Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about this post and the one above, I think the reason that these things may be observable is precisely because of the lack of chargers. More island superchargers (including a V3 in Victoria) would really open up the island and suddenly people would come. The Nanaimo charger sat near capacity at busy times all weekend.
I wasn't just talking about EVs. Very few people go up to the northern part of the island (north of Campbell River). There's a small rush of cars when the ferry comes in from Prince Rupert and that's like twice a week. Other than that it's like a frontier. I love it!

I tend to agree with one of the previous posters. 2 superchargers on the island is pretty good at this point. If anything the island was overserved back in 2018 when the 2nd one opened, but now it's probably roughly in line with supercharger coverage on other parts of the continent. With more and more Teslas being sold, I think it's about time to build superchargers in Tofino and Campbell River areas. But I don't think Tesla is way behind in doing this. If they don't do it in the next 2-3 years, then I might complain :)

Not sure where in Kelowna you live but in most cases the new Supercharger in West Kelowna will provide an option if your battery is really low (3% is really low in my world). In certain situations there is a trade-off in stopping to charge (such as in Merritt in this case) versus slowing down a bit; driving slower could get you to your destination sooner if you can avoid a charging stop, more so if the charger has a wait. Do you recall what % charge you had leaving Hope? Of course charging to 95-100% takes time in itself but might not be an issue when charging at home; in your case if you were driving from Kelowna to Hope.
I live in Glenmore. I’d heard how accurate Tesla’s range estimation was, so I was prepared to trust it. I didn’t care how low the charge was when I got home because I have a wall charger at home and I didn’t need the car until the next day. 😃

I think I was on 97% when I left Hope.

I live in Glenmore. I’d heard how accurate Tesla’s range estimation was, so I was prepared to trust it. I didn’t care how low the charge was when I got home because I have a wall charger at home and I didn’t need the car until the next day. 😃

I think I was on 97% when I left Hope.
Thanks for the information. I've also found the range estimation in the car to be accurate.

My takeaway from the various posts about driving a SR+ Hope-Kelowna is that a top-up in Merritt is a good idea in most cases. However there have recently been some long lines at the Merritt Supercharger; 14 cars waiting for a stall to open up on a recent Sunday afternoon. Until the second Supercharger opens in Merritt, the best strategy is probably to drive a bit slower than otherwise and avoid a long wait in Merritt. (The in-car Supercharger information showed a "Long Wait" with a 14 car line and "Medium Wait" with a 8 car line in Merritt.)

Driving faster doesn't always get you to your destination sooner, particularly in an EV when charging stops are necessary.

I wasn't just talking about EVs. Very few people go up to the northern part of the island (north of Campbell River). There's a small rush of cars when the ferry comes in from Prince Rupert and that's like twice a week. Other than that it's like a frontier. I love it!

I tend to agree with one of the previous posters. 2 superchargers on the island is pretty good at this point. If anything the island was overserved back in 2018 when the 2nd one opened, but now it's probably roughly in line with supercharger coverage on other parts of the continent. With more and more Teslas being sold, I think it's about time to build superchargers in Tofino and Campbell River areas. But I don't think Tesla is way behind in doing this. If they don't do it in the next 2-3 years, then I might complain :)

Fair enough about the scarcity of people up island in general.

I think we are at the great tipping point. For a while Teslas were the domain of enthusiasts who are on this site. but, when 1 in 20 cars on the road in Vancouver are Teslas, the world is changing and it is so exciting. When it comes to BC, I think more small fast chargers is going to become more important than the number of larger stations just because the roads are so long. It doesn't matter how much capacity Nanaimo has when that charge only gets you so far. That's sort of what we're seeing in the Kootenays right now.

Thanks for the information. I've also found the range estimation in the car to be accurate.

