Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fine with the lights coming on at a reasonable deceleration rate... similar to down-shifting an ICE perhaps. But I certainly DO NOT want to look like the 80 year old granny in a Camry riding the brakes down every hill and touching them at every shadow on the flats... :crying:

I met a 60 owner on the Mt Evans drive in Colorado last year that told me he was one of those foot on or foot off drivers when he got his MS, and also did not know about the brake lights. He was pulled over for suspicion of DUI and given a field sobriety test because of the erratic behavior of his braking... :eek:

He said that since then, he has learned to be much more careful with his use of the accelerator pedal. :cool:

Vancouver to Edmonton Superchargers April 2nd. Looking forward to visiting them all again Sunday. A couple of them still need some work.
Hope
image.jpg
Kamloops
image.jpg
Revelstoke
image.jpg
Golden
image.jpg
Canmore
image.jpg
Red Deer
image.jpg

Last edited:
How long is the Vancouver to Calgary drive, including supercharging time? Thinking I might do this run in May.

I didn't drive through Calgary (Did Canmore to Red Deer through Cochrane), but I can tell you that Vancouver to Canmore was 10.5 hours. I then charged there for 52 mins and was on my way. I was also driving in a spirited fashion, so adding an hour to that 10.5 would be wise.

I didn't drive through Calgary (Did Canmore to Red Deer through Cochrane), but I can tell you that Vancouver to Canmore was 10.5 hours. I then charged there for 52 mins and was on my way. I was also driving in a spirited fashion, so adding an hour to that 10.5 would be wise.
Calgary to canmore is a 1hr drive, maybe give 30 mins to charge... so we have 10.5+1hr drive+.5 charge+1hr ticket avoidance=13hrs (12.5 if you have enough charge left to reach Calgary without the SC stop)

seems to me that if vancouver edmonton is 16 hours, vancouver calgary should be about 12.5 which is not at all out of line with what it normally takes me in my ICE. (total time, not driving time, you gotta eat sometime!)

My 15h40min Van-Edm time is on the aggressive side. I also did not linger anywhere so I was always charging or driving. I actually had to rush back to the car a couple of times, which was great! Total charge time was 3h46min minutes at 6 stops and I would estimate that I would have stopped for 2 - 2.5 hours total in an ICE car, so I lost about an hour and a half compared to ICE. Not bad, and the extra breaks were nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Calgary to canmore is a 1hr drive, maybe give 30 mins to charge... so we have 10.5+1hr drive+.5 charge+1hr ticket avoidance=13hrs (12.5 if you have enough charge left to reach Calgary without the SC stop)

That sounds like a good estimate.

It sounds to me like you're more worried about what other drivers might think of your driving style, than whether the system makes sense and is safe. I'd rather err the other direction.
I don't personally care if the guy behind me thinks my foot is in the wrong place or doesn't like my footwork, I care if he slams in to me or not.
In a sense I am, but if you're following what looks like a two-footed driver, you become conditioned to the brake lights meaning little or nothing. When they go on FOR REAL(!), your reaction time will likely be longer than it would be otherwise. That's dangerous in my opinion!

I've never had someone rear end me because I've taken my foot of the throttle, or geared down without brake lights. There's a fine line between too much and too little - I'll be interested to judge for myself when my car arrives.

So, the car appears to be watching for 15 kW+ regen and sudden pedal movements.

That is very consistent with the Roadster regen algorithm. It turns on the brake lights upon sudden lift and whenever the regen exceeds a certain power level. This algorithm was described to me by Tesla and confirmed empirically. I haven't investigated the Model S algorithm to the same level, since it appeared to work the same way. This now confirms it.

Good job!

I met a 60 owner on the Mt Evans drive in Colorado last year that told me he was one of those foot on or foot off drivers when he got his MS, and also did not know about the brake lights. He was pulled over for suspicion of DUI and given a field sobriety test because of the erratic behavior of his braking... :eek:

He said that since then, he has learned to be much more careful with his use of the accelerator pedal. :cool:

This seems like a highly rare situation. He must have been riding down a long, gradual incline that required the regen brake to oscillate between 14 kW and 16 kW for the brake lights to flash on and off without obvious cause, and this has to happen while being followed by an overly suspicious police officer.

