Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about stockholder priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with Bonnie.

But I'd add that I don't think anyone deserves a priority on the Model 3. Well maybe some key early investors/contributors. But when it comes to employees and Roadsters/S/X owners and stock holders, I don't think any of us are entitled to priority.

Tesla offering priority to employees is nice gesture, rooted in sound logic (employee morale, an expression of gratitude for their hard work which has benefited the company, etc.). Them being the top, makes perfect sense to me.

Tesla offering part/current owners priority is also a nice gesture rooted in sound logic (an expression of gratitude since the research and capital from those cars were instrumental in making the Model 3 become a reality, it will help drive sales).

Tesla could choose to offer priority to stockholders but there would naturally have to be some stipulations. They didn't offer priority to past customers who just bought a t-shirt, they had to have spent tens of thousands of dollars on a car. However if they chose to offer priority to large individual stockholders I think that would be fine and rooted in sound logic.

But make no mistake about it: they weren't obligated to offer priority to any of these groups. Let's not turn a nice gesture by Tesla into something negative.

Employees are the single most important group of people in any company. Im sure space x employees also cobtributed to Tesla tech. Everybody else who think they deserve some priviledge because they own .0001% of paper dont make sense to me. You can still get a model 3 a bit later.

Other companies give benefits. For example Norwegian Cruise Line gives any investor who owns 200 shares a discount off of every cruise they take on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship.

Yea, but then you'd be owning 200 shares of NCL instead of Tesla stock.

Your individual performance shouldn't be a reason for priority on a reservation. I never bought into TSLA until the 170s and I've still made out handsomely buying and selling at opportune times in the last couple of years.

Shareholder rewards, in any case, are almost exclusively for mature companies--just like dividends. Your reward is the explosive growth that's sure to happen as Model 3 reservations blow up.

Tesla should not have gotten in the priority game. It's another example of no good deed goes unpunished. What Tesla vehicle owners get priority, original buyers, current owners, used vehicle buyers, model X and S reservation holders?
Tesla needs to get better at execution in a lot of areas, Tesla should have said that Tesla vehicle owners and people with orders in and waiting for their S and X as of the date of the reveal would get priority, if that was their intention. The true Tesla owners are the shareholders. That's a fact. The support and patience of shareholders should not be minimized.

I absolutely agree. I should have been more clear that there is no direct benefit to Tesla's bottom line.

Realistically, how in the world would Tesla determine how to give stockholder priority? Own since the beginning? Took a loss? More than 10,000 shares? Would you be bound to hold the stock during the entire reservation period? No selling?

It just gets nuts.

People who took an early bet on Tesla by buying the stock have been well rewarded. As investors, (hopefully) they did their due diligence research before buying. But there are a lot of people who bought vehicles from Tesla without a test drive/ride, without seeing the vehicle. Heck, there are some Roadster owners who paid for their Roadster not even knowing if there would be a company (mad props to them).

I'm a TSLA stockholder myself and also interested in getting a Model 3. But even though it might therefor be beneficial for me, I agree that stockholders should not get priority. Because if they did, all you would need to do to get priority for Model 3 would be to order one share and that's it.

I would support Bonnie's idea that Tesla workers should get priority, then everyone else. I'm even ok with Tesla's decision to give priority to exisiting owners, because without them there probably wouldn't even be a Model 3 in the first place.

Did you see the 3 concept?

Best design, most practical concept yet by Tesla and Elon's design team. Best design for the environment. 350 miles per charge. One piece front bumper for easy and inexpensive repairs. Look at the GM designs. The bumper has over 13 pieces to replace and store in a wearhouse heated with NG.
The 3 has basic colors. No toxic pearls. Again, for easy repairs.
Mine has no AC, we don't want it. No electric Windows and locks. No remote entry. Therefore less rare earth materials and pollution. And expense to manufacture. Simple door handles. Did you ever remove a door handle from a Tesla. Why so heavy? Poor design.
Also,
No rear wiper system with electric motor. No auto pilot. No flat screen needed. It's a car. No rear camera. Etc. Best of all... The
Hatch back style is 49 inches wide with big side windows like the 2000 Geo Metro. A sheet of plywood fits inside. No truck needed to build the camp.

