Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1702.JPG
Someone posted to the Facebook Model 3 group a picture of a supercharger under construction (and apparently mostly complete) at the Woodgrove Centre in Nanaimo BC
@Ugliest1 may be able to confirm the near completion of the Nanaimo super charger :)

Great news. Much needed.
Ok, confirmed! Right beside Chapters/Starbucks in Woodgrove Centre. 8 stalls, 4 marked 30-minute general parking and 3 saying charging only. Looks like one sign missing but maybe don't need it.

Just what's in the picture. Is that blue/grey box in the distance the transformer?
The big dark gray box is the distribution center, the short light gray box is a buck/boost transformer, but the utility transformer is not shown unless it's in the shadows between the distribution center and the trees in the background. The buck/boost transformer is needed at some sites in Canada because the utility could not provide the 480VAC 3-phase service required by the Superchargers, so they buck the voltage down from the standard 600VAC to 480. This has been shown in some detail in earlier Canada Supercharger threads.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
The big dark gray box is the distribution center, the short light gray box is a buck/boost transformer, but the utility transformer is not shown unless it's in the shadows between the distribution center and the trees in the background. The buck/boost transformer is needed at some sites in Canada because the utility could not provide the 480VAC 3-phase service required by the Superchargers, so they buck the voltage down from the standard 600VAC to 480. This has been shown in some detail in earlier Canada Supercharger threads.
In Canada we use the term "Autotransformer" rather than buck/boost transformer. Canadian utilities provide 600 Volt 3 phase power from the utility transformer. An Autotransformer is an inexpensive and electrically efficient way to bring the voltage down to the 480 volt requirement of the equipment, and it's much smaller in size than a similar dry type isolation transformer.

I'm hauling the Airstream so we camped at Flathead Lake, West Glacier, and St. Mary. That's where we are coming from today.
@ohmman please post your experience with (I assume) unhooking your trailer at each stop. How much extra time does it take, and does it get tired?

Not that I'm concerned... just curious. I occasionally have our bikes on the rear bikerack on trips, and the liftgate (S) won't useably open (hits the bikes). *THAT* gets real tired real quick having to remove the bikes to access our suitcases etc, and that's only once per day at the evening stop. Luckily we can nearly always charge with the bikes on, although it's sometimes tricky.