Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Yes I have one available. PM me.

If you get a CHADEMO adapter you can use the CHADEMO in Vernon. It is also free.

We also have a 10K juice box that you are welcome to use. We are behind Walmart in a townhouse. In Vernon. We are on plugshare. Text me before you come and I'll leave the plug outside. The juice box is actually in the garage.

• Love
Reactions: Paul Carter
I

If you get a CHADEMO adapter you can use the CHADEMO in Vernon. It is also free.

We also have a 10K juice box that you are welcome to use. We are behind Walmart in a townhouse. In Vernon. We are on plugshare. Text me before you come and I'll leave the plug outside. The juice box is actually in the garage.

I'm really touched by this community for all your help. Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but how many amps does your charger charge at? I may actually take you up on your offer because I want to stop by Village Green Centre. This newbie needs all the help I can get to avoid range anxiety.

Reactions: Paul Carter
I'm really touched by this community for all your help. Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but how many amps does your charger charge at? I may actually take you up on your offer because I want to stop by Village Green Centre. This newbie needs all the help I can get to avoid range anxiety.

It is a 40 amp unit so probably a little slower than you are used to but overkill for our leaf and Smart ED. Our textable number is on plug share. Give me the heads up so I can leave the j1772 connecter end outside. We are two or three blocks from the village green mall. Lots of restaurants etc.

Cheers.

It is a 40 amp unit so probably a little slower than you are used to but overkill for our leaf and Smart ED. Our textable number is on plug share. Give me the heads up so I can leave the j1772 connecter end outside. We are two or three blocks from the village green mall. Lots of restaurants etc.

Cheers.

Will do. Let me see if I indeed make a stop in Vernon. Thank you!

Does anyone know if there is any plan for another supercharging station in the Fraser valley/lower mainland.

Looking at the map, a perfect spot would be somewhere off Hwy 1 in Langley or Abbotsford. The new construction / overpass coming to 216 and Hwy 1 would be almost exactly half way between the Squamish and hope supercharger.

Does anyone know if there is any plan for another supercharging station in the Fraser valley/lower mainland.

Looking at the map, a perfect spot would be somewhere off Hwy 1 in Langley or Abbotsford. The new construction / overpass coming to 216 and Hwy 1 would be almost exactly half way between the Squamish and hope supercharger.

No lineups at Hope, Merritt or Kelowna any time I've been there - max two cars.

Wow, but some of the superchargers only have 4 stalls. I feel more confident now as I'm leaving this Thursday.
Don't forget, touching a supercharger on the map in your car will tell you how many are in use and the total number installed. Most have more than 4... Kamloops has 4... Hope has 6, Merritt 8... can't recall the numbers heading east but want to say more than 4 at each.

The only catch with Kamloops is, if you start charging as the only car there, a second car will reach the 50% threshold for fines to be applied if you don't get back promptly! I actually had my phone tell me I was going to incur fines as I stood there talking to the other guy who'd just plugged in... probably should have unplugged before talking!! A bit of an eye-roll moment for sure...

I've looked though the pages of this topic but I'm going to ask the question because I'm still not sure,

For the people that have done Vancouver (Lower Mainland) to Kelowna, now with both Hope and Meritt superchargers, do you need to stop at both Superchargers to make it? Do you think a Model 3 60 would need to stop at both? For how long at each roughly?

Thanks!

I've looked though the pages of this topic but I'm going to ask the question because I'm still not sure,

For the people that have done Vancouver (Lower Mainland) to Kelowna, now with both Hope and Meritt superchargers, do you need to stop at both Superchargers to make it? Do you think a Model 3 60 would need to stop at both? For how long at each roughly?

Thanks!
Without knowing the exact specs on the Model 3, it's just a guess. But if 60 kWh is what it turns out to have, and is lighter (more energy-efficient) than a Model S, I'd say it will likely be possible to do the trip without a stop in Merritt.

However, assuming the charge rate tapers like in the S, it might be more time-effective to charge in Hope only long enough to make it safely to Merritt, then do the same in Merritt to get to Kelowna. When I've been time-constrained to get home to Kamloops, I've charged the bottom of the battery high enough to get to Merritt at a higher kW charge rate, then done the same in Merritt. It saves probably between 10 and 20 minutes on the trip.

Don't forget, touching a supercharger on the map in your car will tell you how many are in use and the total number installed. Most have more than 4... Kamloops has 4... Hope has 6, Merritt 8... can't recall the numbers heading east but want to say more than 4 at each.

The only catch with Kamloops is, if you start charging as the only car there, a second car will reach the 50% threshold for fines to be applied if you don't get back promptly! I actually had my phone tell me I was going to incur fines as I stood there talking to the other guy who'd just plugged in... probably should have unplugged before talking!! A bit of an eye-roll moment for sure...

