Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went to test drive a Model 3 in preparation for my Model Y pre-order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All;

I drove a Tesla for the first time over the weekend. I have a mid January Model Y pre-order. After countless hours of youtube videos and reading Forums like this, I was able to experience my first in person Tesla action. My experience was a bit underwhelming. Once the initial lure of the tech and cool factor wore off, and I was in the middle of my test drive, I started to look around and immediately think, "I thought my 60k car would be a little nicer than this -__-". Thoughts below:

Positives:
- Cool Factor. By far the coolest car I have been in, and I don't see another brand matching that in the next 2-3 years.
- Acceleration. Was driving a LR Model 3. Was truly impressed by the acceleration.
- More front passenger room than I expected

Negatives;

- Rough ride for price point.
- Noisy ride for price point
- Fixtures were very low quality for price point
- Very limited 2nd row space
- Kind of a snug fit, I know the Model Y will be 10% larger, but kind of a narrow car and will fill a little snug for longer road trips.

After the test drive, it made me really explore the Used Model X market. I think the fixtures match the price point in the used market.

Would love feedback on what you think is a better buy for ~63K. New LR Model Y or Used late year 2016 Model X (Both with full self drive).

The best way to decide is to drive the Model X. The Model Y might be more spacious, but if you really think the Model 3 is too snug you should try the Model X. It is NOT snug.

One major advantage of the Model X is that it is very maneuverable for such a large car. I have driven a Model X in VERY tight spots like the center city of Bergamo, Padua and others in Italy within the pedestrian only areas, when BEV still can enter. FWIW the Model X I was driving had >100,000km and was largely indistinguishable from new. Used Teslae tend to be very durable, but are expensive to repair when out of warranty, although not expensive considering the car. I'd try to get one that is in warranty, preferably a Tesla CPO (Certified Pre-Owned). Private sales are cheaper but don't come with the Tesla extended warranty.

You'll end out happiest if the size and features seem right for you. Why compromise if you don't need to do that?

After more than five years of Tesla I cannot imagine anything else, so I admit it, I'm a fan!

The battery isn't cheap and accounts for a lot of the price premium.
No, it's not a Lincoln or a Cadillac.
The electric vehicle portion has significant value, no oil changes or other scheduled maintenance. I charge at home, so I never have to worry about going to fill it up.
The full glass roof is pretty awesome.
It's a huge conversation starter.
It won't be the same car next year, as it will have new features by then.

It's a horse of a different color.

The battery isn't cheap and accounts for a lot of the price premium.
No, it's not a Lincoln or a Cadillac.
The electric vehicle portion has significant value, no oil changes or other scheduled maintenance. I charge at home, so I never have to worry about going to fill it up.
The full glass roof is pretty awesome.
It's a huge conversation starter.
It won't be the same car next year, as it will have new features by then.

It's a horse of a different color.

All true of a Model X and solves every negative OP listed.

I swapped from Model 3 to Model X because of his negatives (and then some).

You can probably find a used Raven Model X by the time his Model Y would have been delivered.

:p
Hi All;

I drove a Tesla for the first time over the weekend. I have a mid January Model Y pre-order. After countless hours of youtube videos and reading Forums like this, I was able to experience my first in person Tesla action. My experience was a bit underwhelming. Once the initial lure of the tech and cool factor wore off, and I was in the middle of my test drive, I started to look around and immediately think, "I thought my 60k car would be a little nicer than this -__-". Thoughts below:

Positives:
- Cool Factor. By far the coolest car I have been in, and I don't see another brand matching that in the next 2-3 years.
- Acceleration. Was driving a LR Model 3. Was truly impressed by the acceleration.
- More front passenger room than I expected

Negatives;

- Kind of a snug fit, I know the Model Y will be 10% larger, but kind of a narrow car and will fill a little snug for longer road trips.

After the test drive, it made me really explore the Used Model X market. I think the fixtures match the price point in the used market.

Would love feedback on what you think is a better buy for ~63K. New LR Model Y or Used late year 2016 Model X (Both with full self drive).
(looks at post count)...oh boy, you better put a helmet on because it's about to get rough!:p

All true of a Model X and solves every negative OP listed.

I swapped from Model 3 to Model X because of his negatives (and then some).

