Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are chances of Tesla honoring a previous price when SA made a mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I am interested in hearing everyone's input about a situation that I have. I originally wanted a Model S and since it wasn't going to be available anytime soon ended up putting a deposit on an MYP. Long story short my wife hated the ride quality and we went last week to test drive alternatives and settled on the MY LR. So I asked our SA to change the order. I followed up on the request in writing and got confirmation that he had requested the change.

I checked the site and it was still showing that we had the MYP on order. I spoke to our SA and he said it could be a few days. So I didn't worry too much about it. Then of course a price increase occurred and what should have been showing as the MY LR was still showing as an MYP. I thought maybe give it a few more days. I was still missing going with a sedan so setup a test drive for the M3P as it was closest to the MS that I can currently drive.

Over the weekend I spoke with my wife and since she liked the MY LR so much it could be her car and I would go put a deposit on a Model S if I wanted. Well you didn't have to tell me twice so I went in to drive the M3P. After I finished the drive I wanted to check and see if they had more insight into why my order was showing the wrong car still before ordering anything else.

According to their system, it was still showing the MYP and not the MY LR. So I asked if I was going to be hit with the price increase since it still wasn't in the system as changed. I showed them the confirmation email where my SA (who wasn't in today) said the change was made. Basically their response was tough luck, if it wasn't reflecting in the system already, any changes now would reflect the pricing. WTH!

Understandably, I was pretty unhappy and they said to check with my SA when back in later this week. So two issues at play here, the pricing is one. The other is if my order isn't updated already, then my position in getting built is impacted as well. Not to mention if they won't honor a potential mistake somewhere on their side, then they are a company with no ethics.

I can afford the price increase but it is the principle of the issue. I have acted in good faith and so should they. I am curious to see how this plays out over the next few days. If it doesn't go well I'll cancel my order and won't bother to order the MS or any future Teslas. I worked at corporate Honda and they were great about maintaining client goodwill. While a Tesla is my first choice at this time, it isn't like Tesla is the only game in town now. There should be some mechanism to resolve this other than that is just the way it is. Is there any internal accountability anywhere? If they handle this appropriately I'll be glad to give credit where due.

That is why I have the email with a confirmation of the change by the SA. "I showed them the confirmation email where my SA (who wasn't in today) said the change was made."

So while the system doesn't reflect it, his email says he made the change. This isn't just something verbal. My wife is an attorney and I've learned to always get everything in writing. So possibly there is an issue with the system and it isn't updating properly. But with an agent of the company saying the change was made, the onus should be on them.

Even if there was some way from a legal perspective they would wriggle out, it would destroy any goodwill. So instead of honoring the price I should have gotten, they would lose a customer, create a lot of ill will, and have a negative brand impact.

I am willing to see how this plays out and hope they'll do the right thing. I've personally witnessed taking a 10k hit just to keep a customer long term. I am hoping it is just a system issue.

That is why I have the email with a confirmation of the change by the SA. "I showed them the confirmation email where my SA (who wasn't in today) said the change was made."

So while the system doesn't reflect it, his email says he made the change. This isn't just something verbal. My wife is an attorney and I've learned to always get everything in writing. So possibly there is an issue with the system and it isn't updating properly. But with an agent of the company saying the change was made, the onus should be on them.

Even if there was some way from a legal perspective they would wriggle out, it would destroy any goodwill. So instead of honoring the price I should have gotten, they would lose a customer, create a lot of ill will, and have a negative brand impact.

I am willing to see how this plays out and hope they'll do the right thing. I've personally witnessed taking a 10k hit just to keep a customer long term. I am hoping it is just a system issue.
Hopefully they honor it and fire the SA or reprimand.

if you have a contract you are good
otherwise , you they are out of luck

Fixed that for you, if Tesla loses the sale of a Model Y and a Model S over $500 they THEY are the ones who are out of luck, not the OP.

I think the best thing about real competition in the EV market place is this kind of crap will either go away, OR Tesla will lose lots of customers to the competition.

Keith

PS: Too the OP, canceling an order is more expensive than taking the $500 price hit, they keep the deposit and the transportation fee (even though they haven't transported anything), but if it is a matter of principle go for it.

