Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welcome to Arpadsoo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently noticed that my P85+ does not automatically drop to the low ride setting as it previously did. I did not find any notes regarding a change in the software with the new updates. Is there anybody else who experienced the same problem? Any solutions?

Hey guys, there is no need to be rude to the OP. Not everyone is savvy in using internet forums, and most Model S owners don't come here to discuss their vehicle. In the time it took to write you replies, you could have just answered his or her question.

@ arpadsoo - With firmware 5.8, Tesla has disabled the "Low" mode at freeway speeds due to the two Model S fires that were caused by undercarriage impacts. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, has promised that this functionality will return some time in January with a subsequent software update. The presumption is that the freeway lowering was disabled in order to lessen the risk of another battery puncture, and Tesla wanted to reduce the risk while it analyzed the issue and allowed the NHTSA to investigate.

Here is a link to one of the most active threads here discussing this issue:

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8))

@ arpadsoo
I have had three recent firmware updates, two in the last week.

Within the first version of 5.8 firmware (about 3 1/2 weeks ago), among other things (vampire loss reduction) it also eliminated/deleted the automatic lowering of the car above 55 mph, and it could not be over-ridden to lower the suspension setting.

The second version 5.8 (?) from last week returned the automatic lowering feature, after you were above 55 mph for over 30 seconds. It also could be manually set once you reached 55 mph before the 30 second time period.
It is not possible to set the lowered height setting when the car is going below 55 mph: it beeps (rejects that setting) and returns to standard height.
The car does NOT lower quite as much as it had with the original software settings, so you should not worry about this detail when going over 55 mph.

The latest version of 5.8.4 (yesterday) addresses charging rate for the car, and will automatically reduce the charging rate by 25% if it senses there is a fluctuation in input power voltage to your vehicle.

As your car is updated, Accept the latest firmware, and the settings should return.
Hope this addresses your considerations.

To bear repeating myself: The MS is MUCH smarter than I am.

It's not about being grumpy NoMoGas (cool nick btw). In my opinion it's about respect. If every newbie comes here and starts a thread for each and every question that has been answered or discussed countless times this forum goes down.

"Not everyone is savvy to use internet forums? You must be kidding Amped. If someone doesn't know how to use a forum which is basically just reading through the subjects of different threads good luck with getting around MS interface.

Merry Christmas

Hey guys, there is no need to be rude to the OP. Not everyone is savvy in using internet forums, and most Model S owners don't come here to discuss their vehicle. In the time it took to write you replies, you could have just answered his or her question.

I agree with amped. The guy is new here so cut him some slack. I don't want us to get a reputation as a bunch of arrogant arseholes here on TMC.

It's not about being grumpy NoMoGas (cool nick btw). In my opinion it's about respect. If every newbie comes here and starts a thread for each and every question that has been answered or discussed countless times this forum goes down.

"Not everyone is savvy to use internet forums? You must be kidding Amped. If someone doesn't know how to use a forum which is basically just reading through the subjects of different threads good luck with getting around MS interface.

Merry Christmas

In the spirit of Christmas, I can see both sides of this, and revisited the Forum Rules on its guidance (Forum Rules). It does say:

Be Welcoming!
When newcomers arrive, welcome them to our growing community. Many of our community's senior members are a wealth of knowledge and have much to share. Help new members learn about how to find information and resources, save time, and how to get involved in the Community.

However beyond this, there is no specific advice to newcomers on starting new threads. I think it would be great if the mods (if they are listening) add a section like @leonari suggests on "Being Respectful" or "Be Efficient!" -- use the search tool to see if threads already exist addressing your question. This could be used as an educational experience on searching the forums. Personally, I still have problems finding things using one of several search tools on the site and wouldn't mind a pointer in a sticky...

Merry Christmas!

Wow, I had no idea I'm going to start such a turmoil and some would be bothered just by a simple question?! I apologize to those bothered by me starting a new thread. Honestly, I am new to the forum, this was the first time I used it and I did search before I posted, however the words I used to search with "riding position" did not come back with any related issues. Should have explored it a bit more before posting. Would have been nice to unknowingly give a Christmas gift to someone in Austria.
Thank you all the others for your kind words and informative, useful responses.
Cheers to all!

@arpadsoo
Welcome to the forum!

We're a bit cranky (well some of us, me included) lately about a couple relatively recent developments with the Model S. One of them was the temporary removal of the Low suspension setting. In addition to having a number of threads discussing the issue with various themes, we've had a few rounds (generally) on the forum of "people seemingly with bad intentions" causing a ruckuss as well.

Please don't feel shy about starting a new thread on any reasonable and relevant topic. This forum is blessed with moderators that generally keep things in order by doing things like converging threads, banishing rude behavior to some "black hole" threads (dumping ground threads where you can't post to directly), etc. If you make a habit of creating a lot of redundant and/or nonsense threads, then you and the mods can cross that bridge later. Don't fret about it too much while just starting out, even if some of us are cranky in response.

@brianman

Thank you for the encouragement. I know there is a learning curve with each forum and culture. My first impression was to stay away from cranky people as I don't enjoy adversity, but one can learn from everybody, so I am back. :wink:

I think we've been through a lot in the past 3 months. Certainly this forum was a lot more fun last summer, as the most popular posts were probably about delivery pictures.

Anyways, I think things will get to be a lot more fun soon enough and welcome!