Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Kelowna, Merritt, Kamloops, Hope and Vancouver on Friday and they all worked GREAT even in some extremely warm temperatures.

Using one at each of those locations really doesn't tell us much. You need to arrive with a low battery and test all of them to ensure they ramp up to 120 kW (or close to it). I find at least one or two that do not at each location. Most people don't even notice or care if they spend extra time -- so it's not an issue. But I use them a lot to and from my cabin and I know which ones to avoid since they don't ramp up over about 70 kW. I am also convinced Tesla is not allowing us to supercharge as fast we used to -- and lots of others report that too --likely to protect the battery but maybe to dissuade use.

Kelowna has an entire fleet of taxis called "Current Taxi," and they seem to constantly be using the supercharger. So I guess this is the Canadian version of Tesloop. Probably no issues with crowding in Kelowna, but I still find this practice/business model rather reprehensible.

They have a contract with Tesla and Best Western that costs them about $5 per charge. Tesla won't allow them to block use (I've never seen Kelowna full and rarely see anyone else but them) and it will expand before that happens -- unless their contract expires or is terminated which would free up the stations but expansion is more likely. I find the business model that of the future. Let's encourage taxiing people around on rainwater (95% of BC's power is from dams) rather than fossil fuels. Nothing reprehensible about that to me.

Last edited:
Using one at each of those locations really doesn't tell us much. You need to arrive with a low battery and test all of them to ensure they ramp up to 120 kW (or close to it).
Sorry bro, but I'm not out there to go on a big fact-finding mission for you. I was just providing the information that I did have. If you didn't want that info, feel free to ignore it. And if you want to go test every stall in BC and report back to us, knock yourself out.

• Disagree
Reactions: Freedom101
Sorry bro, but I'm not out there to go on a big fact-finding mission for you. I was just providing the information that I did have. If you didn't want that info, feel free to ignore it. And if you want to go test every stall in BC and report back to us, knock yourself out.

We were talking about how we need to get certain ones fixed in Hope -- they don't ramp up past 70 kW. Then you said you used them and they are "GREAT" and I replied that your information doesn't really tell us much. Then you take a shot at me as if I have to test them all myself when we were just talking about a Tesla tech sent out in a mini van -- who should be testing them all (and you even quoted that post). That's the point of this discussion. Someone needs to test them all. You didn't -- so you told us basically nothing (all in CAPS too) then took a shot at me for telling you that it means nothing -- to which you reply that I must "knock [my]self out" testing them all -- when I just said the Tesla tech should be doing. Anyways, sorry if the truth hurts but really no need to take offence since you really didn't tell us much.

Last edited:
PLUS EV I see in your signature that you have visited 550+ superchargers. Do you have a blog or web site that lists them all? Are you going to drive across Canada once all the proposed sites are complete?
I drive Calgary to Vancouver quite a bit and have not noticed a 70 kW limitation. I try and stop at each charger with less than 20% remaining. But I've only done the trip once so far this year, so can't comment on any recent changes.
I wish more people would use PlugShare to document this type of behaviour. Apparently Canmore was down last week and none of the Tesla owners reported it on PlugShare. Only reason I noticed that was because a Bolt owner complained that the other stations in town were very busy with Tesla owners because of the outage.
Also wish Tesla could push a notification or alert to us anytime a charger is down.

Isn’t there a sudden limitation on speed when you use the Superchargers too often? I remember one of the users with a Scrat emo (Ice Age) started this thread but I don’t exactly remember what the limitation was.

just came back from a trip to kelowna and used hope/merrit/kelowna SCs and they all works great and maxed out properly except stalls 4a&b in hope which were definitely malfunctioning. They kept fluctuating between 0 to 30 kW several times until finally staying at 28 kW and not moving past it. I moved to the other stalls and they worked fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and PLUS EV
Isn’t there a sudden limitation on speed when you use the Superchargers too often? I remember one of the users with a Scrat emo (Ice Age) started this thread but I don’t exactly remember what the limitation was.
My S90D got throttled after about 200 supercharges. It maxed out at 95kW and was often down in the 70-90kW range (I'm talking with optimal low strength of charge of course). Thus far I haven't had that issue with the S100D, but I've only supercharged 100-200 times with it. I know there are threads that complain a lot about the 90 battery packs so it might have been mostly an issue with them. I can say the 90 pack degraded much quicker than the 100 has so far.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP and Canuck
PLUS EV I see in your signature that you have visited 550+ superchargers. Do you have a blog or web site that lists them all? Are you going to drive across Canada once all the proposed sites are complete?
I drive Calgary to Vancouver quite a bit and have not noticed a 70 kW limitation. I try and stop at each charger with less than 20% remaining. But I've only done the trip once so far this year, so can't comment on any recent changes.
I wish more people would use PlugShare to document this type of behaviour. Apparently Canmore was down last week and none of the Tesla owners reported it on PlugShare. Only reason I noticed that was because a Bolt owner complained that the other stations in town were very busy with Tesla owners because of the outage.
Also wish Tesla could push a notification or alert to us anytime a charger is down.
The link that Mr Plugshare posted is the closest thing I have to a blog. I guess I'm not very organised. Mostly just doing it for fun but I do enjoy that thread and camaraderie with the other supercharger sickos.

