wing doors don't even make sense for a car. Only an SUV which is taller would benefit from them. With them fully open, you'd still have to duck to get in. On the X, they're good because you can stand inside.

Falcon wing doors don't even make sense for a car. Only an SUV which is taller would benefit from them. With them fully open, you'd still have to duck to get in. On the X, they're good because you can stand inside.

The Falcon Wing Doors' actual range of motion is really what determines how realistic they are for a car. That being said, I agree with you 98%... it's that 2% you've gotta look out for though, haha.

I would not be surprised if the Model 3 has door handles like the Model X. The Model X door handles have the advantage of being no drag and fewer moving parts. The more expensive Model 3's may have the present feature, but the base model might just have the hot spot door handles the X has with no present.

You are correct on that Tweet where he say that one of them would have the Falcon Wing doors. And in an interview a few days later he said that it was "obviously the Model Y" he was referring to. Sorry, did not find that interview now.

Edit: Found it - Elon Musk and Y Combinator President on Thinking for the Future - FULL CONVERSATION - YouTube

Last edited:

True. The question is do they make sense for an SUV with only two rows of seats? The main selling point was easy access to the third row, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that the Model Y might have 3 rows as well. It wouldn't be totally unprecedented, even on a smaller SUV.

True. The question is do they make sense for an SUV with only two rows of seats? The main selling point was easy access to the third row, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that the Model Y might have 3 rows as well. It wouldn't be totally unprecedented, even on a smaller SUV.
That or the falcon wing doors will be the only two doors to access the front and back seats, and it will be RAV4 sized.

Tesla’s Model 3, which the company will unveil on March 31, features the “next generation” of its existing technology, Straubel said. With a starting price of about $35,000, the car moves the company into mass market appeal.
Straubel didn’t give many details about the vehicle ahead of the unveiling but said it is comparable in size to an Audi A4. “I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes,” he said.
Production is scheduled to begin in late 2017.

“Basically every single part of that electric vehicle ecosystem is dropping substantially, he said.

Tesla focusing on cutting price of cars, executive says in Houston - Fuel Fix

Anyone have a link to the presentation?

I don't think this is news to many in here.

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2016/02/25/...ting-price-of-cars-executive-says-in-houston/
JB Struabel said:
Straubel didn’t give many details about the vehicle ahead of the unveiling but said it is comparable in size to an Audi A4. “I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes,” he said.

We already know it was supposed to compete with the BMW 3 series and that it would be 20% smaller than a Model S. This eliminates in my mind any possibility that we may be dealing with a Bolt-like car. I was also worried about the car being completely bare-bones at the $35k price point. So I'd anxious to see what features he's talking about.

That or the falcon wing doors will be the only two doors to access the front and back seats, and it will be RAV4 sized.

Possibly, but that seems like a bit of an unnecessary solution to me. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see the point of only putting in one set of doors, even if they are falcon wing. I also would expect it to be a bit bigger than the RAV 4. It should probably be around the size of a Mercedes GLC if we're being honest.

I don't think this is news to many in here.

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2016/02/25/...ting-price-of-cars-executive-says-in-houston/

We already know it was supposed to compete with the BMW 3 series and that it would be 20% smaller than a Model S. This eliminates in my mind any possibility that we may be dealing with a Bolt-like car. I was also worried about the car being completely bare-bones at the $35k price point. So I'd anxious to see what features he's talking about.

A steering wheel, 4 tires, 4 doors, and a battery. Tons of features ;)