Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing the news article today about how busy the Merritt site is, it would be really nice to get that new v3 charger up and going. When I drove back from Vancouver to south of Calgary where I live, end of March 2021, there was only 1 other Tesla there charging. Actually there was either 1 or 0 other Tesla’s charging at each station on the way back. Guess I just lucked out!
That was winter. And probably a week day.

In 2016, I drove from Chicago to Seattle only seeing one other Tesla... and I saw him at superchargers in 3 different states! More recently I drove from eastern WA to Green Bay, WI a couple months ago without seeing another Tesla, but it was mid-week and I took I-94 through MT and ND so I wasn't totally surprised. A lot of it just depends on timing.

Reactions: navguy12
That was winter. And probably a week day.

In 2016, I drove from Chicago to Seattle only seeing one other Tesla... and I saw him at superchargers in 3 different states! More recently I drove from eastern WA to Green Bay, WI a couple months ago without seeing another Tesla, but it was mid-week and I took I-94 through MT and ND so I wasn't totally surprised. A lot of it just depends on timing.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. This is the article I was referencing

I have been driving my S since 2013 no supercharger in lower mainland. Always seen people waiting for charging. First Supercharger in Squamish B.C was also busy. Now with 3 It is all line up Richmond Surrey. Even in N.Van. Before it was a meeting and get ideas and exchange place at charging stations. Now you are scare to talk to any one. I don't know is covid19 or you feel old geek. It was old good time .Even Tesla used to arranged get together . .Now every 5thor 6th car is model 3. It is good people are talking about Tesla.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. This is the article I was referencing

I quoted the post I was responding to. This in particular:

"When I drove back from Vancouver to south of Calgary where I live, end of March 2021, there was only 1 other Tesla there charging. Actually there was either 1 or 0 other Tesla’s charging at each station on the way back. Guess I just lucked out!"

Snapshot as July 2 2021, will post again when page is updated.

TitlePlanned Opening DateComments
Calgary, AB (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Edson, AB (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Jasper, AB (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Lloydminster, AB (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Vegreville, AB (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Burnaby, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021
Cache Creek, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
Castlegar, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Cranbrook, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021
Creston, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021
Fernie, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021
Hope, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
Invermere, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021
Merritt, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
Osoyoos, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Prince George, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Quesnel, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
Salmon Arm, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
South Surrey, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021
Surrey, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Vernon, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Williams Lake, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
North Battleford, SK (coming soon)Target opening in Q4 2021
Saskatoon, SK (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Was updated, mid Q1 to be Q3 instead of Q4.

Cache Creek, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
Williams Lake, BC (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Under construction already
Saskatoon, SK (coming soon)Target opening in Q3 2021Was updated, mid Q1 to be Q3 instead of Q4.
There is also the 8 stall site at Golden that has been under construction for some months. It doesn't appear on the Tesla map as "Coming Soon". Perhaps it will replace, rather than add to, the existing 4 stall site.

Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP

Hope is now open. Golden is also open but missing from your list.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The continuing expansion of the Supercharger network in Canada is much appreciated and sorely needed. But from my perspective there is a glaring omission; nothing north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. There are a number of random J1772 chargers which I know from experience cannot be depended upon to be a) operational or b) available. There are a couple of Tesla destination chargers at distilleries, which not being a whiskey drinker don’t help me (and obviously drinking shots and driving is dumb). Campbell River would be a good location for a new Supercharger, particularly for those of us who tow and are going to Port McNeil/Port Hardy. A Model 3 LR can make it from Nanaimo to that area but an SR cannot.

But from my perspective there is a glaring omission; nothing north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.
If you're on Vancouver Island, odds are fairly good that you're in no particular rush to get anywhere, so L2 or a Chademo adapter is enough imo. It's my ongoing opinion that Tesla needs to deploy more of those 'two urban chargers on a pallet' to rural areas, so maybe that would be a good fit in Courtenay.

we have superchargers almost every 150km. apart. Tesla was made for rich people who could put 100k+ cash or finance from the bank. Cars were few and charging. St.were also few. I took a trip to Calgary in 2013 with my S . I only could charge with chargepoint st. Made it there in 2 days.It was trip with no rush. Now we have Superchargers all over and we have no time to enjoy the trip. With the introduction of Model 3 we have line up all superchargers almost all places. Also BC Hdro start charging fee which is higher than Tesla I think .So all Tesla's are coming to Superchargers.

