Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a few data points... last Sept I drove my MS 70D from Vancouver to Kelowna (and back, same day), this was before the Merritt Supercharger existed. Left home, range mode on 100% = 388 rated km.

Vancouver to Hope SC, 158 km actual distance, used 172 rated km range, so ~44% or ~31kWh used.
Stopped for breakfast (Rolly's) in Hope, left Hope just a few rated kms under 100%.
257 actual km to Kelowna (not quite to the Supercharger there as we stopped first at some wineries), used 332 rated km to drive that distance, so used about 85% or about 60kWh. Outside temp was maybe ~18C and clear. In winter I would definitely expect much higher consumption and therefore warrant a stop in Merritt. Of course the downhill route back home is easier on consumption.

No other Teslas encountered at either Kelowna or Hope SC (both directions) on that trip. I'm guessing likely no problems with SC lineups from here to Calgary. The only lineup I've ever seen is at Fremont SC during a road trip to CA last year, I was told lots of locals charging there!

ps @rainforest if someone hasn't already suggested it, check out evtripplanner.com before heading out on your trip to get a feel for your energy consumption, driving and charging times for your route. Have a great trip!

I did use EVtripplanner and it always shows that I can get to each supercharger with no issues whatsoever. One thing I noticed, though, is that the "payload" doesn't really affect energy used much. Whether I set it to 200kg or 300kg, it doesn't make a noticeable difference. A/C does have an effect, especially when it is hot outside, but there isn't much I can do about that unless I want my family to bake in a sauna with the AC off.

It's my very first driving trip in a low range Tesla, so I'm sure it will come more naturally to me as I get some kilometres under my belt.

I did use EVtripplanner and it always shows that I can get to each supercharger with no issues whatsoever. One thing I noticed, though, is that the "payload" doesn't really affect energy used much. Whether I set it to 200kg or 300kg, it doesn't make a noticeable difference. A/C does have an effect, especially when it is hot outside, but there isn't much I can do about that unless I want my family to bake in a sauna with the AC off.

It's my very first driving trip in a low range Tesla, so I'm sure it will come more naturally to me as I get some kilometres under my belt.
Additional weight really only makes a noticeable difference in stop and go driving. On trips it's negligible. However, don't forget to adjust tire pressure upwards to compensate for the extra weight.

The first trip is always an adventure because it's something new. Now I just get in the car and go. The only planning I do is on a multi-day trip, I reserve the destination chargers for overnight stops.

The first trip is always an adventure because it's something new. Now I just get in the car and go. The only planning I do is on a multi-day trip, I reserve the destination chargers for overnight stops.

On "supercharged" routes this is the same situation for us. Now we do a normal charge at home overnight and just drive. Before superchargers a trip to Vancouver involved a full range charge before leaving and a 3 hour stop in Hope at a 16kW L2 charger. Now it just involves figuring out where to charge in Vancouver (typically 6 to 12 hours on those slow 6kW chargers) so that we can get around Vancouver and back out to the Hope Supercharger.

Yah .... we really need a SC on Vancouver so that folks can get here, drive around a bit, and then head back out to Hope, Squamish or Burlington. The L2 chargers at the malls in Vancouver are often stacked with out of towners. The hotels here do not like allowing their destination chargers to anyone other than their customers.

It's interesting that you find that. I usually find that I use (a bit) more power on the westbound leg than on the eastbound leg. It seems counterintuitive until you realize that you often have a tailwind heading east out of Hope and a headwind heading west into Hope.
I didn't know there's typically a big headwind difference there, I'll take your word for it. I don't drive that route frequently, and have only taken it once (so far) in my S

anyhow on that one trip, my westbound trip from Kelowna to Hope seemed to use about 6-7% less energy than the uphill eastbound direction. I wasn't driving very aggressively either direction, and perhaps taking it easy while watching those stretches of green re-gen on the energy meter down those long hills westbound made the difference.

Like jerry33 suggested, make sure your tire pressure is properly adjusted. I adjust my tire pressure on both my S and X from 45 to 46 psi in operating temps. The tire shops like Kaltire normally put in 32-34 psi which is okay for other vehicles but not Tesla.

Depending on the climate, cold tire pressures can range from 39 to 42 psi and go to 46 psi when travelling at highway speeds. I find that I've been letting a couple pounds of pressure out of my tires lately as the temps have shot up into the mid 30's and my pressure has gone up to 48 psi. A simple foot or hand pump can put back in 1 psi with 3 or 4 pumps of air.

After driving for about 15 mins at highway speeds on a warm day like today (28C where I am), my cold tire pressures were 42 psi and went up to 46 psi when warmed up. If you're at 45 psi cold, you'll probably be at 48 or 49 psi when warmed up...I'd let a couple of psi out.

I believe max psi on stock Michelins or Pirellis are 50 or 52 psi (check the sidewall on the tire to see the max psi). A good start is about 42 or 43 psi on cold tires in the summer. The higher the pressure the less rolling resistance and therefore better range, but you risk damaging a tire at too high of a pressure and also you get rougher ride.

I have an S And a 3 on the way. I'd like to see hwy 16 lite up, from Rupert to Spence's Bridge. Spence's has a Chademo, and hope is close.

Be nice to Cut the drive/charge time from 4 days and 9 hours down to 18-20 hours. Like I use to do in my Ice or close to that at least.

It would open up to a lot more notheren residents to switching to a EV. Nice to see Nanimo coming on line. It was close call making the ferry north. If there was one other EV on the ferry. Only one would of made it.

13 tesla super chargers stops needed. We don't need 6 stations at each, just one or two (At the moment).

My cold tire pressure is set to 45psi, even though the door jam says 42. Is that too high?
It's probably still in the acceptable range for the tire, but I'd probably drop 2 or 3 psi to bring it closer to the recommended cold pressure.

Important: those cold tire pressures really do mean 'cold'. As in, first thing in the morning before the sun has hit the tires and started to heat them up. That pressure will be fine during the heat of the day, so don't take air out of a hot tire to bring the pressure down to the cold value. That will result in under-inflated tires the next morning! If you check and adjust your pressures every couple of weeks, seasonal temperature changes will result in you either adding or bleeding a little air as the temperatures drop or rise through the year. That way you'll remain within the acceptable cold to hot range.

I have an S And a 3 on the way. I'd like to see hwy 16 lite up, from Rupert to Spence's Bridge. Spence's has a Chademo, and hope is close.

Be nice to Cut the drive/charge time from 4 days and 9 hours down to 18-20 hours. Like I use to do in my Ice or close to that at least.

It would open up to a lot more notheren residents to switching to a EV. Nice to see Nanimo coming on line. It was close call making the ferry north. If there was one other EV on the ferry. Only one would of made it.

13 tesla super chargers stops needed. We don't need 6 stations at each, just one or two (At the moment).

Wow, I didn't know there was an S in Rupert! You're definitely in the charge station desert up there... I feel your pain. Even a few CHAdeMO stations on 16, then down the 97, would make life substantially more pleasant for you.

Kudos for accepting the challenge anyway!

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
No lineups so far at hope, Merritt, or Kamloops. In fact, all stalls were empty.

Can anyone tell me their energy usage from Kelowna to Revelstoke in the summer in a Model X? EVtripplanner tells me about 220km assuming 260kg payload and 35 degree weather. Not sure how accurate this is.