Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if CA does the same thing, but I think if I were to ever buy a car private party now, I would insist on going to the DMV, and filling out a duplicate title form, without change in ownership. (That's what they call it in Washington). This way, you can be sure the title is authentic, becuase the DMV will issue the title in person, on the spot. If the title the seller supplied was faked, this will be readily apparent when the DMV fetches the title info from their db. This way I can be sure that the title is authentic/valid... I'd tell the seller, no offense to them, it's for my benefit. If the title is authentic, they have nothing to worry about.
Due to Covid restrictions you may only be able to visit the DMV with an appointment.

Have you tried contacting maybe some of the news affiliates in San Diego to air your case? It seems interesting enough for them to air it, maybe he’ll get recognized. Email them the story, with the pictures, fake title and etc. Also try Santa Barbara and Las Vegas. It’s local news, so who knows…
I actually plan on getting a local news station up here attention if the bank doesn't help me this week when I return home. Great idea, I mean if it gets to that point...I really want a go fund me page...even if a few people donate $10....I could buy a new Tesla...as I have a reservation for Dec 2021...so, not too long.

Yeah, that crook definitely does not look like a Chad. That’s for sure.

Oh, I’d also look into the place where he rented that Tesla. Because his description does not match, at all. Maybe they were in on it… Or the worker just looked at the picture and said you’re good.
The car rental place is:
Pacific Ride Tesla Rentals:Rent a Tesla in San Diego | Pacific Ride Tesla Rentals Please don't spam these guys, as they hopefully are a legitimate business .

GoFundMe’s are normally people who are sick, need help for a funeral or if they lost their house in some natural disaster. It follows in that path. Asking people to help you raise money, so you buy a 60k car, then it’s a bit of a problem.

I’ll be honest, you won’t crack more than a few hundred dollars. I get what happened to you is a terrible, terrible thing but hinting or asking for financial help is a bit much. If you need a car, go lease something affordable until you get back on your feet.

Because as noted above, the more you’re asking the more suspect this story is sounding.

GoFundMe’s are normally people who are sick, need help for a funeral or if they lost their house in some natural disaster. It follows in that path. Asking people to help you raise money, so you buy a 60k car, then it’s a bit of a problem.

I’ll be honest, you won’t crack more than a few hundred dollars. I get what happened to you is a terrible, terrible thing but hinting or asking for financial help is a bit much. If you need a car, go lease something affordable until you get back on your feet.

Because as noted above, the more you’re asking the more suspect this story is sounding.
Ok, deleted...and I will edit my 1st post. I know I have to rebuild on my own. Just frustrated. Sorry, if anyone felt I was trying to do anything but share my story.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Ok, deleted...and I will edit my 1st post. I know I have to rebuild on my own. Just frustrated. Sorry, if anyone felt I was trying to do anything but share my story.
No worries.

I had a question though. Where did you get that picture of the selfie? Was that his OfferUp account? Plus, try posting this story on Reddit if you have not. Hopefully it’s get passed around and you’ll get a break in the case.

Consider this: OP is putting himself under everyman's microscope for inspection, criticism, and schadenfreude. He is helping you to avoid falling victim like he did. Is that really not worth a few dollars to you ? You deeply sympathize, but want him to suffer every last penny of loss ... because ?

Pardon me, but wtf is wrong with you ?

. He is helping you to avoid falling victim like he did. Is that really not worth a few dollars to you ?

You can’t be serious. The OP is helping all others not to fall victim? How? by someone other than the OP asking why anyone would buy a Tesla without seeing APP access? How about without having the person reset the car to factory settings, by having them log out?

To be honest, it very much seems like this was a case of money being parted rather quickly for a fairly crazy low priced Y. Which… again… should have been part of the clue that this too good to be true sale should have been conducted differently.

Begging/hinting at a GofundMe for being silly enough to spend ~50k$ on something that wasn’t verified, is silly. Very silly. seems like anyone spending 5k+ would verify they aren’t buying stolen property.

Crazy new world where others need to pay someone to read about their silly ~50k “purchase”.

Technically it wasn't stolen until he took possession of it.
I mean… a rose by any other name. OP didn’t have the buyer sign out of the car, OP didn’t do due diligence into what he was buying.
Well this thread is starting to drift a bit now

...and tbh 50k for a used one is not that great a deal, I mean it's not necessarily a number that should set the alarm bells ringing
I’ll buy the next 3, 50k model Y LR with low miles that you find. It’s a low price in a high priced Model Y market. Alarm bells should be going off for thinking otherwise.

Obviously, this scam sucks. My wife works at a bank. I hear about fraud all the time
We need to be cautious.
Unless I missed it in the thread, I never saw anyone mention that the ID’s had different DOB’S
Once you see a red flag you have to walk
I’ve been scammed before. The minute you let your guard down, some fraudster will be there to try and get your money

Obviously, this scam sucks. My wife works at a bank. I hear about fraud all the time
We need to be cautious.
Unless I missed it in the thread, I never saw anyone mention that the ID’s had different DOB’S
Once you see a red flag you have to walk
I’ve been scammed before. The minute you let your guard down, some fraudster will be there to try and get your money
I only saw his CA drivers license....so, for anyone thinking I didn't do my due diligence, I did. I had a Carfax, checked id, and vin, and title. They all matched, and that for most people is good enough. Yes, Tesla has an app...but not everyone knows that.

Very silly. seems like anyone spending 5k+ would verify they aren’t buying stolen property.
I VERIFIED it wasn't stolen....as it was rented, and even when I returned it to the police...it wasn't reported STOLEN!! Come on guys...give me a break...this is turning into something I don't want to comment on. I did everything I could to protect myself.

I VERIFIED it wasn't stolen....as it was rented, and even when I returned it to the police...it wasn't reported STOLEN!! Come on guys...give me a break...this is turning into something I don't want to comment on. I did everything I could to protect myself.
Theft by conversion?

You verified it wasn’t stolen, but didn’t verify that the vehicle wasn’t rented. Did your ‘title’ have a watermark?

Certainly doesn’t look like you did “everything” you could to protect yourself and now are kinda sad about getting called out for eluding to needing/wanting a ‘gofundme’ in multiple posts.

Question for you OP: if you hadn’t been able to supercharge on your trip home, what would you have done (if the rental company hadn’t picked up the tab for it)

Bottom line, for anyone looking to purchase a Tesla or any “connected” car… get the seller to logout of the vehicle or the app, in front of you. One little step could have saved the OP ~50k$.

Did I miss where the registration matched the title?

Age old adage STILL rings true, if it sounds too good to be true…. It likely is.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Consider this: OP is putting himself under everyman's microscope for inspection, criticism, and schadenfreude. He is helping you to avoid falling victim like he did. Is that really not worth a few dollars to you ? You deeply sympathize, but want him to suffer every last penny of loss ... because ?

Pardon me, but wtf is wrong with you ?
1637888165652.gif