Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak sound system mid-bass and bass levels after opening and closing door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Blurry_Eyed

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
Dec 29, 2011
I wanted to see if anyone else out there is experiencing what I think I'm experiencing. I have the original Studio Sound system and I've also done a few after market upgrades with the Audio system in my car.

What I notice is that on occasion the bass and mid-bass of the system seem to really diminish. I check my EQ settings and other variables, and they are all set properly. I haven't taken Sound Pressure Level measurements on it yet at specific frequencies, but I'm fairly certain my perception of what's happening to the frequency response in my system is accurate.

When I notice the diminished bass and mid-bass, I do a touchscreen and instrument cluster screen reboot and it seems to restore the full frequency response in my system. I'm trying to track down what might be going on. I had the same perception before I did any aftermarket upgrades to the sound system as well.

My theory is that there is some kind of bug in the audio level adjustment code. When the door opens, it's supposed to automatically lower the volume of the audio, then when you close it, it's supposed to restore the sound level to your previous door closed level. Perhaps it's not restoring the whole frequency spectrum of the system evenly and the bass and mid-bass of the system remains diminished while the higher frequencies are restored to full level after the door closes. There are definitely occasions where I open the door and the volume doesn't lower, so the behavior is already inconsistent. I thought it might have something to do with the initial volume level the system was at, but I have noticed that it can happen irrespective of the volume level the system is set at and it happens on a random basis.

One things I'm now trying out is pausing (or muting) the audio with the left steering wheel scroll button before opening the door. I have only just started doing this so I don't have enough data to say if this actually makes any difference, but I'll see what I notice over the next couple of days.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if any other people have noticed similar things with their audio system. I'm going to send Tesla a note about this as well, but I wanted to gather more evidence if possible before sending them a note.

Last edited:
This is interesting. I've basically been a lurker with regards to audio aftermarket upgrades, so I don't much value to add here. So I'll be curious as to what you find out. I will say though that I can't stand that 'audio dim feature' whenever you open the door and I wish that could be disabled.

Where did you tap in to get your audio lines from for your EQ and amp? Did you just tap one line to one speaker or did you tap all of them?