You can probably find a used Raven Model X by the time his Model Y would have been delivered.
As much as I like the X's FWD i5t wouldn't surprise me to see them go away next iteration. Although I bet it would be awesome to have that huge windshield and an all-glass roof!

empire.jpg
i also drove a model 3 this past weekend for the first time. i found it a little compact for my liking but that will take care of itself with the extra height of the Y. i thought the car was amazingly quiet but also plan to install some of the sound reduction aftermarket parts. Same with the interior. i chose black (because i'm too much of a slob for white) but plan on wrapping the console, putting on different colored seat covers that are widely avaible, and other stuff.

meanwhile my adult son said the pearl white with induction wheels i ordered looked like a stormtrooper car, which i found hilarious so i plan on emphasizing that a bit with stuff like this sticker

Rough ride for price point.

Yes, all of these valid. I don't think the model Y will solve the narrow factor. I am a big person, and I have big friends. The Model Y is not expected to be any wider than the Model 3. If that is a concern, I recommend you look at a used model X.

Whenever I see "for the price point" then you are not going to be happy with a Tesla. The interior never competes well with traditional luxury cars (Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes) at the same price point. That is not Tesla's focus. Wait for those manufacturers all electric cars, and you will be much happier. The EQC, eTron and others have a much nicer cabin, more traditional and have very soft surfaces. They will not be much wider though as they are targeted at the European market which values a narrower car. Parking on the side streets on 300 year old roads requires a narrow car.

I thought the car was amazingly quiet but also plan to install some of the sound reduction aftermarket parts.

Amazingly quiet but still requiring aftermarket sound reduction aftermarket parts?

BTW on smooth roads Model 3 tire noise is fine. Under 45 mph even on rough roads is also fine.
On rough highways (about 50% in New England) you need to pull over to make a hands free phone call.

Curious which after market parts you're thinking of. Because I did about half a dozen things (no permanent changes, like reinsulating doors etc.) that made the Model 3 not terrible, but still by no means what I would call good. I'd rate the Model X as very good with no changes. But still could be a little better, especially at it's price point.

Hi All;

Negatives;

If you drive the Model 3 with the rear seats down, the noise inside the car is even louder making me worry a bit about the Model Y noise.

Whenever I see "for the price point" then you are not going to be happy with a Tesla. The interior never competes well with traditional luxury cars (Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes) at the same price point. That is not Tesla's focus. Wait for those manufacturers all electric cars, and you will be much happier. The EQC, eTron and others have a much nicer cabin, more traditional and have very soft surfaces. They will not be much wider though as they are targeted at the European market which values a narrower car. Parking on the side streets on 300 year old roads requires a narrow car.

Exactly. When I started test driving cars again for kids car (ok, so I tried some I luxury cars I would never get for the kid, but it's fun) I was thinking each of them had a pretty poor drivetrain "for the price point". It's a trade off and one has to decide which qualities are important to them.

I'm even more sensitive as I just got the estimate for $4k to rebuild the transmission in my truck.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Tesla’s are not luxury vehicles. They are poorly assembled shells on top of very expensive batteries with excellent software.

A model X is a rolling set of problems waiting to happen. I cannot comment on the Model Y yet but I assume it will be very similar to the build and ride quality of a Model 3. Which is to say embarrassing for its price point.

If you must get a Tesla, get the cheapest, newest model, with the most range.

Amazingly quiet but still requiring aftermarket sound reduction aftermarket parts?

BTW on smooth roads Model 3 tire noise is fine. Under 45 mph even on rough roads is also fine.
On rough highways (about 50% in New England) you need to pull over to make a hands free phone call.

Curious which after market parts you're thinking of. Because I did about half a dozen things (no permanent changes, like reinsulating doors etc.) that made the Model 3 not terrible, but still by no means what I would call good. I'd rate the Model X as very good with no changes. But still could be a little better, especially at it's price point.
thanks for the feedback. as i said i'm new to tesla, so i have been looking at things like extra foam in the door spaces, pads for the inside of the frunk lid, and similar. fortunately they are not expensive. and i note that you have tried them. again, great info to have.

as for the question on why more sound deadening on a silent car, what i have read is that you hear more outside and road noise because the car itself is so quiet.

Since you mentioned this -
New LR Model Y or Used late year 2016 Model X (Both with full self drive).

Do note that the FSD system on both cars is very different. A 2016 car would have AP1 - which is based on MobileEye. The new car would have Tesla's AP3. Neither are going to get you anywhere w/o yourself taking full responsibility to monitor the car. The AP1 system will always stay at its current level as there is no longer a MobileEye/Tesla relationship. The AP3 system *might* get better - but I suggest you judge value it on what it can do the day you buy the car. Ignore the future looking statements.

