Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s up Elon’s sleeve for AWD and PAWD buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think you should be able to drive at highway speeds and go the full 310 miles? Time to learn about how the EPA rating system actually works.

Start here: How The EPA Rates Electric Cars: Range, Efficiency & More
Then go here: Detailed Test Information
Go back to both my posts and tell me where I said I think that. I simply stated that in normal use you don’t get 310...at which point I was told you do.

Thanks for your attempted lesson but maybe you should start with basic reading comprehension.

I think efficiency can be improved with time.... how is it that AWD on the other models was more efficient.

This may be updated with some tweaks is my thinking , we will see.

AWD on other models is more efficient because of the efficiency gain of switching to FWD while cruising. In the Model 3, the rear motor is a more efficient design than the front motor, which is the same type used in Model S and X. So instead of gaining efficiency, the Model 3 would likely lose efficiency if switched to FWD.

This is all to say that it will not become more efficient. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're asking for in your original post. You just bought your car and you want them to give you something for free because you ordered an AWD? You already got something extra- a front motor. What more do you want and what are you willing to pay for it?

I think efficiency can be improved with time.... how is it that AWD on the other models was more efficient.
The major difference w/the Model S D is both the front & rear motor was a newer, improved design of the same type of motor as the rear motor of the RWD.

On the Model 3 the rear motor is exactly that same on RWD & AWD, and the front motor of the AWD is of a type of motor design (induction) that is about 10% less efficient converting power than the rear (permanent magnet switch resistance) motor.

So no, the AWD is always going to be slightly higher Wh/mile.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
The major difference w/the Model S D is both the front & rear motor was a newer, improved design of the same type of motor as the rear motor of the RWD.

^^^ ???
Are you saying that Model S "D" (like 75D) uses same motor type as RWD Model 3 ?
I think that is incorrect. I think Model 3 RWD introduced a new motor type not seen in any Model S or X so far.

In terms of front (induction) motor in AWD 3... I am not sure how similar that is to front motor in S & X... Maybe similar.
But I think rear motor in 3 is a new type and quite different from every Tesla motor before it.

Are you saying that Model S "D" (like 75D) uses same motor type as RWD Model 3 ?
No.

The Model S xxD vehicles used an updated design for the motor compared to the RWD Model S (although they were still of the same induction motor concept, they were improved along with their substantial size shrink). The PxxD vehicles however continued to use the same original rear motor as the Model S RWD with only small incremental changes (to deal with durability/reliability issues), and as a result were much worse efficiency compared to the xxD even if you drove it conservatively. Contrast the later with how the Model 3 AWD and Performance are extremely similar efficiency (unless you give in to the urge to stomp ;) ).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jgs
I would not mind a speed upgrade made available for AWD, provided that it is structured in a way that doesn't devalue what PAWD people have. A cost should definitely be attached to such an upgrade. It doesn't have to match PAWD but a small boost would be nice.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
If they uncork one they better uncork all. I didnt pay 11k extra just to have a P that is exactly the same as an AWD with the only difference being an acceleration and top speed number in the software.

I would gladly accept and even pay for a ludicrous mode on the P, as well as more instant torque off the line which seems to be limited right now.
Yup. Even just putting the AWD closer to P performance will ruffle feathers.

I think they should offer a $6k upgrade to AWD owners to make it P fast and start giving $5k Tesla credit or free supercharging to P owners.
I'd be ok with that if they paid me $5k, but then nobody would buy a new P. No way would they do that.

Why would no one buy a new P? They lowered the cost of the P, didn't they? I am talking about a Tesla credit for those who bought the P at the higher price. Personally, if the cost difference to go to the P, at the time I bought, was were it is now, I would have gotten the P. I think there are a lot of AWD owners that would pay for that bump, but weren't going to at the 11-15k difference that it was.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
If they uncork one they better uncork all. I didnt pay 11k extra just to have a P that is exactly the same as an AWD with the only difference being an acceleration and top speed number in the software.

I would gladly accept and even pay for a ludicrous mode on the P, as well as more instant torque off the line which seems to be limited right now.

We do get track mode though (which I did get to use this weekend and let me tell you, it's awesome)

Is there a contradiction?

After reading many threads on this forum ..... so many writers want Tesla to provide "freebies." Free performance upgrades; free supercharging; free accessories; and on and on.
While others are concerned about Tesla's profitability ... and more important ... corporate sustainability.

Can't have both.

But the buyer should receive a vehicle that has been quality assembled commensurate with the high price to own a copy ..... and equal to the engineering, technology and design expertise that has made the Tesla the remarkable vehicle that it has the potential to become.

Reactions: jgs and dhrivnak
OP here

I really was more focused on a tweaking that may make the AWD more efficient.

Most of what I am reading folks are reporting high consumption.... perhaps they could tweak the motors to allow this as more data comes in.

As far as an uncorking or better performance, perhaps down the line with a fee would be more likely.