Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on a month long vacation to find my car’s interior with mold on it (seats, yoke, door panels) when I returned. Also, the floor board on the driver’s side is soaking wet. The mold wiped right off, I had the car detailed and made an appointment with Tesla service. Their fix is the “front radar replacement due to water intrusion.” We’ll see if it fixes it. I love the car but the build quality is laughable. Here’s a pic of the mold.
What on earth… that’s terrible, sorry. How could the radar possibly lead to water intrusion in the cabin? I’m not sure where it’s located in 2021+ but that explanation is strange. The wet floor board was probably source of moisture that led to mold.

Reactions: aerodyne and VikH
I went on a month long vacation to find my car’s interior with mold on it (seats, yoke, door panels) when I returned. Also, the floor board on the driver’s side is soaking wet. The mold wiped right off, I had the car detailed and made an appointment with Tesla service. Their fix is the “front radar replacement due to water intrusion.” We’ll see if it fixes it. I love the car but the build quality is laughable. Here’s a pic of the mold.
Holy mother of…

Reactions: aerodyne
The weird thing is that this happened while the car was just sitting. Not like I drove through water or the garage got flooded. Yes summers are humid in Miami but this was never an issue with my other cars that were parked next to the Tesla. We’ll see what the service center says.

I have a 2021 Refresh S that also started making this same noise after a recent update.

The SC here says "We changed the frequency of part of the high voltage system, and an unwanted side effct is this whining noise. It does not indicate a malfunction and the noise does not affect wear, longevity, or reliability of your Model S. The team is working on reverting this frequency change, you can expect a fix in a future firmware update."
of course they will say that. do you have it in writing in your service note? if you can share it here.

Reactions: ryan1220
I view Tesla less favorably in recent years than in years past. Definitely feels like they will be viewed as a “flash in the pan,” once competition gets online. Probably my last Tesla purchase.
We have 3 in the family, this is the first real issue and hopefully the last one (knock on wood).

it sucks and Tesla Service makes it even harder with their incompetence, a simple temp fix is if their Manager stepped up and got Tesla to approve rollback this firmware to 2024.20.x (it is doable and any one gets FSD will be rolled back) but BS answer to wait is what makes it worse.

Also from my experience with other OEMs, even the annoying ones from Germany, the service department usually add a reference to the service bulletin they are basing their assumption on so the customer know that the OEM is REALLY looking into it.

That’s unhealthy. You need to have them decontaminate the entire enterior and duct system as the mold spores are EVEREYWHERE!

I always take it with a grain of salt when I got a reply from Tesla. Some of them have no clue and just "wing" it. When I have this buzzing sound before and took it to SC, the result is:

"Diagnosed and Thermal System Test. Performed Thermal test, Passed. nothing abnormal found. Was unable do duplicate noise described by the customer. Suspect that it is the chiller running to keep the HV battery cool which is normal operation of the car".

But the sound on mine only happens if it has been sitting in the garage and cooled!

Tesla has serious issues and will alienate a lot of future buyers. They should not be releasing updates without substantial testing.

The weird thing is that this happened while the car was just sitting. Not like I drove through water or the garage got flooded. Yes summers are humid in Miami but this was never an issue with my other cars that were parked next to the Tesla. We’ll see what the service center says.
There's got to be more to this story. Mold on the seats and yoke make me think temperature and humidity changes caused condensation to hang around and fester. Maybe there's moisture in the floor boards that evaporated but stayed in the airtight cabin to condense. Hmm, did the radar sensor drain water from front of car to the floor boards. It's a mystery ....

Reactions: jebinc and navguy12
It seems more likely that a wet floor board has the same root cause as every other pre-2021+ car… an HVAC drain that’s loose. The Refresh runs an evaporator or something when car if parked and “off”. And then the wet floor caused mold to grow over extended timeframe sitting with high humidity.

The radar water intrusion may be unrelated, but I guess we will see.

It seems more likely that a wet floor board has the same root cause as every other pre-2021+ car… an HVAC drain that’s loose. The Refresh runs an evaporator or something when car if parked and “off”. And then the wet floor caused mold to grow over extended timeframe sitting with high humidity.

The radar water intrusion may be unrelated, but I guess we will see.
I'm inclined to believe HVAC drain is more likely. But it's all speculation. Ever since Kamala used the phrase "root cause" I've come to 👎 that phrase.

I have a 2021 Refresh S that also started making this same noise after a recent update.

The SC here says "We changed the frequency of part of the high voltage system, and an unwanted side effct is this whining noise. It does not indicate a malfunction and the noise does not affect wear, longevity, or reliability of your Model S. The team is working on reverting this frequency change, you can expect a fix in a future firmware update."

What a likely response from this company, total tech bro bs. There is no way this is now always on part or whatever is healthy for the car. Not to mention the annoying sound it makes. Can't even be in my own garage without it buzzing in my head.

• Funny
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Hahahaha. Honestly, the SC are full of CRAP! We changed a... frequency of part of the high voltage system? Seriously? That's a joke of a report, truly.

They may as well have said, "Yeah, we made a thing go BUZZZZZ! At some point, maybe, it won't go BUZZZZZ! anymore."

And the SC truth of course is, "Yeah, it's buzzing. We don't know why. We can't fix it. We'll just tell you it will be fixed in a future firmware update, because that's our go-to response when we have no f'ing clue what's wrong."

Exactly. 100%

Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Interesting. I just got a call from Tesla service center asking various questions about the issue. Appeared this was the first service ticket they’ve seen for this. I mentioned the TMC reports of this happening to many refresh S/X after software update. He didn’t seem impressed. Asked me to take a video of the noise and send it to him , which I’ve done. Will update if he responds.