Sorry you lost me. What would make me incur a fine?

Idle fees at a "busy" Supercharger. 2/4 stalls charging means it is obviously in demand (even if no one has charged there in the previous 4 days) and since lots of people in California seem to think it's cool to leave their car at the Supercharger for a few hours while they go shopping etc. we all get to be painted with the same brush i.e. once your car is finished charging, if the site is deemed to be busy you'll get a notice to move your vehicle or be assessed by-the-minute fees for leaving it there after charging is complete. I was just at the Canmore charger this weekend, left it charging while I went to have breakfast and the car finished charging just as breakfast arrived. Luckily no one else came along and started charging while I ate or it might have been an expensive charge. It was already an expensive breakfast.

• Informative
Reactions: rainforest
I've never seen anyone else at the Merritt supercharger.
I occasionally see 1 other vehicle at Hope.
More recently I have seen 2+ vehicles at Kamloops.
I usually don't see anyone else at Kelowna, but 2 or 3 vehicles aren't unusual.
I haven't been to Revelstoke this year. In the past it was usually just myself or 1 other vehicle.
Squamish can be fully occupied by Vancouverites returning from skiing at Whistler.

Do not plan on making it from Hope to Kelowna in a 60 in the winter without a stop at Merritt; it can be a bit iffy in an 85 in the worst conditions. 50+ kWh Hope to Kelowna in the best conditions in a 2013 RWD S85.

Travelling from Vancouver to Kelowna in a 60, I'd plan on charging in both Hope and Merritt. The stops don't need to be drawn out and you avoid squirming in your seat!

See Vancouver to Alberta Trip Planning and an earlier post up page in that thread.

A couple of years ago, Tesla was putting in 6 charge heads in the busy locations in BC and 4 in other places. It looks to me that the default minumum is now 8 heads. Kamloops really should have 8 or more and Squamish should be doubled. And that's before the arrival of the 3s.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone else at the Merritt supercharger.
I occasionally see 1 other vehicle at Hope.
More recently I have seen 2+ vehicles at Kamloops.
I usually don't see anyone else at Kelowna, but 2 or 3 vehicles aren't unusual.
I haven't been to Revelstoke this year. In the past it was usually just myself or 1 other vehicle.
Squamish can be fully occupied by Vancouverites returning from skiing at Whistler.

Do not plan on making it from Hope to Kelowna in a 60 in the winter without a stop at Merritt; it can be a bit iffy in an 85 in the worst conditions. 50+ kWh Hope to Kelowna in the best conditions in a 2013 RWD S85.

Travelling from Vancouver to Kelowna in a 60, I'd plan on charging in both Hope and Merritt. The stops don't need to be drawn out and you avoid squirming in your seat!

See Vancouver to Alberta Trip Planning and an earlier post up page in that thread.

A couple of years ago, Tesla was putting in 6 charge heads in the busy locations in BC and 4 in other places. It looks to me that the default minumum is now 8 heads. Kamloops really should have 8 or more and Squamish should be doubled. And that's before the arrival of the 3s.

Very informative! In fact, I plan on stopping at every supercharger because I'm nervous about range, especially with 4 people and luggage. Hope I don't get into trouble. First road trip in my new car.

I would have loved a bigger battery, but Tesla's are expensive and the 75 upgrade is not very useable jumping from supercharger to supercharger due to the slow charge at the end (at least that's what I've read). And to jump to the 100D is something like $35k or 40k. Sigh...

I only plan on one road trip per year any way, and my daily commute to work is literally 13km (round trip). Of course there are additional commutes to children's activities etc, but they are minimal. Having said this, I barely see any 75Ds, let alone 60Ds.

a few data points... last Sept I drove my MS 70D from Vancouver to Kelowna (and back, same day), this was before the Merritt Supercharger existed. Left home, range mode on 100% = 388 rated km.

Vancouver to Hope SC, 158 km actual distance, used 172 rated km range, so ~44% or ~31kWh used.
Stopped for breakfast (Rolly's) in Hope, left Hope just a few rated kms under 100%.
257 actual km to Kelowna (not quite to the Supercharger there as we stopped first at some wineries), used 332 rated km to drive that distance, so used about 85% or about 60kWh. Outside temp was maybe ~18C and clear. In winter I would definitely expect much higher consumption and therefore warrant a stop in Merritt. Of course the downhill route back home is easier on consumption.

No other Teslas encountered at either Kelowna or Hope SC (both directions) on that trip. I'm guessing likely no problems with SC lineups from here to Calgary. The only lineup I've ever seen is at Fremont SC during a road trip to CA last year, I was told lots of locals charging there!

ps @rainforest if someone hasn't already suggested it, check out evtripplanner.com before heading out on your trip to get a feel for your energy consumption, driving and charging times for your route. Have a great trip!