Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No they are not. You can demonstrate this easily yourself. You get full 60 kW regen simply by lifting the accelerator at sufficient speed...
True as long as the battery isn't at a nearly full state of charge or a very low state of charge.

Just wanted to clarify in case someone tried what you describe and didn't get full regen because of their SOC, and then came back and posted saying you were wrong

Press the battery icon and look at the car on your screen. When your brakelights are on, you will see them light up on the car on your screen. It's much easier than needing a dark road and looking for them on the road by way of the camera.

Thanks for the "Press the battery icon and look at the car on your screen;" it worked perfectly.

I did a quick test on a morning errand today. With my P85D and the latest 6.2 (2.4.153) firmware, I found that the quick release of accelerator pedal pressure triggered the brake lights as described above, but there was not a fixed 15 kW threshold. Instead, I found the threshold to be approximately where the kW's equaled the speed in MPH. That makes more sense to me because as I stated above Force = Power/Speed, and a threshold proportional to speed means a fixed force threshold.

True as long as the battery isn't at a nearly full state of charge or a very low state of charge.
I understand the nearly full state, but very low? that seems counter intuitive, and it's the first time I've heard that mentioned.
The only other condition I've heard of to limit regen is a cold battery pack (and honestly I think they should in that case redirect the 60kW to a pack heater instead of charging and still let you get the regen)

I am unsure if this has been asked before, but I don't have time to scroll through 83 pages. Can any of you tell me why Tesla has yet to put a supercharger and/or store in Calgary? Is there some type of strategic reasoning for this? Don't spend $ where SOME people are hostile to environmental causes (oil and gas workers)?

I am unsure if this has been asked before, but I don't have time to scroll through 83 pages. Can any of you tell me why Tesla has yet to put a supercharger and/or store in Calgary? Is there some type of strategic reasoning for this? Don't spend $ where SOME people are hostile to environmental causes (oil and gas workers)?

Coming soon...

Find Us | Tesla Motors

Note that Vancouver doesn't have a supercharger either, although they obviously have the store. Seems like they're locating the superchargers to allow travel between larger centres, with the expectation that you can charge at home or at your destination - either end.

The service center has been coming soon for a while. It is simply a matter of economics and staffing. Up until recently there were not enough cars in Calgary (or even Alberta) to make it feasible. Given that currently they are paying rangers to go to homes and occasionally to ship cars to Vancouver (as well as renting replacement cars) there is presumably a point where it is more economic to implement the service center. I think with the recent ramp up of P85D and 85D cars (really seem to have kick started the model S in Calgary) they are probably already looking into this; however, I imagine finding the right resources is tricky. I think they are also trying to staff up Vancouver though if they opened Calgary that would take a lot of the load off.
Superchargers are a different situation. Until relatively late last year there were no Superchargers. The priority for Superchargers is to place the enroute rather than in destinations. For people who live in a larger city like Calgary we have our own chargers. For people travelling to Calgary there are a few destination chargers at hotels etc. These are obviously slower than a supercharger but fast enough to charge a car while a person is parked at a destination. That being said, Calgary will supposedly get a supercharger this year (as will Vancouver) and Edmonton next year. It's possible that the Calgary supercharger will be co-located with the service center.

The service center has been coming soon for a while. It is simply a matter of economics and staffing. Up until recently there were not enough cars in Calgary (or even Alberta) to make it feasible. Given that currently they are paying rangers to go to homes and occasionally to ship cars to Vancouver (as well as renting replacement cars) there is presumably a point where it is more economic to implement the service center. I think with the recent ramp up of P85D and 85D cars (really seem to have kick started the model S in Calgary) they are probably already looking into this; however, I imagine finding the right resources is tricky. I think they are also trying to staff up Vancouver though if they opened Calgary that would take a lot of the load off.
Superchargers are a different situation. Until relatively late last year there were no Superchargers. The priority for Superchargers is to place the enroute rather than in destinations. For people who live in a larger city like Calgary we have our own chargers. For people travelling to Calgary there are a few destination chargers at hotels etc. These are obviously slower than a supercharger but fast enough to charge a car while a person is parked at a destination. That being said, Calgary will supposedly get a supercharger this year (as will Vancouver) and Edmonton next year. It's possible that the Calgary supercharger will be co-located with the service center.
I wonder if the City of Calgary has any files on Tesla requesting a Building Permit for a Supercharger? Could be a way of finding out the location earlier? Anyone have a friend in the Planning Dept? :)

I also wonder if they will utilize loaner Teslas or if they will continue with rental vehicles? BMW/mini recently outsourced their fleet of loaner cars to Enterprise and I have to say although it isn't quite as convenient as before it is much improved as the wait times for service appointments with loaners went down dramatically. They charge a reasonable one-time fee of $30 (unlimited days/milage) which I am also happy to pay for the convenience of not having to be shuttled to work.