Reactions: msm859
I am interested in hearing everyone's input about a situation that I have. I originally wanted a Model S and since it wasn't going to be available anytime soon ended up putting a deposit on an MYP. Long story short my wife hated the ride quality and we went last week to test drive alternatives and settled on the MY LR. So I asked our SA to change the order. I followed up on the request in writing and got confirmation that he had requested the change.

I checked the site and it was still showing that we had the MYP on order. I spoke to our SA and he said it could be a few days. So I didn't worry too much about it. Then of course a price increase occurred and what should have been showing as the MY LR was still showing as an MYP. I thought maybe give it a few more days. I was still missing going with a sedan so setup a test drive for the M3P as it was closest to the MS that I can currently drive.

Over the weekend I spoke with my wife and since she liked the MY LR so much it could be her car and I would go put a deposit on a Model S if I wanted. Well you didn't have to tell me twice so I went in to drive the M3P. After I finished the drive I wanted to check and see if they had more insight into why my order was showing the wrong car still before ordering anything else.

According to their system, it was still showing the MYP and not the MY LR. So I asked if I was going to be hit with the price increase since it still wasn't in the system as changed. I showed them the confirmation email where my SA (who wasn't in today) said the change was made. Basically their response was tough luck, if it wasn't reflecting in the system already, any changes now would reflect the pricing. WTH!

Understandably, I was pretty unhappy and they said to check with my SA when back in later this week. So two issues at play here, the pricing is one. The other is if my order isn't updated already, then my position in getting built is impacted as well. Not to mention if they won't honor a potential mistake somewhere on their side, then they are a company with no ethics.

I can afford the price increase but it is the principle of the issue. I have acted in good faith and so should they. I am curious to see how this plays out over the next few days. If it doesn't go well I'll cancel my order and won't bother to order the MS or any future Teslas. I worked at corporate Honda and they were great about maintaining client goodwill. While a Tesla is my first choice at this time, it isn't like Tesla is the only game in town now. There should be some mechanism to resolve this other than that is just the way it is. Is there any internal accountability anywhere? If they handle this appropriately I'll be glad to give credit where due.
I too had a situation where I got my price adjusted on my order to the current, higher pricing after I was assured that it wouldn't. It's a much longer story than that, but relevant to your situation, every time I emailed and called I initially received sympathy for my situation by various Tesla employees and then prompted got ghosted before it was resolved. After a couple of weeks, I was finally able to get a hold of someone in customer support who followed up with me and told me that the price would be adjusted back on my MY. Since the price adjustment won't reflect until the MVPA is issued and I hadn't gotten my VIN yet, my story isn't over yet. But at least now I have a person who took responsibility for resolving my issue and I can go back to him if it's still not resolved instead of being passed around and forgotten. If you're interested on getting his name and direct line, pm me (since this is my first post post I can't seem to start private conversations yet).

Well I've got an update. Basically it was figurative Eff you. So while my SA received my request before the price change, and he in fact did submit the change in configuration, apparently there is some indeterminate time for the change to take effect. FYI - we are no almost a week later and the change still isn't in the system. So if I randomly placed and order on the website I'd get the previous price that was in effect on the day I submitted my change.

Since Tesla took their sweet time, they want me to pay the increase in price at the time the change will actually be made. Since it still hasn't been done from what anyone can tell me, I'll be hit with the $500 price increase. Unlike most companies I've dealt with, Tesla won't honor the previous pricing it seems. So this entire process has adversely impacted my opinion of Tesla.

For a company that prides itself on tech, pretty crappy that they can't easily update and order in a database somewhere OR honor pricing for a change that was even confirmed as submitted by one of their agents in writing. So at this point I am on the fence about what to do. If I have to escalate something that should be a very simple thing to honor and maintain goodwill, I am not sure if it is worth it. Doesn't speak well of their integrity.

So I posed a few follow-up questions to my SA. Depending on his responses I may or may not proceed with the current order. For sure I am not going with any other additional orders. I'll probably look more closely at the Taycan or the EQS. Maximum range isn't as much of an issue for me as the other car. A company that appreciates their customers is more important to me than an extra 50 miles of range or bragging rights about 0-60 times. Even the BMW i4 with its hideous grill is looking better by the minute.

How companies react when there is an issue is what shows their real integrity. I am going to give them another chance to do what's right and I'll go from there.

Well I've got an update. Basically it was figurative Eff you. So while my SA received my request before the price change, and he in fact did submit the change in configuration, apparently there is some indeterminate time for the change to take effect. FYI - we are no almost a week later and the change still isn't in the system. So if I randomly placed and order on the website I'd get the previous price that was in effect on the day I submitted my change.

