Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird charge port issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG Tesla is going to charge you to fix the Charge port issue that your body shop screwed up? And the ultrasonic sensors? Do not pay this! Tesla is overcharging you! And you can reattach the aeroshield cover yourself.
Tesla is correct to charge for those items, as they are not warranty issues. That should have been taken care of properly by the non-Tesla body shop and paid for by the insurance company. He should take the invoice from Tesla and give it to the body shop to reimburse him. (I don't know if they would need to cover it themselves, as warranty for their bad workmanship, or if they could bill the insurance company for it.)

That should have been taken care of properly by the non-Tesla body shop and paid for by the insurance company.

FYI, I did go to a Tesla certified body shop. And my insurance did cover the entire cost of the repair minus my deductible.

I did call the body shop and they offered to look at it but then I got a call from Tesla. Personally, I prefer to take my car to Tesla and have them fix it properly than going back to the body shop. Tesla told me that they have the necessary parts and can fix everything in a few hours. The body shop may not have the parts so I am taking a chance that I could be stuck again with a rental car for x weeks until the parts come in. And Tesla can do the extra things like the firmware update that the body shop cannot do. I appreciate the body shop for fixing the extensive structural and body damage but I like the service center in Indy. They have done great work for me in the past.

FYI, I did go to a Tesla certified body shop. And my insurance did cover the entire cost of the repair minus my deductible.

I did call the body shop and they offered to look at it but then I got a call from Tesla. Personally, I prefer to take my car to Tesla and have them fix it properly than going back to the body shop. Tesla told me that they have the necessary parts and can fix everything in a few hours. The body shop may not have the parts so I am taking a chance that I could be stuck again with a rental car for x weeks until the parts come in. And Tesla can do the extra things like the firmware update that the body shop cannot do. I appreciate the body shop for fixing the extensive structural and body damage but I like the service center in Indy. They have done great work for me in the past.
I get it but the body shop was paid to get those issue right and they failed. So they were paid not doing something. Hopefully the body shop will reimburse you for what you had to pay Tesla. If not then I'd file a complaint, because their inability to fix it correctly has cost you time and money.

I get it but the body shop was paid to get those issue right and they failed. So they were paid not doing something. Hopefully the body shop will reimburse you for what you had to pay Tesla. If not then I'd file a complaint, because their inability to fix it correctly has cost you time and money.

The ultrasonic sensors is probably the only issue that I can directly tie back to the body shop repair, especially since I got the alert as soon as I started driving away from the body shop. The charging port issue may not be related to the body shop work since I was able to plug in after I got the car, the issue only showed up later. The front aeroshield cover issue is definitely not related to the body shop work since it was fine after the repair. The fact is that the body shop did a great job with the body of the car which is what they needed to do. At this point, I just need the issues fixed as soon as possible. Tesla can do that. The body shop will order parts and make me wait like another month. The initial repairs took over 3 months. I am not going back to the body shop and I have to wait another month or something when Tesla can fix it in a few hours.

The charging port issue may not be related to the body shop work since I was able to plug in after I got the car, the issue only showed up later.
Wouldn’t this be covered by warranty anyway? Either the body shop warranty or Tesla’s (for replacement parts, not original vehicle warranty, since this was replaced (the exact warranty that applied is debated for HV batteries elsewhere but this is different anyway, since it was not Tesla who did the replacement)). I certainly understand if Tesla would not want to cover it, but there has to be a warranty on the part somewhere here?

I mean, it is a brand new charge port…

I feel like you should at least get documentation from Tesla on what was wrong so you can “subrogate” it.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
By the way, for context, here is a before and after picture. The body shop did do a great job with the body of the car.

BEFORE

vL1Ve2m.jpg

AFTER

cO7wyO3.jpg

Didn't it show up the first time you tried to unplug?
I get going the Teska fix route, but they did work on the charge port and you can (could?) plug into a locked Tesla.

Yes, the problem started when I tried to unplug.

And that's not the problem I am having with the charge port. The car is unlocked just fine. The issue is that the small latch in the charge port stayed up preventing me from unplugging. Then after trying the manual release, the latch pops up an down on its own when I open the charge port. When I pull back the liner in the trunk and look at the back of the charge port from inside the trunk, I can see the little lever that moves the latch up and down. The little lever is moving up and down continuously.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, the problem started when I tried to unplug.

And that's not the problem I am having with the charge port. The car is unlocked just fine. The issue is that the small latch in the charge port stayed up preventing me from unplugging. Then after trying the manual release, the latch pops up an down on its own when I open the charge port. When I pull back the liner in the trunk and look at the back of the charge port from inside the trunk, I can see the little lever that moves the latch up and down. The little lever is moving up and down continuously.
Yah, what I'n suggesting is they gave you a car with charge port that could not release the cable. Inserting went fine, because even an unpowered port/ locked car allows that. The problem was it did not release, which resulted in you needing to apply non-typical force/ yank , which may have caused additional damage. So now there is a new symptom, but it may not be the original cause.

Yah, what I'n suggesting is they gave you a car with charge port that could not release the cable. Inserting went fine, because even an unpowered port/ locked car allows that. The problem was it did not release, which resulted in you needing to apply non-typical force/ yank , which may have caused additional damage. So now there is a new symptom, but it may not be the original cause.

Thanks.

And yes, I could go back to the body shop and tell them the charge port does not work and demand they fix it under warranty and hope they can fix it which may take who knows how long. I choose to simply go to Tesla Service Center on Tuesday. I know they can fix it quickly and it won't be cost that much and they will fix the other problems too. That is the option I prefer.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks.

And yes, I could go back to the body shop and tell them the charge port does not work and demand they fix it under warranty and hope they can fix it which may take who knows how long. I choose to simply go to Tesla Service Center on Tuesday. I know they can fix it quickly and it won't be cost that much and they will fix the other problems too. That is the option I prefer.
For sure, and I said I understand that approach. I'd do the same if I couldn't get the parts myself. I was only trying to illustrate that, though the problem showed up later, it was quite possibly there from the body shop. Especially if service center notices something amiss.

UPDATE: The Tesla Service Center in Indianapolis fixed all my issues perfectly. They fixed the aeroshield cover that was missing bolts and dragging on the road, they fixed the charge port, they fixed the utrasonic sensors , they restored NOA and Auto Park. They also noticed some squeaking sounds from the control and they fixed that too. Total cost was about $900. Total repair time was about 5 hours. Overall, the experience was exceptional. I dropped the car off, walked over to the nearby mall, got lunch, walked over to the nearby AMC theater and watched Thor: Love and Thunder. Then walked back to the service center, paid my bill and drove off. An the service center charged my car for me so I had enough to drive home without needing to stop at a supercharger. Just a great experience. They did great work in a timely manner and were super friendly.

UPDATE: The Tesla Service Center in Indianapolis fixed all my issues perfectly. They fixed the aeroshield cover that was missing bolts and dragging on the road, they fixed the charge port, they fixed the utrasonic sensors , they restored NOA and Auto Park. They also noticed some squeaking sounds from the control and they fixed that too. Total cost was about $900. Total repair time was about 5 hours. Overall, the experience was exceptional. I dropped the car off, walked over to the nearby mall, got lunch, walked over to the nearby AMC theater and watched Thor: Love and Thunder. Then walked back to the service center, paid my bill and drove off. An the service center charged my car for me so I had enough to drive home without needing to stop at a supercharger. Just a great experience. They did great work in a timely manner and were super friendly.
Did they mention what the charge port's issue was?