Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What 18" Summer Tires Are You Performance Owners Using? PS4? PS4S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a lot of research on here and am torn...looking to get rid of the 18" all seasons on my Model 3 Performance Stealth. My main two OEM size options 235/45/18 I'm considering are

1. Michelin PS4 TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech
2. Michelin PS4S non-Tesla specific

Which of these two options should I go for? Should I be considering something else? I'm not tracking the car but am a very spirited/aggressive daily driver. I couldn't find anything quantifiable on noise differences.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I run both, the PS4 on my RS Megane Cup, and the PS4S on my Performance Model 3. For a road car, there isn’t much in it. Slighty better wet grip with the PS4S, and slightly better heat management on track, but on the road I really don’t think you’re going to be pushing it hard enough to notice (unless you’re a nutter!) In regards to noise, the TO PS4S with accoustic foam are definitely quieter than the standard PS4. The slight high pitched ‘ring’ you get with the non accoustic PS4 is not apparent with the accoustic PS4S. I know it’s the other way around than your question, but IMO, the accoustic foam (S1) makes a difference. Also take into account the Tesla specific PS4 has a different tread width than the standard PS4.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snow Drift
I don't think you can go wrong with the either. If you go PS4S, then consider the 245/45/18's. That'll give you slightly more rubber with negligible difference in diameter. You'll also get better curb rash protection and they won't look as stretched on the wheel.

Reactions: Mash
I run both, the PS4 on my RS Megane Cup, and the PS4S on my Performance Model 3. For a road car, there isn’t much in it. Slighty better wet grip with the PS4S, and slightly better heat management on track, but on the road I really don’t think you’re going to be pushing it hard enough to notice (unless you’re a nutter!) In regards to noise, the TO PS4S with accoustic foam are definitely quieter than the standard PS4. The slight high pitched ‘ring’ you get with the non accoustic PS4 is not apparent with the accoustic PS4S. I know it’s the other way around than your question, but IMO, the accoustic foam (S1) makes a difference. Also take into account the Tesla specific PS4 has a different tread width than the standard PS4.

It sounds like you're saying the PS4 (non-S) with acoustical foam might be my best all around bet if I'm understanding you correctly....given my driving situation/style.

I don't think you can go wrong with the either. If you go PS4S, then consider the 245/45/18's. That'll give you slightly more rubber with negligible difference in diameter. You'll also get better curb rash protection and they won't look as stretched on the wheel.

More rubber isn't always a good thing as you lose feel.

....yes I'm taking about tires.

If I'm going to go with a bigger tire, wouldn't it make more sense to go with the 265/40/18 in the PS4S, which is even a better match diameter wise to the OEM 18 inch tire with the benefit of even more rubber? I have read some mixed results as to whether or not going with that size in all four tires is doable (rubbing), which would be my main concern, with lost range due to extra weight being a distant second.

If I'm going to go with a bigger tire, wouldn't it make more sense to go with the 265/40/18 in the PS4S, which is even a better match diameter wise to the OEM 18 inch tire with the benefit of even more rubber? I have read some mixed results as to whether or not going with that size in all four tires is doable (rubbing), which would be my main concern, with lost range due to extra weight being a distant second.
265/40-18 PS4S require a rim width range of 9-10.5" (per TireRack). The OEM 18 is only 8.5" wide, so that won't work.

265/40-18 PS4S require a rim width range of 9-10.5" (per TireRack). The OEM 18 is only 8.5" wide, so that won't work.

265's don't "require" a 9"+ wide rim, that's just what is recommended by the manufacturer. People sometimes push the limits just a shade with more tire than manufacturer's recommendations. It's not optimal, but I've done it before on previous cars....

265's don't "require" a 9"+ wide rim, that's just what is recommended by the manufacturer. People sometimes push the limits just a shade with more tire than manufacturer's recommendations. It's not optimal, but I've done it before on previous cars....
To each his own. For me, I don't want to risk my tires with wider or narrower (stretched) than recommended specs.

Reactions: Nauman87
Tons of folks on other sport sedan forums run 265s on 8.5" wheels without issue (and at least Model 3 owner has mentioned doing so as well)

When I spoke to tirerack a while back about it they basically said unofficially it should work fine but "officially" they can only recommend that combo for use on non-public roads.

Reactions: fryrice
I've had 265's (PS SS) on a 9.5" wheel and it looked slightly stretched. They would have been perfectly to my eye on a 9" wheel. I think 265' on an 8.5" wheel would work, (there are pics on this site, IIRC and they don't look like they're bulging.) With that said, I stick within the parameters the manufacturer recommends.

Tons of folks on other sport sedan forums run 265s on 8.5" wheels without issue (and at least Model 3 owner has mentioned doing so as well)

When I spoke to tirerack a while back about it they basically said unofficially it should work fine but "officially" they can only recommend that combo for use on non-public roads.

What's interesting is Discount Tire's website says an 8 1/2 inch rim is okay with the 265 tire whereas Tire Rack suggests no less than 9".

I'm on the fence between the 265/40/18 PS4S no foam and the PS4 (no S) 235/45/18 with foam.

Trying to decide if it's worth paying an extra $150 for the bigger 265 tires....I'll get better handling (better tires and the tires are 1.4" wider) and better braking, more grip from a standstill launch, and maybe more curb rash protection....

at the cost of more noise and 3lbs more per tire + worse aero, which will probably cost me some range.

The model 3 isn't traction limited- so if you're talking street/drag racing you won't see any benefits...(maybe a negative with slightly more weight but too little to measure I expect).... likewise braking won't change compared to "regular" size of same tire (wider tire but less weight over each bit of it- contact area doesn't change in size, just shape)

You might get a touch better cornering (where changing the shape of contact area helps), and maybe a little curb rash protection- but that's about it.... and probably a slightly greater range hit from worse aero of tires sticking out slightly more.

Reactions: fryrice
It's been a few months. How do you like the PS4 tires?

They're solid. Very quiet, But hard to compare to the original All season tires that came in the car because I only drove them a couple miles.

I do wish they had a bit more grip but I attribute a lot of that to having a pig of a car on skinny tires. I feel like the weight of the car makes me less likely to try to push it through turns as hard as lighter cars I've owned. Maybe it's a confidence thing or getting used to center of gravity differences. I had a 2008 BMW M5 about 10 years ago that was a similar weight that just felt a lot smoother in turns. Dunno.

I'll probably always wonder how much better it would've handled on 265 PS4S tires.

They're solid. Very quiet, But hard to compare to the original All season tires that came in the car because I only drove them a couple miles.

I do wish they had a bit more grip but I attribute a lot of that to having a pig of a car on skinny tires. I feel like the weight of the car makes me less likely to try to push it through turns as hard as lighter cars I've owned. Maybe it's a confidence thing or getting used to center of gravity differences. I had a 2008 BMW M5 about 10 years ago that was a similar weight that just felt a lot smoother in turns. Dunno.

I'll probably always wonder how much better it would've handled on 265 PS4S tires.
I think it's a suspension that makes such feeling and not tires. Tesla biased towards bad roads comfort rather than handling compare to German sport sedans.