Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What accessories should I purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The glass is magnetic?
Haha, nah, you have to stick a circular magnetized disc to the glass roof. Then, you install the mesh sunshade. Then, you place a magnet on top of the sunshade that adheres to the disc. It works well and prevents the sunshade from sagging. It’s not a necessity but the sunshade will without question sag, like 4 to 5 inches from the glass, without something there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
The glass is magnetic?
They provide a two tinny metal disk with double sided tape to stick them to the glass, then the two magnets stick to the metal plates. I was hoping that the magnets were strong enough to work through the glass so I wouldn't have to stick the metal plate to the glass on the inside but no such luck. I am thinking about making "bows" out of metal or plastic edging material, it just needs to be stiff but flexible... then I wouldn't have to stick the metal disk to the inside of the glass roof.

Keith

Haha, nah, you have to stick a circular magnetized disc to the glass roof. Then, you install the mesh sunshade. Then, you place a magnet on top of the sunshade that adheres to the disc. It works well and prevents the sunshade from sagging. It’s not a necessity but the sunshade will without question sag, like 4 to 5 inches from the glass, without something there.

I almost wonder if the sagging shade with a "dead air space" would provide better heat isolation? But for esthetics I need to get rid of the sag :)

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Does the Tesla brand shade sage? I didn't see a brand referenced in the saggy/magnet posts. (sorry if I missed it)
They all sag I believe. It’s just the design and length of the roof. Suction cups would work for a while but I assume they would come off with the heat eventually. The magnet seems to work so far and hasn’t come loose. I understand the hesitancy with affixing the disc to the glass roof but I don’t believe it does any harm and any sticky residue would surely come off with a little Goo Gone… I would think. 😁

Reactions: Noflash
Velcro would also work to hold up the sun shade. I'm not sure if the adhesive on the Velcro backing would lose it's grip on inside of the the glass roof in the sun, summer heat.

3M manufacturers adhesive material for use with windshield dash cam mounts. This generally stays in place even in the sun, summer temperatures. When you want to remove the 3M adhesive pad from the windshield you can slice through the adhesive pad using dental floss (this really works), then remove any remaining adhesive from the glass with a small amount of solvent such as lighter fluid, Goo Gone, etc, on a paper towel.

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Velcro would also work to hold up the sun shade. I'm not sure if the adhesive on the Velcro backing would lose it's grip on inside of the the glass roof in the sun, summer heat.

3M manufacturers adhesive material for use with windshield dash cam mounts. This generally stays in place even in the sun, summer temperatures. When you want to remove the 3M adhesive pad from the windshield you can slice through the adhesive pad using dental floss (this really works), then remove any remaining adhesive from the glass with a small amount of solvent such as lighter fluid, Goo Gone, etc, on a paper towel.
My sun shade is dual layer (mesh toward driver, reflective between mesh and glass) so anything that would only grab one layer (suction cup, Velcro) will not work... unless you add another layer of Velcro between mesh and reflective layer :)

Keith

Reactions: jcanoe
The double stick tape and the velcro stick on doesn't hold up in the long run. The glass gets really hot and the stick adhesive just melts. Even the suction cups didn't work. I spent the money for the roof reflectors last year for my Model S and gave up on using them. Finally went with Nano- Ceramic Xpel film 99% heat block and that works. The tint I used is 30% transmission of visible light.

So far haven't needed to do the Model Y with Xpel as the factory tint seems to be working. I only added it to the front side windows. Car does not get hot in bright sunlight so far. If later this summer it isn't enough, I'll just take it in and have the same Xpel added to the roof. That works!

Just a general observation... why is Tesla (and now other manufacturers following the trend) obsessed with glass roofs? We are going for efficiency and performance here, instead of light weight strong carbon fiber, lets put an enormously heavy glass roof on the car! The last really high performance car I owned came with an aluminum roof, and the trends said the next thing coming down the line would be carbon fiber roofs. Heck, if you were a real performance guy you avoided a car with a sunroof!

Keith

I think the glass roof has several benefits. The glass roof simplifies assembly. The roof does not need to be painted. The headliner can be mostly eliminated. The headroom in the vehicle can be maximized.

I didn't say it is without benefit. I said it is not a performance or efficiency benefit.

Headliners in ICE cars are a traditional item, not a requirement. An exposed metal roof has similar heat issues as the glass roof without a sun shade. An exposed carbon fiber roof just needs clear coat on exterior and interior surface and can be bonded to the body in the exact same way the glass roof is bonded.

As is, people get in the car, look up and go "cool" once... then they spend the rest of the life of the car bitching and moaning about the heat it lets in, or cover it up with a sun shade.

Anyway, I long for the days when this fad goes out of style.

Keith

I might be wrong but when these glass roofs began with moon roofs and sunroofs, it was a way to get back the the popular convertible. The all glass roof we have now can't be opened but it is billed as a thing of beauty, although mostly for the back seat passengers.

When shopping for my next EV this year I really liked the way VW ID4 did it with a motorized full cover inside.

I might be wrong but when these glass roofs began with moon roofs and sunroofs, it was a way to get back the the popular convertible. The all glass roof we have now can't be opened but it is billed as a thing of beauty, although mostly for the back seat passengers.

When shopping for my next EV this year I really liked the way VW ID4 did it with a motorized full cover inside.
I keep waiting for someone to come up with a retractable cover for the roof like there are for the trunk…

Motorized and retractable, the Holey Grail for sure!