Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weight-saving benefits of micro-fuses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, why did Tesla choose to use micro-fuses on a full size 2 1/2 ton car?

Cost: Virtually the same as mini-fuses.

Size:
It's a big car with lots of room, but with some tight spaces. So maybe.

Weight:
By my *SWAG, the weight-saving benefits over mini-fuses could add nearly 27 feet of range over the life of the car. This must be why.:confused:o_O;)

*SWAG: Scientific Wild-Ass Guess

I think it was a joke. The negligible savings in the weight of the fuses themselves would, according to his calculations, add an additional 27 feet in range over the lifetime of the car. Sort of like saying leaving a gym bag permanently in the frunk would decrease lifetime range by a certain number of feet.

Yes, a joke.

People do ridiculous things to save weight on expensive aftermarket stuff. In almost all cases, the marginal benefits in performance or economy don't justify the expense.

I'm sure that Tesla had good reasons for selecting micro-fuses. I doubt weight was a factor.

Micro fuses were originally designed for the U.S. Space Program. Micro fuses are made with either glass, plastic or metal bodies. They are designed to be electrically equivalent to minature glass cartridge fuses in a smaller package with higher tolerance to impact and vibration.

It's all about SPACE!

A (large unit of weight) is the accretion of many (small units of weight). That's one of the keys in aerospace design. Within reason, applies to vehicles too.

Serious cyclists believe that ounces matter. A bike's value is often dictated by its weight, thus the $10k and up bikes with carbon fiber frames and everything else. Some even go for as much as Model S.