I wonder if the City of Calgary has any files on Tesla requesting a Building Permit for a Supercharger? Could be a way of finding out the location earlier? Anyone have a friend in the Planning Dept? :)

I also wonder if they will utilize loaner Teslas or if they will continue with rental vehicles? BMW/mini recently outsourced their fleet of loaner cars to Enterprise and I have to say although it isn't quite as convenient as before it is much improved as the wait times for service appointments with loaners went down dramatically. They charge a reasonable one-time fee of $30 (unlimited days/milage) which I am also happy to pay for the convenience of not having to be shuttled to work.
Don't get me started on enterprise. Tesla actually escalated complaints based on my last rental experience. They don't really do luxury cars, but can get them from national if you insist. "Why do you need a luxury car" they asked. Also some of the dirtiest cars I've ever seen. Maybe that is just for tesla customers, or "Telsa" as the manager kept calling them. Oops, I've started.

Don't get me started on enterprise. Tesla actually escalated complaints based on my last rental experience. They don't really do luxury cars, but can get them from national if you insist. "Why do you need a luxury car" they asked. Also some of the dirtiest cars I've ever seen. Maybe that is just for tesla customers, or "Telsa" as the manager kept calling them. Oops, I've started.

Well... a Telsa isn't really a luxury car... so a Camry should do :)

I found them to be decent but to be fair it's only been twice. Now that I have a Tesla - my perception of vehicle ownership and service centres has completely changed. Somehow I wish I could explain to the rest of the world how great this is - without sounding like #1 Tesla fanboy!

I gave up on Enterprise for company use a few years ago. They offered a better deal than Budget had been giving so we gave them a try. No matter what we reserved, something else would show up. Final straw was when the SUV with winters we reserved showed up at our door as a Dodge Caravan with all-seasons... for a trip over the Rogers Pass in January. I sent it back and drove my own car so that I might return alive. They weren't overly clean either as I recall...

Interesting you say, I had my BMW at the dealership (crowfoot BMW) and They offered me a loaner for the day. Enterprise nearby has several BMW in the parking lots for customer from BMW. So next time, if it happens, I will use Enterprise and get at least a BMW. My last rental I needed for my TESLA, they gave me a Equinox, it was nasty. Sure made me appreciate my TESLA once it got back.

I agree, with 3s-a-charm, the service is top the best in the industry.

I made the return drive from Edmonton to Vancouver last weekend. I decided to leave Saturday evening and slept in my car at the Golden Supercharger for about 6 hours. The conditions deteriorated so I wanted to wait until morning to go over Roger's pass. Total time was 22h 40min, but that includes an extra five hours in Golden after I was fully charged, and an extra 20 mins chatting with another owner at the Kamloops Supercharger, so about 17h 20min for driving and charging time. This compares to 15h 40min from Vancouver to Edmonton, driving quickly in perfect conditions, so I think 16-17.5 hours is a fair estimate going forward. I'll probably spend a night in Revelstoke next time.

I ran into one slow Supercharger in Hope. I was only getting 140km/hr charge rate. It was the same one that I used 10 days earlier with success. I moved to another and got the usual 500km+ rate. Apparently Hope has been having a few issues, so be sure to check your charge rate before heading to Blue Moose Coffee House.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I made the return drive from Edmonton to Vancouver last weekend. I decided to leave Saturday evening and slept in my car at the Golden Supercharger for about 6 hours. The conditions deteriorated so I wanted to wait until morning to go over Roger's pass. Total time was 22h 40min, but that includes an extra five hours in Golden after I was fully charged, and an extra 20 mins chatting with another owner at the Kamloops Supercharger, so about 17h 20min for driving and charging time. This compares to 15h 40min from Vancouver to Edmonton, driving quickly in perfect conditions, so I think 16-17.5 hours is a fair estimate going forward. I'll probably spend a night in Revelstoke next time.

I ran into one slow Supercharger in Hope. I was only getting 140km/hr charge rate. It was the same one that I used 10 days earlier with success. I moved to another and got the usual 500km+ rate. Apparently Hope has been having a few issues, so be sure to check your charge rate before heading to Blue Moose Coffee House.

View attachment 78318View attachment 78320View attachment 78319View attachment 78321
Nice! Did you have your winters off?

Interesting you say, I had my BMW at the dealership (crowfoot BMW) and They offered me a loaner for the day. Enterprise nearby has several BMW in the parking lots for customer from BMW. So next time, if it happens, I will use Enterprise and get at least a BMW. My last rental I needed for my TESLA, they gave me a Equinox, it was nasty. Sure made me appreciate my TESLA once it got back.

I agree, with 3s-a-charm, the service is top the best in the industry.
Enterprise reserves those cars for BMW service customers however if you ask them nicely and you have a short rental, they will sometimes let them go if they have enough. I got a Mini Countryman when I needed a loaner from Tesla. Better than a Chevy!

Enterprise reserves those cars for BMW service customers however if you ask them nicely and you have a short rental, they will sometimes let them go if they have enough. I got a Mini Countryman when I needed a loaner from Tesla. Better than a Chevy!

Was this from the Vancouver service centre?

Yikes. The last time I had service done I got a P85 loaner. Better than a Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(one exclamation mark = factor of 2 improvement. I may be exaggerating slightly.)