Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, the Problem Threads are Slowing Down Considerably

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of the lucky ones with no major issues (some misalignment and other items, but my car is great and I haven't take it back to SC)...yet. But today, the passenger side front window started acting up and not fitting in the seal as it goes up, but rather closing over the chrome trim on the outside of the car - it looks like it would be really bad for the window. I was able to get it back down and, after a couple of attempts, it slipped up and into the seal, but now I actually have an issue that will require me to go to the SC since I don't want my window to end-up getting stuck in the down position.

That said, my relatively low VIN has been really great. I love the car and, as others noted, IF people were paying attention, they would have noted a TON of similar problems with the S launch. The difference is no one paid attention to the S launch as Tesla wasn't yet a household name. With the X launch, and the 3, there's a spotlight on TM given the S success.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and ohmman
Just to add my 2 cents (times 5,850,000 for what I paid for my MX 90D)...

After 4 days, my MX seems to be okay. -Reading these forums makes me scared and I feel for those people who are having problems-
At this point, I can't tell if the "problems" I am having are just "l-user error" or actual problems, I work in an industry where everyone seems to have an [different] opinion about how our products should/could work... so I empathize with Tesla.

I will say that I looked at the car thoroughly before driving it off the lot. The only problem I noticed - and they fixed it immediately before leaving - was that some of the adhesive was still on the car (near the hood, possibly from the transport tape, but I can't believe someone else didn't notice it!)

Obviously, I'll try to stay active on here and report my experience - positive or negative

Reactions: Zroiron
@Buddyroe do yourself a favor and invest your time elsewhere. I've been able to afford placing a Model X because of a couple of years of good investing, and considering either buying or shorting Tesla is a fools game. If you're looking to make money, short Sears, or buy Gamestop, but TSLA is far too emotionally charged :)
Post like THIS is why I want to be able to LIKE or DISLIKE, but can't seem to figure out how...

BTW, I would LIKE this post @Brandon332. Congrats on your investment gains and purchase

... But, not if they keep producing cars where 1/3 to 1/2 have to come back for warranty repairs in the first 3 months.

We Tesla fans will tolerate that in our cars (lumping myself in as a Tesla fan), but the average person will NOT. When the Model 3 comes out, it won't be entirely made up of Tesla lovers like yourself and me. It will be everyday car buyers and they will pitch a dang fit if the car has these kinds of issues.

The wealthier a person is, the less complains filed against Tesla because the amount of money spent on the car is relatively less important to them. But if 35000 is someone's life saving or something difficult to aquire over a long time. You bet they will complain until their mouth fall off. Plus with some busted arteries. So tesla better get their quality control together for the mass market where people might not tolerate anything less than what they paid for. There is no room for error.

As most of you know, there will be no "signature" series for the 3. Instead, Tesla plans to delivery the initial production units to fill all of the reservations taken from their employees and those of Space X. They will be the "guinea pigs", and I expect their employment purchase agreement won't allow them to post Youtube defect videos, etc.! Next comes current owners, most of whom are presumably used to (or at least aware of) the possibility of "issues" with earlier production vehicles. Frankly, based on the early S, I expected various issues with the early X, too. The main reason I made a P83 reservation for the X is I live only about 5 miles away from the factory!! (I never shared this publicly before, since I didn't want to dissuade anyone else from ordering early like me!) As it turns out -- knock on wood -- besides the 3rd row recall (I'm VIN F00041#), the only quality issue I've found so far is a separated part of the front driver's door seal [sound of fellow owners going out to the garage to check out their driver's door seals:D] which doesn't affect functionality, and my wife would like to have the sunshade "yesterday". I'll have the minor seal issue addressed when my X's new 3rd row seat backs are ready. I also think when the accessory website showed the old HPWC as "backordered", they should have been posted, instead, that a new model was forthcoming. Then I wouldn't have bought the last $750 unit from Factory Service which has less functionality (no master/slave).

Therefore, before Model 3's are delivered into the hands of the "mass market" of new Tesla customers, they will have been driven by thousands of Tesla and SpaceX employees, followed by current Roadster|S|X owners. IMHO, it's a great strategy on Tesla's part. Still, inevitably there will be some issues with some of the "mass market" 3's. Hopefully, Tesla will inventory enough Model 3 loaners for owners to use while their vehicle is at the SC.

Last edited:
Post like THIS is why I want to be able to LIKE or DISLIKE, but can't seem to figure out how...
Hah. Had the same problem. Move your mouse over to the REPLY button area on the right of the post and just above. You will see some little icons appear in that area when your mouse moves. The thumbs up and down along with other icons will give you the ability to like/dislike, helpful, funny, love etc. the post.

As far as auto-presenting front doors, I knew that feature would be turned off when I saw Elon demonstrate it at the delivery event.
My exact thoughts!

And because we have auto-presenting doors that no one at Tesla ever thought would actually be disabled by a single Model X owner, we have no way to open those doors with the keyfob. It's that damned Hubris again. I hope they fire him, soon. Hubris is creating a lot of bad press for this fantastic vehicle.

Just got my X back after having the 12k service done at the Reno service center (which operates out of the Gigafactory on a pick-up/drop-off basis). It took them three days to take care of all the problems on my list, plus do the seat recall and service bulletins, but they did a great job and everything is now working flawlessly!

Reactions: hiroshiy
Just got my X back after having the 12k service done at the Reno service center (which operates out of the Gigafactory on a pick-up/drop-off basis). It took them three days to take care of all the problems on my list, plus do the seat recall and service bulletins, but they did a great job and everything is now working flawlessly!

That's a decent amount of miles! Any thoughts on the car so far? Have you written a review?

...As the Model X ages you might experience a flatting of the seal around the Falcon Wing Door opening. While not a problem in a regular vehicle, Tesla Motors chose to add sensors in the seal. False signals occur as the seal flattens.

I took photos today to send to the SC. The recent seal displacement is easy to see and this topic hasn't been discussed that I am aware of. The first photo shows the right falcon wing door opening and how the seal in the corner is pulling away from the corner curve. The door closing over time has caused a cut on the inside and the smashing of the rounded portion that now creates false signals preventing the door from closing. (Override closure available by using the touchscreen.)

Compare with the seal on the left falcon wing door opening that is more properly mounted in the corner curve.

IMG_3436R.JPG IMG_3437L.JPG

I'd rather mention these occasional new discoveries in an appropriate existing thread rather than start WWX by creating a new topic.

The recent seal displacement is easy to see and this topic hasn't been discussed that I am aware of. The first photo shows the right falcon wing door opening and how the seal in the corner is pulling away from the corner curve.
I had this problem at delivery with my passenger side falcon wing door. It's one of the items on my due bill - the seal is fully pulled away from the car at the curve. It will be addressed next week.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
My exact thoughts!

And because we have auto-presenting doors that no one at Tesla ever thought would actually be disabled by a single Model X owner, we have no way to open those doors with the keyfob. It's that damned Hubris again. I hope they fire him, soon. Hubris is creating a lot of bad press for this fantastic vehicle.
Its a new feature and will take some time to mature. In my opinion, it will be widely used and loved by owners. Just give it some time.