TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Web Browser

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitecotton, Jan 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

What is the norm as far as reliability and speed on the web browser? I have 3G and have considered the upgrade, but slacker works great on the 3G leaving only the web browser to improve. I have found the web browser to be awesome for games and time killing while waiting in parking lots.

2. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

In general, I think you will find that the web browser really sucks whether you have 3G or LTE. It is almost unusable IMO.

• Like x 1
  3. cottylowry

cottylowry 2013 Model S

I upgraded to lte or 4G or whatever the upgrade is about 2 months ago. A lot of the time I have more bars, but I'm not really certain the upgraded increased browser speed/loads. I"m not sure it's worth the $500.00

4. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

I have 4G/LTE and the browser just sucks. Never owned a 3G, but knew this was the case going into it, so, meh. If you're happy with slacker and map tiles, then don't bother.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Web browser is pretty much neutered. Only useable for basic sites/info/news, etc, as well as some tesla specific sites people have created. Playing games? Prob not a chance.

6. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

The games I play are simple connect 4 and chess games, which the car handles quite well. I wouldn't dare try anything to advanced :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to stick to 3G until I win the lottery!

• Like x 1
  7. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

Picked up my car on 9/20; so limited experience.
    However, came across this post because I'm trying to determine if my car has issues. At this point, I concur that the browser is one of the worst experiences...ever. Speed difference in comparison to iPhone (both on LTE) is ridiculous. This causes slacker and InTune to be crappy too. I listen to PodCast and that experience, due to the connectivity, is extremely frustrating.

Likewise, the car's ability to get a decent WiFi signal at home is crazy bad too.

Over the next few days, I will be using dslreports site to capture some data for review.

Additionally, I'm going to contact Tesla Support for assistance...

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Your car doesn't have issues. It's just the web browser that is bad across the fleet.

Just don't use it, and you'll be much happier. Use your phone instead.

There's a reason the browser was excluded from the Model 3.

9. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

The browser is practically unusable, you can "manage" to do some minor things, but its more a gimmick than anything else

• Like x 1
  10. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

Interesting findings which point to the issue being browser, not LTE

Screen shots of iPhone and Tesla.

Attached Files:

11. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

More interesting is the WiFi data transfer rate compared to iPhone 114 Mb/s vs anywhere from 1 to 11 Mb/s

Yet the browser is still slow with sites

Attached Files:

• WiFi.png
      WiFi.png
      File size:
      117.9 KB
      Views:
  12. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

another interesting observation. Car locked in garage, locked, maintains a good signal. Currently sitting at 5 Mb/s

However, jump in car and the data rate immediately drops to 1 Mb/s or worse, drops WiFi connection.

Attached Files:

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah nothing really new here, it's been a problem since 2012 and hasn't changed since.

I'm curious though - how are you testing the bandwidth if the car is locked and off, assuming it isn't downloading a firmware update?

14. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

Apple Airport utility allows you to look at each connection. I then use Evernote's screen capture tool to grab a shot of the data.

This morning, I checked the connection and was surprised to see 24 Mb/sec.

Note: sorry if this information is all "Old News". As a new owner, I have been trying to balance my research (searching and reading) with creation of new threads.

Attached Files:

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

No need to apologize, what I was really trying to say is that your car is fine.. well, nothing out of the ordinary to call Tesla about, other than to complain about it. They probably can't "fix" it.

Also, that 24mbps is just the current negotiated wi-fi data transfer rate.. it's not the true bandwidth one would experience inside the car when actually downloading data. Start up a nearby microwave oven and watch it drop to 1mbps. ;)

To get a realistic wi-fi throughput data date, watch the actual download speed when the car needs to download a firmware update.