Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird charge port issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I am having this issue with the charge port. The little notch inside that holds the charger keeps moving and clicking on its own when I open the charge port. I made a short video of the issue. I put in service request. I will see what Tesla Service Center does.

The lock doesn't hold the charger (the charger is in the car), it holds the charge cable. But have you tried cycling the release cable on the inside of the trunk, something may have gotten stuck.

Thanks for the reply. I meant the charge cable, sorry.

I did try pulling the manual release that is inside the trunk. Not sure if that is what you are referring to. But nothing happened. That was one of the things that Tesla told me to do on Friday when I could not unplug the charging cable from the supercharger.

When you pulled the release cable did it feel like it was pulling anything? If you were to keep the cable pulled and have someone look at the lock, is it staying unlocked? And then does releasing the cable put the lock in the locked position? But I would bet the sensor is stuck and probably needs replacing because from your video it looks like the notch (lock), is stuck in the locked position and it's cycling trying to unlock it. Unless something is wedged in there holding it locked.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
When you pulled the release cable did it feel like it was pulling anything? If you were to keep the cable pulled and have someone look at the lock, is it staying unlocked? And then does releasing the cable put the lock in the locked position? But I would bet the sensor is stuck and probably needs replacing because from your video it looks like the notch (lock), is stuck in the locked position and it's cycling trying to unlock it. Unless something is wedged in there holding it locked.

The manual release cable in the trunk feels completely loose. It does not feel like it is pulling anything.

I should add for context that I just got my car back from a 3 month body shop repair. They did a great job with the body repair. But it is entirely possible that they missed something with the charge port. I am also getting an alert that park assist and NOA are disabled due to ultrasonic sensors not connecting. I put in a service request to Tesla. I am hoping Tesla can send a mobile service truck to fix this. I am concerned that the problem with the charge port will prevent me from charging since I had issues with it at the supercharger. So I really need Tesla to fix it ASAP.

Don't you just love how lazy body shop repairs can be? I've had the same experience with a body shop that forgot to plug in electrical connectors. If they had to remove the charge port, I'd bet they forgot something when reinstalling it. I'm thinking it's the body shop you need to contact first.

Have you been able to charge the car at home?

My accident caused the charge port to get smashed in. So yeah, they had to reinstall the charge port.
Then you definitely have to talk to the body shop or Tesla might charge you to fix it. Unless the body shop will pay then directly. I went through this with my repair because I didn't want my body shop to touch my car again because of all their screw ups. So they paid Tesla to fix them.

But again pulling the manual release cable should pull the lock in making it unlocked. Does it do that?

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
But can you see the notch move in when you pull the cable? But it sounds like the body shop screwed something up reinstalling it.

Also apparently you won't be able to see much behind the trunk liner, so don't bother doing that.

Hope it all gets fixed, report back afterwards on what happened.

I should add for context that I just got my car back from a 3 month body shop repair. They did a great job with the body repair. But it is entirely possible that they missed something with the charge port. I am also getting an alert that park assist and NOA are disabled due to ultrasonic sensors not connecting. I put in a service request to Tesla. I am hoping Tesla can send a mobile service truck to fix this. I am concerned that the problem with the charge port will prevent me from charging since I had issues with it at the supercharger. So I really need Tesla to fix it ASAP.
Actually you need to take it right back to the body shop and request that they fix it, because obviously they didn't complete their work properly.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Actually you need to take it right back to the body shop and request that they fix it, because obviously they didn't complete their work properly.

At this point, I don't have enough charge to get to the body shop and the problem is preventing me from charging. So I need to fix the problem before I can take my car back to the body shop. So I either need to fix the issue myself (if possible) or have Tesla mobile service come and fix it.

That does not work for me. The body shop is 80 miles from me. That would cost a bunch to tow the car that far. If I can't fix it myself, I think the easiest is to see if Tesla can send mobile service to fix it.
It shouldn't cost you anything, the body shop/insurance should pay for it as part of the repair that they have yet to complete.

If Tesla repairs it they should bill you for it, since it would be part of a collision repair and wouldn't be a warranty claim.

Reactions: garth_angst