Reactions: Aarons12
Tesla sells two luxury performance vehicles. The S/X. They start at about $80-85 new. They are quiet and powerful. Great road cars with lots of seating and interior space.

They are also selling two lesser expensive more sporty cars. Starting around $40-$50,000. These are more cost effective and more nimble handling. They are not as quiet or smooth riding.

ICE manufacturers sometime provide an even higher looking interior. They want you to focus more on that, then the fact that they are horribly polluting and run on expensive petrol. Require multiple services per year, and depreciate rapidly.

If you want to go electiric, and get all the benefits, then you need to compare one EV to another EV.

Currently Jaguar seems to have one of the nicest interiors, and is pretty quiet as well. However they have their own issues, that cause many potential buyers to circle back to Tesla.

Mercedes S class has one of the nicest and quietest interiors on the planet, yet Tesla Model S seems to be eating their lunch with their much less luxuryous interiors.

If you buy a ICE car, you will understand why the Tesla is a better choice everytime you stand outside at a gas station and fill it with noxious gasoline.

Since you mentioned this -

Do note that the FSD system on both cars is very different. A 2016 car would have AP1 - which is based on MobileEye. The new car would have Tesla's AP3. Neither are going to get you anywhere w/o yourself taking full responsibility to monitor the car. The AP1 system will always stay at its current level as there is no longer a MobileEye/Tesla relationship. The AP3 system *might* get better - but I suggest you judge value it on what it can do the day you buy the car. Ignore the future looking statements.

Late year 2016 have AP2 which also upgrade able, which is why i referenced late year 2016. Def would like at least AP2.

Reactions: PJFW8
Late year 2016 have AP2 which also upgrade able, which is why i referenced late year 2016. Def would like at least AP2.
True. Still not clear what AP2.0 cars will end up with for FSD. They have different MCU, radar, and cameras from current cars. I have a March 2017 ap2.0 car.

I always forget the 2016 cars. I started purchasing at that point, but delayed for the 100 battery pack so I lump them into 2017 incorrectly.

thanks for the feedback. as i said i'm new to tesla, so i have been looking at things like extra foam in the door spaces, pads for the inside of the frunk lid, and similar. fortunately they are not expensive. and i note that you have tried them. again, great info to have.

as for the question on why more sound deadening on a silent car, what i have read is that you hear more outside and road noise because the car itself is so quiet.

No, I did not go to that extent at all. I tried to make that clear. I did front and rear sunscreens, doubled up the floor mats (Max3DPider on top of carpet, including frunk and cargo and lower trunk). Stuffed the Frunk to the brim with blankets (I never used the frunk). RPM Noise Reduction Gasket. DIY Door gaskets. Different tires than OEM. These each helped a small fraction. In total I think it was an audible notch quieter than stock but still not as good as I'd like. Not sure if Model Y will have anything over a Model 3 to help address some of the road and wind noise penetration.

A lot of noise comes through the glass and reflects off the glass within the cabin. Some have gone much further "insulating" the glass above your head. Sometimes it feels like your windows are open when a car passes by when your stoppped. My former ICE cars had "Acoustic glass" all around and Active Noise Supression. Lot's of mid to high level cars have active noise supression. It's a bit puzzling that Tesla has not included it in any of their cars. Especially given they like to solve problems with "tech".

It does not need to be uber luxury for reasonably quiet cabin. My Chevy Volt is way quieter than a Model 3, and maybe about equal to the Model X.

It will be curious where Model Y ends up. One other thought is Model 3 had an advantage being a sedan to reduce cabin noise entered from the trunk. But they had this huge vent under the rear window for HVAC and Subwoofer on earlier builds. Later builds Tesla blocked this vent, for unknown reasons, people suspect to cut down noise. They may have moved that ventilation elsewhere (better for suppressing noise?). But blocking that vent did cut down road noise quite a bit (As well as the sub and might harm HCAV air flow). With the Model Y the "trunk" is fully exposed to the cabin (as is Model S, X and my Volt, all quieter than a Model 3). So I'm curious what Tesla will do with even more noise sources into the cabin to make the Y as quiet as Model 3.

The hard smooth poly wheel well liners is probably another source of noise in the Model 3. There are aftermarket solutions for that. It so happens my quieter ICE (with ANC and acoustic glass), Model X and Chevy Volt all have fiber covered wheel well liners to absorb noise. That would be something to check on a model Y.