The continuing expansion of the Supercharger network in Canada is much appreciated and sorely needed. But from my perspective there is a glaring omission; nothing north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. There are a number of random J1772 chargers which I know from experience cannot be depended upon to be a) operational or b) available. There are a couple of Tesla destination chargers at distilleries, which not being a whiskey drinker don’t help me (and obviously drinking shots and driving is dumb). Campbell River would be a good location for a new Supercharger, particularly for those of us who tow and are going to Port McNeil/Port Hardy. A Model 3 LR can make it from Nanaimo to that area but an SR cannot.
I make that drive every 10 years or so, but I must say there aren't many people that drive that far up island, especially north of Campbell River. I'd like to see superchargers in CR and Port Hardy (or Port McNeill), but I can definitely understand why they haven't been prioritised. I think Tofino or Ucluelet (near the highway junction) will likely be the next Vancouver Island supercharger. They could do Port Alberni too, but it probably isn't necessary.

If you make the trip, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reliability of the L2 chargers, though the availability may be more limited now with more Teslas on the road. I made the trip 2-3 summers ago and didn't see any other EVs along the way. I charged at the campground/RV park in Sayward, public L2 in Woss, and the Chamber of Commerce in Port Hardy. They were all fairly fast for L2, like 50mph for a Model S. I think I had to pay a $5 or $10 flat fee at the campground but the other two were FREE.

Last edited:
If you're on Vancouver Island, odds are fairly good that you're in no particular rush to get anywhere, so L2 or a Chademo adapter is enough imo. It's my ongoing opinion that Tesla needs to deploy more of those 'two urban chargers on a pallet' to rural areas, so maybe that would be a good fit in Courtenay.

That seems to be morphing into four V3 Superchargers pedestals in a single cabinet. Great option for some of the lesser-visited places.

Reactions: bruce4000

Oh come on. Lots of people have places to be on the island including the locals who travel the island for work, or tourists with bookings at a hotel or lodge.

I make that drive every 10 years or so, but I must say there aren't many people that drive that far up island, especially north of Campbell River. I'd like to see superchargers in CR and Port Hardy (or Port McNeill), but I can definitely understand why they haven't been prioritised. I think Tofino or Ucluelet (near the highway junction) will likely be the next Vancouver Island supercharger. They could do Port Alberni too, but it probably isn't necessary.

If you make the trip, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reliability of the L2 chargers, though the availability may be more limited now with more Teslas on the road. I made the trip 2-3 summers ago and didn't see any other EVs along the way. I charged at the campground/RV park in Sayward, public L2 in Woss, and the Chamber of Commerce in Port Hardy. They were all fairly fast for L2, like 50mph for a Model S. I think I had to pay a $5 or $10 flat fee at the campground but the other two were FREE.
(all emphasis mine)

Thinking about this post and the one above, I think the reason that these things may be observable is precisely because of the lack of chargers. More island superchargers (including a V3 in Victoria) would really open up the island and suddenly people would come. The Nanaimo charger sat near capacity at busy times all weekend.

we have superchargers almost every 150km. apart. Tesla was made for rich people who could put 100k+ cash or finance from the bank. Cars were few and charging. St.were also few. I took a trip to Calgary in 2013 with my S . I only could charge with chargepoint st. Made it there in 2 days.It was trip with no rush. Now we have Superchargers all over and we have no time to enjoy the trip. With the introduction of Model 3 we have line up all superchargers almost all places. Also BC Hdro start charging fee which is higher than Tesla I think .So all Tesla's are coming to Superchargers.

Reading this it sounds like you want electric vehicle driving back to yourself (and other rich people)? The good news is that it is now for everyone and that's a good thing. People get around in different ways. Some are trying to get to a destination while some are enjoying the ride. There's no harm in either.

Reactions: navguy12