Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"On Saturday the 13th of November,"

Uh 10 days?

The Carfax thing is a bit puzzling, it should have shown up as a fleet vehicle IIRC.

It's easy for us in the cold light of day, removed from the scenario, to second guess OP's decision making and judgement. But getting caught up in the moment, eager to get a car now, for a reasonable price, it's not hard difficult to see how it would be be easy to overlook small niggling concerns and get swindled.
I agree...here is the carfax.

Attachments

• image_123986672 (2).JPG
    image_123986672 (2).JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image_123986672 (1).JPG
    image_123986672 (1).JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 123
  • image_123986672.JPG
    image_123986672.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 130
IF I was feeling suspicious (and I'm not at all sure of that), I may have seen the CA registration and titling as a red flag.

Maybe. Can we see a scan of the car title ?
That’s what I am not seeing in this thread. They agreed to buy a car you would expect to be handed a full legal title of ownership which No rental place would hand over. Any vehicle I have ever purchased I get the title mailed to me Before taking a trip out to pick it up so I can verify title And register for plates and trip. Where is the title?

You're still not extracting the point I'm trying to make.

The claim here is the bank is responsible or liable for the fraudsters ability to cash the check. I am asserting this is inaccurate, and that just like a pile of cash you give to a baddie, what happens to a valid, non-counterfeit check, after they issue it to you is not their problem.
Banks try to do their best to stop fraud and illegal activities though. Even if it was cash if they suspected illegal activity they would flag your transactions, refuse your transactions until you provided sufficient proof of legitimate actions that would explain the transaction, etc. Try opening a new account somewhere and making multiple deposits of cash in large amounts (usually over $10k is a red flag) and they would get suspicious unless you explained you had a business or something. Then they might ask for more information about your business etc.

I agree with you that it is not their prime directive to stop financial crimes, but they absolutely do watch for that stuff regardless of the financial instrument. I’m addition, cashiers checks can be counterfeit and it would be in the banks interest to verify they’ll actually get the money they are paying out. Maybe they called and verified the funds and it was all good, but in that case I’m astonished they basically gave the middle finger to the police report and essentially shrugged and said “not our problem.”

All of this also sets of a gazillion red flags if the sums of money are large ($10k+), you want cash instead of deposit, and you’re not an established customer. That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever processed the transaction was either a friend or knew about the scam.

How many people legitimately just carry around $30k or stash it at home? Most people would deposit that even if they were going to relocate that money to other accounts or pay off a loan. If he cashed it at the issuing bank, well that would be less suspicious (because you would think the issuing bank would be more comfortable verifying it wasn’t a fake check etc) but then again, flag the cashiers check and you put a stop to illegal activity.

For this transaction the bank would have required a CTR to be filled out that would have required verifying ID and recording down a social security number or tax ID. Likely these were fake in this case, but still there is that extra step. If someone backs away from the transaction when asked for this additional information than a SAR (Suspicious activity report) would be filled out once the customer left. Banks are required to try to avoid and stop illegal activities. In fact, I’m sure the original poster had to provide that info (likely didn’t realize it if he was an established customer already at that bank).

Reactions: Corndart
Maybe this will stop the insanity here:

Again, I don't post these things with glee or any enjoyment for the OP's predicament, it really sucks and I'm emphathetic. But ranting about hire a lawyer and the bank is at fault is completely misguided IMHO.

Work with LEO and hopefully this dirtbag gets caught. Good / painful lesson for others buying a used vehicle to not fall into a similar trap.
To clarify I’m not saying the bank is legally at fault, just that they are a S*** bank that should have more due diligence. Legally as long as they collected his ID and social security number they are in the clear. As good business practice and to minimize financial crimes, absolutely dropped the ball.

That’s what I am not seeing in this thread. They agreed to buy a car you would expect to be handed a full legal title of ownership which No rental place would hand over. Any vehicle I have ever purchased I get the title mailed to me Before taking a trip out to pick it up so I can verify title And register for plates and trip. Where is the title?
Here is the title....bank was a Credit union, so he most likely didn't cash it at one...simply because most credit unions don't have a way to take a check in and cash it in the same transaction. He would have had to deposit it, wait a few days, and cash it after he made sure he could access the money.

Attachments

• title tesla model y front.jpg
    title tesla model y front.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 129
Here is the title....bank was a Credit union, so he most likely didn't cash it at one...simply because most credit unions don't have a way to take a check in and cash it in the same transaction. He would have had to deposit it, wait a few days, and cash it after he made sure he could access the money.
I've never looked at a CA title before but it looks legitimate enough to me. The name / address doesn't match the ID that you originally posted however. Might want to blur out some of the PII details on that title unless it's for sure (one of?) the fraudster. DOX'ing a bystander isn't too cool in my book.

Damn, what a *sugar* show, hope your luck turns, and they catch this dirt bag.

I've never looked at a CA title before but it looks legitimate enough to me. The name / address doesn't match the ID that you originally posted however. Might want to blur out some of the PII details on that title unless it's for sure (one of?) the fraudster. DOX'ing a bystander isn't too cool in my book.

Damn, what a *sugar* show, hope your luck turns, and they catch this dirt bag.
The name and address do match the CA license that he had...the NV was used to rent the car.

Attachments

• liscense front.jpg
    liscense front.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Informative
The name and address do match the CA license that he had...the NV was used to rent the car.
Yikes, what a story! I hope this guy gets caught soon. Good thing you have closeup photo of this guy.

So that does indeed look like a CA title. Could have fooled me. Does it have the watermark? Did he hand it to you presigned? In the past when I’ve bought and sold used cars, the title would usually be signed in the presence of the buyer, and the license checked to verify a match. Also I notice the odometer reading isn’t filled out which is usually done at the point of sale.

Yikes, what a story! I hope this guy gets caught soon. Good thing you have closeup photo of this guy.

So that does indeed look like a CA title. Could have fooled me. Does it have the watermark? Did he hand it to you presigned? In the past when I’ve bought and sold used cars, the title would usually be signed in the presence of the buyer, and the license checked to verify a match. Also I notice the odometer reading isn’t filled out which is usually done at the point of sale.
All that was done in front of me. It's crazy how good of a fraud it was....as I even had the car next door look as I didn't want any issues to arise after I left.

I don't know if CA does the same thing, but I think if I were to ever buy a car private party now, I would insist on going to the DMV, and filling out a duplicate title form, without change in ownership. (That's what they call it in Washington). This way, you can be sure the title is authentic, becuase the DMV will issue the title in person, on the spot. If the title the seller supplied was faked, this will be readily apparent when the DMV fetches the title info from their db. This way I can be sure that the title is authentic/valid... I'd tell the seller, no offense to them, it's for my benefit. If the title is authentic, they have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: SageBrush