Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call today from TorkLift asking if I had not installed the hitch yet. I told them I had and I'd found the reason why they were calling, the flange nuts. He apologized that they were different on my car and said there was no reason to believe the ones from Home Depot were any worse than the ones that came with the car. I suggested that they should re-write the manual to include a tools list and better descriptions of steps to remove things.

I have a hitch on my other car and when I back out of the drive it scrapes. Now when I back into the driveway the Tesla hits and STOPS. Probably not going to keep the hitch on the car all the time, but I can also approach the driveway at an angle.

Glad you got yours done. Did you see the water come out or rust that I documented? I lost one of the torx screws when reassembling. It dropped down inside and I never found it, even taking the bumper back off. Took the car to Tesla today to get a replacement for the missing bolt I discovered and asked if they also had that screw, I would be happy to pay, and they put it back for me. Ended up sitting for 4 hours while they worked on the car, they found things, I suggested we look at things. Ended up driving home in a loaner. All that for want of a missing bolt. They didn't say much about the hitch, certainly didn't mention I was busting my warranty.

-Randy
Did they find any other missing bolts, etc...?

I installed the hitch today myself. Took a little over 3 hours. The main issue was removing the bumper bar support? It was heavily painted to the chassis and took quite a bit of trying to get it off and they were also holding water.

I did the 4 inch holes and I disagree with the measurements. I'd do the hole 1/4 further out and more distance to the passenger side. Even with the 4 inch I couldn't easily get the bolt in and my wrench. So I had to cut it wider and it isn't so pretty.

The guy who helped me install my hitch was FREAKED out by the water coming out of the body parts (the supports) when removed. We have been trying to figure out how the body is preserved. My Sprinter, in comparison, has no visible metal on the underbody, it's all sprayed with protectant coating, and even though it's 13 years old, not a crack in it, so NO rust. The Tesla paint appears to be sprayed in a downward direction. When I took the flange nuts off, after first rotation it was obviously painted on the top only.

IMG_4276.JPG

The underside of the car also has no paint, or at least no red paint.

IMG_0260 2.JPG

I suggested that the metal was untreated, but my friend said it would be silver it if was untreated, like that bolt.

Perhaps the cars are dipped in primer and that goes everywhere. Not sure how I got all that rust then:

IMG_0740.JPG

TorkLift calls the goop inside the support epoxy, but what if the cars are dipped in primer? And what if that is what is all drained to the top of the photo, it pooled and dried at the bottom of the support above. Just like the support held water that had leaked in until the support was taken off.

There are now three of us who have taken off the crash bar supports installing the hitch. Has everyone seen this rust?

-Randy

Definitely looks primed. If it was untreated steel it would already have rust. The bumper support thing looks bad. Looks like they need to add a drain hole. Isn't the rear body structure made of aluminum? If it is that could accelerate the rust of the bumper support.

Looks like the nut situation has been remedied. Replacement flange nuts came preinstalled on the 6 lugs for attaching the crash bar to the hitch.
We opted for the 2" version, the bolt that affixes the removable receiver takes a 15/16" socket. Dang, this thing is beefy.

From what I can gather the rear body assembly of the Model 3 is steel so there is likely low worry of galvanic corrosion from the hitch, but they did include nylon washers to space the hitch off the frame...this seems a little meh so when we install we'll probably cut some sort of full coverage separation barrier.
IMG_20180429_222155.jpg IMG_20180429_222520.jpg
Now I just need a car to bolt this thing to..

• Funny
Reactions: Dana1
Let us know if you have water spilling out from your supports when you chip them out.

I went by the Corte Madera Service Center and reported the rust and water issue with the Crash Bar Supports. The service manager took my photos and was going to forward them to the Engineering Team for potential escalation. I also noticed tonight that the Motor Trend photos also show the rust I saw: Motor Trend article

-Randy

Ok. I finally have my electric bike on my electric car. Color even worked out.

View attachment 299348

But then I tried to drive somewhere.

View attachment 299349

How do you shut off that alarm when backing up? It sees the bikes there and thinks you are about to hit them.

-Randy
Lol! On the X, when you connect something electrical to the tow connector, it automatically turns them off. But since yours isn’t factory...

Lol! On the X, when you connect something electrical to the tow connector, it automatically turns them off. But since yours isn’t factory...
How about a bike rack? No electrical connection for that.

Until the post by @Randy Spencer I hadn't even thought about what would happen with the parking sensors and a bike rack. Just have to ignore the warning, I suppose. I've had a similar thing happen when the sensors get coated with snow.

How about a bike rack? No electrical connection for that.

Until the post by @Randy Spencer I hadn't even thought about what would happen with the parking sensors and a bike rack. Just have to ignore the warning, I suppose. I've had a similar thing happen when the sensors get coated with snow.
Yeah, I dunno. You can manually turn on tow mode for a trailer without lights (which disables the sensors, and autopilot!, in the name of supposedly enabling better sway and torque control or something). You can also manually _disable_ tow mode, when you connect say a hitch box with lights, or a (fancy!) bike rack with lights, so that you can still have autopilot, and don't need the different driving smarts (I'm pretty sure the rear sensors - beeping at least - remained disabled in this case, though). I'm trying to remember what happens when you put a bike rack with no lights on, as in your case. I _think_ I've done that once or twice, and I feel like the sensors beep for like 10 seconds, then they realize the obstruction isn't moving even though the vehicle is (or just timeout), and stop beeping. I'm almost certain there's not a button in the UI anywhere to just silence the rear parking sensors

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Not so concerned to hear from Model X owners, if they have special tow modes. More interested in Model S owners who have added a 3P hitch. I suppose I could hook a switch to the sensors that I flip when I put something in the hitch. Once more into the breach...

-Randy

Reactions: Blue in NC
Not so concerned to hear from Model X owners, if they have special tow modes. More interested in Model S owners who have added a 3P hitch. I suppose I could hook a switch to the sensors that I flip when I put something in the hitch. Once more into the breach...

-Randy
This will be annoyingly un-actionable, but I have an Ecohitch on my S, which has AP1 and parking sensors (obviously), and there is a way to turn off the audio alerts when backing up. I can't remember the specifics however. If you don't get an answer before then, I'll throw it on and do some testing this Wed for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
This will be annoyingly un-actionable, but I have an Ecohitch on my S, which has AP1 and parking sensors (obviously), and there is a way to turn off the audio alerts when backing up. I can't remember the specifics however. If you don't get an answer before then, I'll throw it on and do some testing this Wed for you.
The audio alerts can be turned off by going into the settings for "Safety & Security" and then tapping the gear icon in the upper right to view more options. From here, you can disable the Park Assist Chimes. I've tested this with my bike rack + bike and it works.
IMG_1982.jpg