Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is true. Look at the trap speeds of cars with similar 1/4 mile times to the P3D, they're quite a bit faster. Not that this is a practical concern for a street car.
"Fall off" in the "not quite as pre-natural anymore" way. It is a poor wording choice that convey's a misconception. You've seen that recent video of the Model 3 pulling away from the S3 (IIRC?) after 60mph in head-to-head 1/4 mile? (<edit>well it wasn't a P, I think it was a D?</edit>)

It sort of is the case for the Performance, but the D holds it's HP peak level at least until 100mph. I'd be surprised if the RWD is any different on that.

That's why its trap speed is only a couple mph off of the Performance. I guess I should have said that non-nerfed single speed EVs are quicker than they are fast. :p
That's better. :)

I wonder if anyone is going to try take their Model 3 to a US Mile event (Texas Mile event is twice/year, Colorado has one periodically as does Arkansas), where they rent an airport strip for a couple days and run a full mile with another huge chunk of distance to wind down from (record speed that I know of is a Ford GT that someone got up to 300.4mph(!), and used a chute to slow down). I don't think the event even bothers to report times, just trap speeds. That's a place we'd be able to get a better idea about what the HP/torque curve is like past 100mph. I assume dyno's are generally not built to run at higher speeds, as they were built assuming vehicles that shift gears?

P.S. BTW there's a guy in Austin that holds the BEV record for the 1 mile run at about 174mph. He converted a 66 Mustang, and because of that also coincidentally holds the top speed record for moving a 60's Mustang fastback chassis.

Reactions: erik_k
This is true.
OK, first it is a buzz-kill to say that a dumb comment is true in the dumb comment thread! There must be some rule against that somewhere.

Look at the trap speeds of cars with similar 1/4 mile times to the P3D, they're quite a bit faster. Not that this is a practical concern for a street car.
Ah... but just because EVs are quicker than they are "fast" doesn't mean that they aren't also fast! (I studied a bit of logic, don't judge me)

I guess I should have said that non-nerfed single speed EVs are quicker than they are fast. :p
There you go. I agree that there are some gas cars that are "faster" at 80mph (Ok, that's a logical problem too, guilty) than my Tesla. But that doesn't mean that my Tesla isn't still "fast" at 80mph. It still has better acceleration at 80 mph than *most* cars on the road. And obviously it is "quicker" up to 80 mph than damn-near everything I encounter. Look at me! I'm a 1 percenter!

Reactions: StealthP3D
That's better. :)

I wonder if anyone is going to try take their Model 3 to a US Mile event (Texas Mile event is twice/year, Colorado has one periodically as does Arkansas), where they rent an airport strip for a couple days and run a full mile with another huge chunk of distance to wind down from (record speed that I know of is a Ford GT that someone got up to 300.4mph(!), and used a chute to slow down). I don't think the event even bothers to report times, just trap speeds. That's a place we'd be able to get a better idea about what the HP/torque curve is like past 100mph. I assume dyno's are generally not built to run at higher speeds, as they were built assuming vehicles that shift gears?

P.S. BTW there's a guy in Austin that holds the BEV record for the 1 mile run at about 174mph. He converted a 66 Mustang, and because of that also coincidentally holds the top speed record for moving a 60's Mustang fastback chassis.
There's where you'll definitely want to change gear ratios. I find that for the speeds I can drive without going to jail, that a single ratio serves me just fine. But definitely there are limits that aren't suffered when a driver gets to shift!

There's where you'll definitely want to change gear ratios. I find that for the speeds I can drive without going to jail, that a single ratio serves me just fine. But definitely there are limits that aren't suffered in vehicles with multiple rations at their disposal.
Meh. Likely easier to just reprogram the software to disregard health of the motor, inverter, and battery pack. I've gathered that's what that Mustang conversion did to get to 174mph, they're in the process of rebuilding the drivetrain because they cooked at least the motors (they use 2 motors joined in tandem on the driveshafts). :p

Reactions: Hank42
OK, first it is a buzz-kill to say that a dumb comment is true in the dumb comment thread! There must be some rule against that somewhere.

Ah... but just because EVs are quicker than they are "fast" doesn't mean that they aren't also fast! (I studied a bit of logic, don't judge me)

There you go. I agree that there are some gas cars that are "faster" at 80mph (Ok, that's a logical problem too, guilty) than my Tesla. But that doesn't mean that my Tesla isn't still "fast" at 80mph. It still has better acceleration at 80 mph than *most* cars on the road. And obviously it is "quicker" up to 80 mph than damn-near everything I encounter. Look at me! I'm a 1 percenter!

So which is faster? A Tesla going 80 mph or an ice going 80 mph?

;)

Bill Shorten’s, Australia next Prime Minister (probably), claims that an electric car can be fully charged in 10 minutes! Yeah right! Not even with our super chargers is this possible.

Well, superchargers aren't the fastest EV chargers in the world. 350kW chargers, such as those installed by ElectrifyAmerica (in the USA), IONITY (in Europe) and Chargefox (in Australia) exist, even if most cars cannot use them to their full capacity.

Shorten's exact quote was "depending on how much you started with" (which, while it is a loophole answer, the question itself is ridiculous because no-one charges from 0% to 100%)

And after he made his comment, Chargefox followed up with these posts on social media:

upload_2019-4-20_10-34-20.png

Stations in Chargefox's network are about 140-160 km apart, so it's not unreasonable that in the future a typical recharge stop in Australia could be 8 minutes.

Shorten was obviously trying to put cold water on the coalitions media arm, News Ltd, comparing a more realistic stop (20-30 minutes) with petrol (5 minutes). As we all know, it's more nuanced than that... but News Ltd readers aren't exactly nuanced.