Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Problem with Trip Meters, Energy App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My car has been in a bit of a snit lately. It went in for annual service, came back with intermittent problems with the brake lights. It went back in and that took a month to resolve. Then when it came back the washer pump wouldn't work. They fixed that but now I'm getting bizarre stuff with the screen data.

It always shows "Since 3:28 PM" with no km and no Wh/km, and random hours - could be 53 hours, could be negative. The other trip odometers show nothing at all. The main speedometer and odometer work fine.

IMG_6031.JPG

Energy App is completely disabled. Never shows anything.
IMG_6035.JPG

I've reported this to Tesla, but so far crickets. Anyone have an idea what is going on here? I'm thinking maybe a bad firmware load. (Yes I reset both computers as soon as I noticed this.)

Doug, when you charge the car does it show you how many kms and/or kWh were added? If that is the same sensor that is used to record how many kWhrs are drawn from the pack when driving,and it is also not working for charging, that may narrow it down a bit.

Ohhh... that is plausible. I was keeping Trip B to monitor the lifetime (well, since the touchscreen was replaced in 2013) power consumption rate of the car.

Also plausible that it needs to keep some trip details in order to do the average power calculation.

Ohhh... that is plausible. I was keeping Trip B to monitor the lifetime (well, since the touchscreen was replaced in 2013) power consumption rate of the car.

Also plausible that it needs to keep some trip details in order to do the average power calculation.

FWIW, my Trip B has never been reset since March 2013 and I now have near 150,000 km on the car. No issues like those described here whatsoever.

FWIW, my Trip B has never been reset since March 2013 and I now have near 150,000 km on the car. No issues like those described here whatsoever.

Well it really shouldn't be an issue. It should just maintain cumulative energy and cumulative distance registers. But there's plenty of evidence of weak software design visible through the UI, so you never know.

Did anyone have this resolved by Tesla. My 2017 MS has started doing the exact same thing. Trip meter only counts time, none of the three count mileage. I've reset the trip meters as well as rebooted both screens. Odometer is working fine. Navigation sometime gets stuck "Calculating" then gives up and never navigates. A reboot fixes the nav, but not the trip meters. I've contacted Tesla three times through the app, and each time they close the case with something like "not a range related issue".