That is very consistent with the Roadster regen algorithm. It turns on the brake lights upon sudden lift and whenever the regen exceeds a certain power level. This algorithm was described to me by Tesla and confirmed empirically. I haven't investigated the Model S algorithm to the same level, since it appeared to work the same way. This now confirms it.
Perhaps a stupid question... wondering if the brakes are tied to regen at all? My Highlander would show regeneration when I lifted off the throttle, but the regen would climb way up if I used the brakes. The systems were connected seamlessly. Does the MS do this as well, or are the brakes strictly brakes?

No, regen is entirely tied to accelerator pedal position.
That's what I thought, but found a bit surprising. I wonder how much energy is lost in braking. It was interesting to see how much higher the regen rate would jump when the brakes were applied in the Highlander. However, in an urban environment, there isn't much kinetic energy invested in slow speeds in traffic. And on the highway, backing off is likely what happens 99% of the time - I rarely use my brakes unless someone does something stupid. So maybe the complexity of the system in the Highlander wasn't worth the savings in energy.

That's what I thought, but found a bit surprising. I wonder how much energy is lost in braking..
Much is lost, but none that could otherwise be recovered. This has been covered in many threads on here, but basically the full regen on accelerator liftoff already captures as much energy as the battery is capable of accepting at average SOC, so there's no way to recover more energy by any form of stronger regen without making regen an incredibly unreliable braking method (braking stronger or weaker depending on SOC is not a good idea)

@beeeerock
No, regen is entirely tied to accelerator pedal position.
... which is important to avoid those money grabbing photo radar traps on roads with artificially lowered speed limits.
I have to credit that virtually instant braking to having only 1 photo radar ticket in 2 years. (vs the time it takes to move your foot and press the brake pedal )

The regen on my wife's FIAT 500E is tied to how hard you press the brakes and I believe the I3 and Leaf are the same.
Since the TESLA braking is tied to how quickly and far you let off the accelerator pedal, the driving experience was quite different for me and took me a little getting used to.
Almost like going back to a standard transmission.

I did a little experimenting on a dark road last night. With the rear camera on, I tried various degrees of regen and my daughter and I watched for the red lights on the road behind.

Press the battery icon and look at the car on your screen. When your brakelights are on, you will see them light up on the car on your screen. It's much easier than needing a dark road and looking for them on the road by way of the camera.

This makes sense to me, and, I agree that this is a good idea, safety wise, since the deceleration from regen braking can be quite extreme at moderate (30-60 km/h) speeds.

Brake lights are obviously required when you're breaking to alert the person behind you. The problem is that someone behind you on a long stretch of road with no passing lanes, and many twists and turns, can be frustrated by someone who appears to be riding the brakes. That in itself can cause dangerous situations. In an ICE you can slow down dramatically without the lights coming on (let off the gas while going fast uphill for instance). That can also be considered dangerous. There are times for brake lights and times they are not needed but only create more problems. I can't drive the #3 - Hope to Princeton - without looking like I'm riding the brakes and if I was behind me, I'd be frustrated by my apparent driving, even though I am no slow poke but I don't like tickets and most parts of that drive have too low of speed limits. I'm glad they're doing some major changes to put in more passing lanes.

@beeeerock

... which is important to avoid those money grabbing photo radar traps on roads with artificially lowered speed limits.
I have to credit that virtually instant braking to having only 1 photo radar ticket in 2 years. (vs the time it takes to move your foot and press the brake pedal )
I've often wondered if this behavior doesn't reduce the reaction time component of breaking. I'm not sure how they test braking distance but possibly they time from brake application until the car is stationary. I think that if you timed from the event occurring to completely stopped the Tesla would outperform many other cars due to the fact that the car is already slowing down before the foot has hit the brake.