Best part is the passenger seat pops out to allow 20 2 by 6 by 8 foot 2 by 6s. I don't want people with me all the time.

Want a picture of Elon's useful concept embellishments for Tesla?
All for 25gs.
Now that's genius.
Joe Vecchio and friends. Skaneateles NY.

Best design, most practical concept yet by Tesla and Elon's design team. Best design for the environment. 350 miles per charge. One piece front bumper for easy and inexpensive repairs. Look at the GM designs. The bumper has over 13 pieces to replace and store in a wearhouse heated with NG.
Mine has no AC, we don't want it. No electric Windows and locks. No remote entry. Therefore less rare earth materials and pollution. And expense to manufacture. Simple door handles. Did you ever remove a door handle from a Tesla. Why so heavy? Poor design.
Also,
No rear wiper system with electric motor. No auto pilot. No flat screen needed. It's a car. No rear camera. Etc. Best of all... The
Hatch back style is 49 inches wide with big side windows like the 2000 Geo Metro. A sheet of plywood fits inside. No truck needed to build the camp.

Best part is the passenger seat pops out to allow 20 2 by 6 by 8 foot 2 by 6s. I don't want people with me all the time.

All for 25gs.
Now that's genius.

I think you may be disappointed.

Yeah. The primary benefit of being a Stockholder was realized fairly well to those who held from $17 up to around $285 or so... And certain of the major Stockholders also got the added bonus of being able to purchase Founders series versions of first three cars. I'm happy that the Tesla and SpaceX employees are able to make deposits early. Hopefully a similar courtesy may be extended to those at SolarCity. There is always the continual consideration we give to those who have consistently shorted TSLA though:

It is nice that Tesla is putting a priority system in place that "rewards" their employees and their previous customers. However, there may be a more pragmatic reason for doing this than rewards. I think employees and previous customers will be more forgiving if there are any issues with the earliest cars out the door (as happened with the S and X) than first time buyers. We know that Tesla will eventually get it right and are less likely to go ballistic as they work out the growing pains on the new assembly line. Just my two cents, and yes, I am happy to volunteer as a guinea pig for an early Model 3.

Reactions: Red Sage
Also,

All for 25gs.
Now that's genius.
I totally agree I think you are going to be very disappointed. You are buying a $35K midsize car. If a car was designed to your specification it would be a car very few of the users would want. People have certain expectations and most of what you don't want other users expect, things like electric Windows, air conditioning, electric door locks, back up camera and good selection of colors are even in your cheapest cars these days. They have already said for $35k you get 200 mile range. Since the battery is the most expensive component of the price to get you to 350 you will pay over twice that price, I.e. $75k. You.cant upgrade just the battery you will have to go with the top end version to get this range and that comes with a lot more options.

Fist: Why should stockholders have a priority? I hold some Tesla stock myself, but its about $200 to own one share, thats hardly an accomplishment that should entitle you to get a Model S sooner. Its not the same as a Model S owner who paid about 50 times as much for a Model S/X/Roadster and who can't sell and earn money with it.

Secondly:
I expect the smaller battery S will disappear to make room for fully optioned 3.
It is there so tesla can quote lower base price.

I guess you might be, partly, right. With the new cells they might get to 100kWh with the big pack, but also to about 85-90kWh with the small one (100kWh*14modules/16modules). So they might want to increase the price of the car with the small pack, but include more standard features. But I guess it won't be to make room for the base Tesla, but because they can focus the Model S more on being the high margin car it already is, while people that don't want to pay that much will be more happy with a loaded Model 3, than the equivalent of a base 70. And not only them, but also Tesla, because a loaded Model 3 might even bring in more money, than a base Model S.