Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We're going to need a lot more SuperChargers soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If 3rd party stations are used more, vandalism drops off and the incentive exists to quickly fix stations that do break. It already seems like the CCS adapter is causing a huge uptick in the amount of Plugshare check-in's from Tesla drivers using 3rd party stations, especially in areas without superchargers.

Has anyone mentioned the navigation software yet? As Tesla drivers, we have an advantage because we can see the occupancy rates prior to arrival, and can skip a stop if we need to

I wonder if the nest step is to licence the Supercharger API to Ford and GM to give them the same ‘heads up’ information?

Unless this is already possible that is….
Anybody can download the Tesla App and see the status of stations - that's how magic dock users initiate a session.

Soon? Ford and GM aren't adopting NACS until their 2025 models? Tesla can control the non-Tesla traffic at their Superchargers by controlling how many are equipped with Magic Docks...
They won’t be equipped with the Tesla charge port until 2025 but they will be given Supercharger access starting in 2024 with a NACS to CCS adapter available to them.

Reactions: house9
...starting in 2024 with a NACS to CCS adapter available to them.
I expect that people will still have to choose to buy the adapter, so it's not as though they will just mail them to everybody who's bought an EV in the past 5 years. Unless all the 3rd party charging stations drop CCS completely (instead of a dual cable design), the supercharger network may not get the influx everyone is fearing.

They should invent a power bar for the Supercharger, so 5 Bolts can simultaneously use the same Supercharger 😁.
There may not be many Chevy Bolts, but their so called fast charging speed is atrocious.
All jokes aside, the voltage output of the charging post changes depending on SoC, so you would just end up with 5 fried Bolts blocking the charger, possibly on fire.

As you are aware, I was just kidding. What I wasn't kidding about is that the Bolt -even under perfect conditions- can't even charge at 1C, so they can easily occupy a stall for 1.5 hours. There might not be many of them at this point, but they will be using the superchargers for a disproportionately long time.

• Funny
Reactions: Darmie
I expect that people will still have to choose to buy the adapter, so it's not as though they will just mail them to everybody who's bought an EV in the past 5 years. Unless all the 3rd party charging stations drop CCS completely (instead of a dual cable design), the supercharger network may not get the influx everyone is fearing.
Yeah for sure. There won’t be a huge spike in 2024 for non Tesla Supercharger users in NAI would imagine but 2025 will be a different story.

Tesla announcing the doubling of their network and doing it are two very different things. Cybertruck deliveries begain in late 2021, didn't they?

The logistical process of doing that takes a fair bit of time with lots of third parties involved. Even just doubling existing sites may not always be possible, and may also take some upgrades by local power utilities, which can be slow moving institutions.
There's a large difference between doing something that's never been done before by anyone (mass-production of Cybertruck with stainless-steel exoskeleton, also FSD for that matter) and something a company has been doing and ramping up successfully for a decade (Superchargers).

I will concede that third parties don't work at Tesla's pace and may slow things down, but I don't have any doubt about Tesla's ability to manufacture and install Superchargers. If third parties are slowing them down in one region, well North America is a large continent and somebody somewhere will have things ready for Tesla's team to go to work.

Interesting points. If a GM pulls up but can only take advantage of 50kw of the super charger max then we got serious problems. Loooong waits!

Probably not. Tesla builds with more stalls than power and V3 has full power distribution. So unless it's a busy location, a Bolt at a Supercharger wouldn't be an problem for power. The charge port is more of a problem for V3.

Reactions: richyrich
Now that GM has joined Ford in adopting the Tesla charging connector, we are going to need Tesla to scale up the SC network once GM and Ford start selling significant numbers of EVs,
I don't think we're going to see this happening. Ford/GM has made mention that they are not making any profit on EVs now and I don't think they will get there anytime soon. Every time I've looked at a Chevy Bolt over the years, the sales staff was always quick to help you look at their other lineup of vehicles (non EV). The few folks that I know who had purchased the ME or the lightning don't do much traveling. Actually I find that they didn't buy it as a road car but more in town daily. So yes, there will be a ramp up of need but I don't see it happening anytime soon with Ford or GM.

Reactions: richyrich