My takeaway from the various posts about driving a SR+ Hope-Kelowna is that a top-up in Merritt is a good idea in most cases. However there have recently been some long lines at the Merritt Supercharger; 14 cars waiting for a stall to open up on a recent Sunday afternoon. Until the second Supercharger opens in Merritt, the best strategy is probably to drive a bit slower than otherwise and avoid a long wait in Merritt. (The in-car Supercharger information showed a "Long Wait" with a 14 car line and "Medium Wait" with a 8 car line in Merritt.)

Driving faster doesn't always get you to your destination sooner, particularly in an EV when charging stops are necessary.

Now I am wondering what's going on for me. I should check my degradation.

I lost about 10km in predicted range during my most recent drive over the Coq. I'm fortunate to never have to travel during the peak times so waits at SC are not something I generally contend with. But, the reliability of the prediction and not running flat is certainly critical. I know on one trip I was dealing with a 20km headwind with 35km gusts so that explains that and maybe that experience just made me lose my nerve.

Fair enough about the scarcity of people up island in general.

I think we are at the great tipping point. For a while Teslas were the domain of enthusiasts who are on this site. but, when 1 in 20 cars on the road in Vancouver are Teslas, the world is changing and it is so exciting. When it comes to BC, I think more small fast chargers is going to become more important than the number of larger stations just because the roads are so long. It doesn't matter how much capacity Nanaimo has when that charge only gets you so far. That's sort of what we're seeing in the Kootenays right now.

Now I am wondering what's going on for me. I should check my degradation.

I lost about 10km in predicted range during my most recent drive over the Coq. I'm fortunate to never have to travel during the peak times so waits at SC are not something I generally contend with. But, the reliability of the prediction and not running flat is certainly critical. I know on one trip I was dealing with a 20km headwind with 35km gusts so that explains that and maybe that experience just made me lose my nerve.
1 in 20 cars on the road in Vancouver are Tesla? Is this for real. That would be amazing. Seems crazy high though.

1 in 20 cars on the road in Vancouver are Tesla? Is this for real. That would be amazing. Seems crazy high though.

Probably true in certain neighbourhoods, but not for the entire metro area.

@PLUS EV Apparently for new car sales, EVs overall were approximately 10% market share in BC in 2020: B.C. tops North America for electric vehicle uptake in 2020, says minister. I think it's safe to say that the greater-Vancouver area (GVA) is probably noticeably above that percentage while more rural areas and probably noticeably lower. I think it's also safe to say from my own observations around the lower mainland that at least 60% or more of EVs I see on the street are Teslas (that's conservative estimate). With that in mind, I would think that probably around 6%-8% of new car sales in the GVA are probably Teslas. It would be harder to estimate overall vehicles on the road however and it's probably more like 1 in 40 or 50? Totally a guess there.

I was speaking pretty freely but that number comes from driving around (a COVID hobby) and counting how many cars (driving and parked) I see before seeing a Tesla. I almost never got above 25 and on average it seemed to be about 1/20. That was for all areas of Vancouver and Burnaby (downtown and not).

It was very surprising. I'd love to know the actual numbers.

As an anecdote though it works to highlight how popular these cars have become, and how many normal people are driving them expecting to go more places with less of that mindset of the drive being part of the EV adventure.

Last edited:
I was speaking pretty freely but that number comes from driving around (a COVID hobby) and counting how many cars (driving and parked) I see before seeing a Tesla. I almost never got above 25 and on average it seemed to be about 1/20. That was for all areas of Vancouver and Burnaby (downtown and not).

It was very surprising. I'd love to know the actual numbers.

As an anecdote though it works to highlight how popular these cars have become, and how many normal people are driving them expecting to go more places with less of that mindset of the drive being part of the EV adventure.
Pretty cool. We are in the Okanagan and EV’s in general including Tesla are getting more plentiful for sure.

