Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car did you swap for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No swap. Had a 2007 Honda Accord. Best car ever, before the
Model 3. 160k miles, never any work other than needing 2 brake
jobs, some tires and a couple of batteries. I saw the current price
was something under $2k. Give me a break. Heck, better to BUY
one at that price. Comfy leather seats, everything works, totally
solid, so it stays. I guess we should take it in for the annual check-
up that it's never had. Never been garaged. It does have a couple
of scratches on the fenders, will have to get some touch-up paint.

The insecure keeping up with the Joneses, aided by an auto industry
that employed millions, changing styling every year like in the 1950s,
adding a fin here and a nose job there, seems to be making a bit of
a comeback, with the low cost retooling of the plastic parts, for a New,
Improved, front grille for 2019, a more Transformer look for 2020.
That's new. What else do they have to offer? I hear Jeff Bezos drove
a 2007 Accord until very recently. I don't think that this car even looks
dated.

So the truth of the matter is that cars now are a highly perfected
technology, and when desired, they can be built to last for decades.

I rather expect the Model 3 to also be driving around after 10 years.
It won't be quite as much of a Jetsons' novelty, but those USB 2.0
jacks, that Advanced Summon! And that Dog Mode!

honda_20190809_200309L.jpg

Last edited:
2017 Audi S3 lease going away in early November for a M3P+. Was never a fan of the S3 tranny.

Having been in a friends early model performance I was sold on the first drive.
Hi @chewyc ,
I'm also about to give up my S3 2017 (19" rims, adaptive suspension) for the M3P+
Being in Australia, I haven't had a chance to drive the Model 3 yet.

Can you give in insight please into how it compares for handling & ride quality? I love the handling of the S3 - very lightweight and nimble, and sits very flat through the corners.
It does have a fair bit of road noise though and bumps can be a bit uncomfortable (even with the dampers set to 'comfort' mode).

2014 3 series BMW 335i - stalled on freeway luckily able to pull over 78K miles and seized motor on a 5 year old car with dealer serviced 78K miles. Luckily extended warranty covered it.....fixed and traded - good riddance with BMW and all its problems.

2000 Lexus GS300 followed by a 2010 Lexus GS350. Both great cars, but the Model 3 blows them away. I liked the GS because it was quick and fast but it's nothing compared to the Model 3. The interior and turning radius of the GS is better but for everything else it's no contest.

Going WAY back I had a 1980 Mazda RX-7. That rotary engine was awesome at the time.

Hi @chewyc ,
I'm also about to give up my S3 2017 (19" rims, adaptive suspension) for the M3P+
Being in Australia, I haven't had a chance to drive the Model 3 yet.

Can you give in insight please into how it compares for handling & ride quality? I love the handling of the S3 - very lightweight and nimble, and sits very flat through the corners.
It does have a fair bit of road noise though and bumps can be a bit uncomfortable (even with the dampers set to 'comfort' mode).

@ChrisJA

Sadly, my lease is up in November so I have yet to order my new M3P+. I had a 2013 S4 prior to my S3 which had a few minor issues. My wife totaled it on the way home from the beach... hit a huge boulder in the road that ruined the engine. Ironically, Travelers handed me a 7k check with the total with no deductible. I assume this was because it was in really good shape otherwise.

My gripes with the S3 are as follows.
  • My sunroof cover makes a ton of noise, always.
  • The S3 transmission never seems to select the proper gear, unless I floor it. I literally feel unsafe sometimes when I have to make a quick left turn.
  • Had paint issues on the rear C panel from delivery. I custom ordered. It's a lease so "who cares!"
I'm looking forward to doing away with a transmission. Having driven in my buddies early M3P I was all smiles when it was punched. Just amazing power and torque.

P1000118-1 (580x434).jpg
f8bc126d980d16e9d7d60b.jpg

Sold my 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 with 62,000 kms to a buyer in Australia to buy a Model 3.
However due to the current political situation in Hong Kong I decided not to proceed with the Model 3
So I' still using my BMW 840 Ci Sport as a daily driver.

2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack.

I thought I'd miss the sound of the big V8 and exhaust, but I don't!

I definetly don't miss going to the gas station to fill up with premium once per week (or more). I figure I've saved $160+ per month since last September.

Reactions: ICON
I didn't " swap " it in that I didn't trade it in. But my previous vehicle was a 1995 F-150 that was in almost showroom shape with only 80,000 miles. I sold it to pay for clear bra on the whole front end and ceramic coating all over and window tinting.