And yeah I've been wanting to do Transcanada again on superchargers. I did it in an ICE in 2009 and quite enjoyed it.

Lastly, I agree with you about the notifications of a supercharger being down. Would be nice if they notified you any time one was down within a certain radius. I will say it is nice that they do notify you when you are routed to a particular supercharger. The West Yellowstone supercharger went out while I was half way to it. I was in Cooke City, MT when I got the notification so this was not very convenient, but it was better than not knowing at all. Because of the outage, I had to cut short my drive through Yellowstone NP and basically drive straight across so I had enough charge to get to Idaho Falls. My other option was tour around the park and stay at a hotel with a HPWC in West Yellowstone, but I was in a bit of a hurry and I'd been to Yellowstone before, so I just went with the drive through option.

just came back from a trip to kelowna and used hope/merrit/kelowna SCs and they all works great and maxed out properly except stalls 4a&b in hope which were definitely malfunctioning. They kept fluctuating between 0 to 30 kW several times until finally staying at 28 kW and not moving past it. I moved to the other stalls and they worked fine.
I saw the same thing at Hope last Saturday and reported it to Tesla.

Kelowna was charging really slowly on Sunday never going above about 60kW in every stall I tried, but it had been working well on both on Thursday and Saturday when I was topping up the battery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Using one at each of those locations really doesn't tell us much. You need to arrive with a low battery and test all of them to ensure they ramp up to 120 kW (or close to it). I find at least one or two that do not at each location. Most people don't even notice or care if they spend extra time -- so it's not an issue. But I use them a lot to and from my cabin and I know which ones to avoid since they don't ramp up over about 70 kW. I am also convinced Tesla is not allowing us to supercharge as fast we used to -- and lots of others report that too --likely to protect the battery but maybe to dissuade use.

They have a contract with Tesla and Best Western that costs them about $5 per charge. Tesla won't allow them to block use (I've never seen Kelowna full and rarely see anyone else but them) and it will expand before that happens -- unless their contract expires or is terminated which would free up the stations but expansion is more likely. I find the business model that of the future. Let's encourage taxiing people around on rainwater (95% of BC's power is from dams) rather than fossil fuels. Nothing reprehensible about that to me.

You are bang on. Hope and Merritt both have a couple dudd chargers that have consistently not been close to 120kw for the last year. Can't speak for Kelowna.

It's simple enough to figure out which ones to avoid when you use the Coquihalla a few times.

Chatting with a Tesla salesperson today at Vancouver West 4th location.

Now that downtown Vancouver has their supercharger told me that the next supercharger priority was Fraser valley south of the river. So Surrey / Langley / Abbotsford area. I'm hoping it's in Langley near Hwy 1 (new 216 st overpass maybe?).
Yes, those of us in the Fraser valley are severely under served by the supercharger network. I could see them putting one in around the movie theatre on 200th as it’s close to a lot of restaurants and other amenities.

Does anyone here feel that the Calgary supercharger will be ready soon at Chinook ctr? We will be going thru herein two weeks time and i was wwondering if it would be worth checking out.
There is no indication whatsoever that Tesla is planning a Supercharger at Chinook Centre (other than what is on supercharge.info of course). The head of Supercharging told our Calgary group that it wouldn't likely be at Chinook... as that didn't make sense for travellers. Possibly an urban supercharger for Calgary?

We were talking about how we need to get certain ones fixed in Hope -- they don't ramp up past 70 kW. Then you said you used them and they are "GREAT" and I replied that your information doesn't really tell us much. Then you take a shot at me as if I have to test them all myself when we were just talking about a Tesla tech sent out in a mini van -- who should be testing them all (and you even quoted that post). That's the point of this discussion. Someone needs to test them all. You didn't -- so you told us basically nothing (all in CAPS too) then took a shot at me for telling you that it means nothing -- to which you reply that I must "knock [my]self out" testing them all -- when I just said the Tesla tech should be doing. Anyways, sorry if the truth hurts but really no need to take offence since you really didn't tell us much.

There is definitely at least one "slow" stall at Port Hope. I was able to nearly double my charge rate by moving to another stall.

I was at Golden SpC earlier, and you know, with the wildfires and all, there’s smoke everywhere, and man it was ugly there. For something that was called one of the most scenic chargers in Western Canada, it looks really terrible.
June:
7FEA1997-B291-4226-AAA2-E102AD57685F.jpeg

Today:
9D9D30C1-5484-46A2-A9C5-A373C0BE7CEB.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
1/4 mi visibility this AM in SE Washington,near Oregon and the air quality is “unhealthy“ >150. We skipped our usual April vacation this year. I hope there are more SCs, but also I hope something is left for next year.

Welcome to fire season out West. It’s been bad everywhere lately, even looked like that in Edmonton a few days this past week, and we’re a long way from the fires.
Isn’t it just smog? I remember something like that last week. This is more like, if you’re out for more than 5 minutes, you get a headache.