Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The statistics bear out that most people don't need a charging network. Nor do we need gas stations on the highway; we could take a bus or airplane for long trips. However, we ALL need the charging network, even if we never use it. In America, cars are a tangible expression of our freedom. If we choose, we can go anywhere we want, when we want, without any checkpoints ("Papers, please?"). Having a vehicle enables that freedom, even if we do not exercise it on a regular basis. That's the culture. If you remove that from the equation most Americans will not buy a $50k grocery-getter. And if Tesla can't sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year to people who would otherwise not by an EV what would happen? The prices would have to go up, if they even made the vehicles at all. The SC network is what enables the $35k M3 (or $39k, or whatever) to be a reality. Without the SC network, if they only make 10k Model 3 units per year, would you be willing to spend $200k for one? The SC network is VITAL for Tesla's continued success in gaining market share, and we all want to see more of these on the road.

I am not a Tesla Fanboy. I'm a car guy. I bought my M3 because it is a great car, not to save the planet. I'm a new owner and never been to a supercharger yet, but I wouldn't have bought one without the SC network.
I’m admittedly somewhat of a fan boy but I bought my car for the exact reasons you did. I’ve had my 3 for a little less than 2 months and I’m still excited to drive it. Most of the miles I’ve driven have been to just going for a ride with no destination.

Reactions: Sherlo
That's better. :)

I wonder if anyone is going to try take their Model 3 to a US Mile event (Texas Mile event is twice/year, Colorado has one periodically as does Arkansas), where they rent an airport strip for a couple days and run a full mile with another huge chunk of distance to wind down from (record speed that I know of is a Ford GT that someone got up to 300.4mph(!), and used a chute to slow down). I don't think the event even bothers to report times, just trap speeds. That's a place we'd be able to get a better idea about what the HP/torque curve is like past 100mph. I assume dyno's are generally not built to run at higher speeds, as they were built assuming vehicles that shift gears?

P.S. BTW there's a guy in Austin that holds the BEV record for the 1 mile run at about 174mph. He converted a 66 Mustang, and because of that also coincidentally holds the top speed record for moving a 60's Mustang fastback chassis.

In Texas I've seen where people can do top-speed runs every day on a strip of road over 1,000 miles long; it's called I-10. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3
“They should add a generator to the car. Then you wouldn’t have to plug it in ever again because it charges the battery while driving!”

That’s a real quote! And he was unfortunately serious!

Less ridiculous are those asking about solar panels and full charge within a few hours of sun...

• Funny
I’m admittedly somewhat of a fan boy but I bought my car for the exact reasons you did. I’ve had my 3 for a little less than 2 months and I’m still excited to drive it. Most of the miles I’ve driven have been to just going for a ride with no destination.

Me too. It's been years since I had a vehicle that I liked to drive so much. It's just so FUN to drive.

FWIW I sold my Lexus after 11 years for almost 40% of what I originally paid for it. Only had about 85k miles on it though- I expect my Tesla will have considerably more miles and be worth considerably less after that time.

WOW! Must have been a private sale and the party REALLY wanted it badly! I bought a GS350AWD new in 2007.........in 2017 with 62,000 miles and not a blemish on it, traded it in on a new one. When clean, you really could not tell it from a new car. It was immaculate. Of course this was traded and not sold private party, but after some negotiating, I got 33% of what I paid for it in trade in. On another note, the 2017 with 6,000 miles on the clock was traded in on my 2018 S P100D, obtaining 75% of what I paid for it. Sure, I could have gotten perhaps 85% if I had sold it private party, but I didn't want to go through that hassle. Of course RIGHT after having traded it in on the Tesla, I had two friends that asked me why I traded it in on the Tesla as they wanted to and would have bought the Lexus from me had they known. Reminds me of my brother in law that sold his old house at 85% of asking price, only to be offered full asking price on the following day. Hindsight is truly 20/20 or better.

It baffles me why people have been conditioned to have to apologize for being a fan boy. Yes, some products are so good that people actually become fans! This is a good thing, not something to apologize for!

It baffles me why people have been conditioned to have to apologize for being a fan boy. Yes, some products are so good that people actually become fans! This is a good thing, not something to apologize for!
You are right Stealth. I find myself apologizing way more often than not. Someone quoted my post about my car being great and told me I’d have zero credibility if I kept posting good things about my car. Maybe envy because they didn’t get such a good car?

How do you get fuel for your generator if the power goes out? :D

People worry about the most theoretical things. If the power is out for long enough to impact your transportation, there are probably more pressing questions. Of course, the most disaster resistant solution of all would be to have an EV and a solar system capable of charging the car off-grid. Then the question becomes "What do you do if the roads are all buckled and the bridges are all down? Personally, I'm not married to my car, I have two legs.:rolleyes:
I get fuel for my generator from a gas station that has a generator backup.

• Funny
You are right Stealth. I find myself apologizing way more often than not. Someone quoted my post about my car being great and told me I’d have zero credibility if I kept posting good things about my car. Maybe envy because they didn’t get such a good car?