Since Tesla took their sweet time, they want me to pay the increase in price at the time the change will actually be made. Since it still hasn't been done from what anyone can tell me, I'll be hit with the $500 price increase. Unlike most companies I've dealt with, Tesla won't honor the previous pricing it seems. So this entire process has adversely impacted my opinion of Tesla.

For a company that prides itself on tech, pretty crappy that they can't easily update and order in a database somewhere OR honor pricing for a change that was even confirmed as submitted by one of their agents in writing. So at this point I am on the fence about what to do. If I have to escalate something that should be a very simple thing to honor and maintain goodwill, I am not sure if it is worth it. Doesn't speak well of their integrity.

So I posed a few follow-up questions to my SA. Depending on his responses I may or may not proceed with the current order. For sure I am not going with any other additional orders. I'll probably look more closely at the Taycan or the EQS. Maximum range isn't as much of an issue for me as the other car. A company that appreciates their customers is more important to me than an extra 50 miles of range or bragging rights about 0-60 times. Even the BMW i4 with its hideous grill is looking better by the minute.

How companies react when there is an issue is what shows their real integrity. I am going to give them another chance to do what's right and I'll go from there.
Sucks to hear. Hopefully it gets resolved.

I have seen dealers try and rip off people. I worked at one of those while in college until I saw it happen and move on very quickly. Often though you had some path of recourse and could escalate some things through the manufacturer. Typically the manufacturer would worry about reputational or brand impact more than some scummy dealer might.

The dealer and manufacturer are the same so more difficult to escalate. Apparently, customers don't matter to Tesla that much. I am still waiting for a response and I'll go from there. I have learned to be always polite and show them the error of their ways in a few different ways. Then escalate as needed. If that doesn't work, there are still other options if you feel like pursuing it. Pretty easy case when you have something in writing like I do.

Reactions: whisperingshad
So for anyone following along, my SA did get Tesla to honor the pricing that was in effect when I made my change. So kudos to them and my SA for following through! I have no idea on the impact to my order timeframe and may be starting over. It could be a good thing as it will likely give me more time to see how crippling the safety features pan out. Hopefully by the time I get a car AEB and LCW with only Tesla Vision will work at least as well as they did before they removed the radar from the system.

Anyway glad to see that Tesla did the right thing in this instance.

So for anyone following along, my SA did get Tesla to honor the pricing that was in effect when I made my change. So kudos to them and my SA for following through! I have no idea on the impact to my order timeframe and may be starting over. It could be a good thing as it will likely give me more time to see how crippling the safety features pan out. Hopefully by the time I get a car AEB and LCW with only Tesla Vision will work at least as well as they did before they removed the radar from the system.

Terrific, I'm glad to see that they stepped up and did right by you.

Me too as it restores some confidence in them. Not as much as removing the radar does to diminish it. So curious to see what my wait time will be now. Lost an entire week to this. If I were to order new, the wait times are 3-13 weeks. If on the high end, I could get the MS about the same time.

I had a far worse situation and many promises in writing. In the end Tesla will tell you to buzz off and screw you no mater what. I sent a demand letter to their legal which gets forwarded to an intern that will act as though they care to help. I'm headed to court where they must respond. If you live in CA be sure to send a certified letter to opt out of their useless arbitration protection clause per terms of the purchase agreement. Tesla managers are the most deceptive in the industry, likely covering their P&L and bonuses and they will throw front line workers under the bus. Sad that the Tesla culture is so toxic but it is what it is and the experience is worse than a used car lot. Small claims court can work with Tesla.

Good to know. Glad I didn't have to get to that point with them. Not a lot of way to gain goodwill of customers, but doesn't seem like the care about that as selling enough to piss of customers without impact. That only happens for so long.

In the legal world, what counts is a contract. Promises, reassurances don't count. So if Tesla agrees to keep the lower price for you, it's a public relations, courtesy but not a legal matter.
I would disagree. The SA is a representative of the company and he made an official request to have the order changed. The SA didn't follow up resulting in a higher price. I think he would have legal grounds for the reduced price if he was to push it. Especially if he has history where the SA stated the change request was made.

I’m in a similar situation, did hey actually change the purchase price or keep same price and give a discount?