Cheers.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Downtown Vancouver is definitely full of Tesla. It feels like 1 in 4 cars are a Tesla. I remember 4 months ago when I took a trip out there and my car broke down. That was the last straw. Test drove a model 3 the next day. And a few days after that I was on the computer/phone with tesla tracking down an available one in Vancouver. I remember watching out the window from the high rise hotel while doing this and just counting the tesla, which was a lot. Being from Lethbridge Alberta area, it’s quite a contrast.

also, any one know if Edmonton is getting another super charger or perhaps some urban Superchargers ?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Downtown Vancouver is definitely full of Tesla. It feels like 1 in 4 cars are a Tesla. I remember 4 months ago when I took a trip out there and my car broke down. That was the last straw. Test drove a model 3 the next day. And a few days after that I was on the computer/phone with tesla tracking down an available one in Vancouver. I remember watching out the window from the high rise hotel while doing this and just counting the tesla, which was a lot. Being from Lethbridge Alberta area, it’s quite a contrast.

also, any one know if Edmonton is getting another super charger or perhaps some urban Superchargers ?
Good background story! Congrats.

Re: Edmonton --- No doubt they'd be on this map if folks knew about them. If you didn't know ... if a dot (blue=permit) shows up you can click on it and then click 'discuss' to get to a TMC thread).

2HUCh99.jpg

In moderate weather, every major location on the island is technically reachable with a fully charged SR+, so locals should be able to make it to/from their home chargers onto the supercharger network. Seems pretty ideal to me...?

Sorry I missed this.

You can get to all the destinations, but it's not enough for a return trip. A charger at the Tofino/Uclulet Junction or in Campbell River would allow the charge needed to get home. Right now that entire return trip has to be planned around leaving fairly directly from a longer charge session.

Tourists might like that so they can head down island after a bonus morning of additional sightseeing. I personally have the option to use my vehicle for work. I can't do that up island because I am doing too much driving trying to get full days in. The system works for tourists with some flexibility and planning, but is a barrier to wider adoption. That's why I think a few smaller chargers would be all that's needed.

It's the same in the Kootenays. As it stands you can almost get to anywhere. But if you want to explore the Kootenays or use fast charging for the home trip it's trickier. I think that's part of what's driving the big charging expansion there.

______
Edit relevant to some of the other recent posts:

From the City of Vancouver's charging bylaw announcement today (emphasis mine):

Planning for the future​

In 2020, 10% of all new vehicles purchased in BC were EVs, the highest rate of any jurisdiction in North America. We estimate that in Vancouver, between 12% and 17% of new vehicles are EVs, in part due to improved infrastructure, policy, and incentives provided by all levels of government. We are working to support the growing number of EVs by ensuring charging infrastructure is available now and in the years to come as mass adoption will continue to match the new federal mandate that 100% of vehicle sales are zero-emissions by 2035 to meet Canada’s national net-zero targets.
12-17% means 1 in 8 or better. Even if just half are Tesla that's 1 in 16! Sure there are lots of old cars on the road but it speaks to how it seems driving around here seeing them constantly. Very cool.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this.

You can get to all the destinations, but it's not enough for a return trip. A charger at the Tofino/Uclulet Junction or in Campbell River would allow the charge needed to get home. Right now that entire return trip has to be planned around leaving fairly directly from a longer charge session.

Tourists might like that so they can head down island after a bonus morning of additional sightseeing. I personally have the option to use my vehicle for work. I can't do that up island because I am doing too much driving trying to get full days in. The system works for tourists with some flexibility and planning, but is a barrier to wider adoption. That's why I think a few smaller chargers would be all that's needed.

It's the same in the Kootenays. As it stands you can almost get to anywhere. But if you want to explore the Kootenays or use fast charging for the home trip it's trickier. I think that's part of what's driving the big charging expansion there.

______
Edit relevant to some of the other recent posts:

From the City of Vancouver's charging bylaw announcement today (emphasis mine):

12-17% means 1 in 8 or better. Even if just half are Tesla that's 1 in 16! Sure there are lots of old cars on the road but it speaks to how it seems driving around here seeing them constantly. Very cool.
Definitely need a Chademo adapter.. expensive though..