I would say it's more likely someone actively trying to tamp down Tesla. By making Tesla fans feel guilty for posting good things about their ownership experience, it changes the balance of good/bad Tesla posts (and the impression that a curious visitor will leave with).

This directly affects Tesla's chances of success. And they know it.

I get fuel for my generator from a gas station that has a generator backup.

Which makes the environmental impact of driving an ICE car that much worse. You not only have to pollute to extract the oil, transport the oil to the refinery, refine the oil into fuel, transport the fuel to gas stations but now you have to burn oil products to pump the gasoline back out of the ground again!

Good thing governments around the world subsidize the petroleum industry more than any other large industry in the world! :rolleyes:

It baffles me why people rail against a few subsidies to encourage clean energy but the same people never rail against the huge and pervasive government subsidies of fossil fuels! I'm a shareholder in BP until it no longer makes financial sense. I have to recoupe those subsidies I pay to big oil somehow!:cool:

Which makes the environmental impact of driving an ICE car that much worse. You not only have to pollute to extract the oil, transport the oil to the refinery, refine the oil into fuel, transport the fuel to gas stations but now you have to burn oil products to pump the gasoline back out of the ground again!

Good thing governments around the world subsidize the petroleum industry more than any other large industry in the world! :rolleyes:

It baffles me why people rail against a few subsidies to encourage clean energy but the same people never rail against the huge and pervasive government subsidies of fossil fuels! I'm a shareholder in BP until it no longer makes financial sense. I have to recoupe those subsidies I pay to big oil somehow!:cool:
Don't forget the oil slicks...:-(

I am so sick and tired of having to defend this car that when I"m now asked about it, I tell the inquirer that this car is not for them and that they should not buy one.

That puts them on the defensive.

That was my answer when I used to do EV Ride-and-Drive events back in the day as a LEAF owner when the inevitable anti-EV types showed up. “Those cars run on coal.” “They use child labor to make the batteries.” “Al Gore and his friends get a cut of every one they sell.” More often than not I would just have to turn my back and walk away because there aren’t enough facts in the world to cure ignorance.

I am surprised by how sad this thread made me instead of the expected levity of the topic.

-Randy

Come on Randy, cheer up! Just because our government encourages behavior that threatens the very existence of life as we know it shouldn't get you down...

OK, how about this one:

I was talking to a young rural guy in a bar. He saw the Tesla parked outside and wanted to know if it was mine. When I said it was, the first thing he wanted to know was if I wasn't concerned about getting electrocuted when it rained hard and the car was splashing through deep puddles. :D

The statistics bear out that most people don't need a charging network. Nor do we need gas stations on the highway; we could take a bus or airplane for long trips. However, we ALL need the charging network, even if we never use it. In America, cars are a tangible expression of our freedom. If we choose, we can go anywhere we want, when we want, without any checkpoints ("Papers, please?"). Having a vehicle enables that freedom, even if we do not exercise it on a regular basis. That's the culture. If you remove that from the equation most Americans will not buy a $50k grocery-getter. And if Tesla can't sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year to people who would otherwise not by an EV what would happen? The prices would have to go up, if they even made the vehicles at all. The SC network is what enables the $35k M3 (or $39k, or whatever) to be a reality. Without the SC network, if they only make 10k Model 3 units per year, would you be willing to spend $200k for one? The SC network is VITAL for Tesla's continued success in gaining market share, and we all want to see more of these on the road.

I am not a Tesla Fanboy. I'm a car guy. I bought my M3 because it is a great car, not to save the planet. I'm a new owner and never been to a supercharger yet, but I wouldn't have bought one without the SC network.

Your numbers just don't add up I'm afraid.

Annually in the US about 18 million new cars are sold.

Tesla is only making about 400k Model 3s annually for 2019, and maybe half will go overseas (if S/X is any guide).

That means they'd need to "replace" barely more than one percent of annual ICE sales in the US to sell every single Model 3 that build.

So they really don't "need" the SC network to hit that. 98% of new car buyers could totally ignore the existence of Tesla and they'd still have more cars to sell than buyers to buy them.

Again, the SC network certainly broadens the customer base some, but it's already a ton larger than Tesla can meet the need for.

Which is why all these "EV competitors" who are making FAR LESS cars than even Tesla, sure don't need such a network.

Audi is hoping to make 1/10th the number of Etrons worldwide that Tesla makes cars in 2019... meaning they only need 0.1% of the US market.

99.9% of buyers could "need" a nationwide charging network (and they don't) and Audi would still have a customer for every single EV they can make.

until EVs are a greater-than-tiny-footnote % of the market no competitor will really "need" a nationwide charging network to sell all their cars if they make something otherwise decent (see also the Leaf which Nissan has been chugging along profitably on for years with no such network).

And until battery production expands massively it's physically impossible for EVs to break out of the tiny single-digit market share it's in, even if there was a works-with-any-car supercharger on every corner.