Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Causes this [12V] Charging Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I have found so far: Tesla wanted app CLOSED and bluetooth OFF overnight. In the morning car was off and stayed off. Turned on app and bluetooth was wakes for about 20 minutes, off 30 seconds then back on. Drive and tried again. App off Bluetooth ON. Awake 30 minutes off 6 minutes then awake. App off AND Bluetooth OFF - Awake 15 minutes, off - over 1 hour and I stopped waiting for a wakeup. SO bluetooth is waking the car through the IOS app 4.12.0 (or 4.12.1). Explains why Tesla wanted bluetooth off overnight. No need to go to airplane mode or shut off phone. Just closed app (so banner reminding its not in background) and bluetooth off stops the cycling. I've forwarded to Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: James@Tessie
Nice information, thanks. Closing the app doesn't seem necessary from the data you've shown right? Only bluetooth is relevant. So presumably this would not happen if you were away from your home so your cell phone would be out of bluetooth range of your car.
We've had people report that Bluetooth being on will wake it even at a far distance. The app appears to be doing something like [if Bluetooth is enabled on the phone] -> [wake car] which is kind of wild. I'm guessing their intended logic is [if Bluetooth is connected to the car] -> [wake car] but that connection logic isn't working so it's getting triggered all the time.

Reactions: GtiMart
Even the latter option, [if Bluetooth is connected to the car] -> [wake car] , makes me nervous. My phone is often close to my car in the garage, I wouldn't want it to wake the car in that situation. Unless it's the bluetooth LE for phone as key to let you unlock a door which needs the phone within a foot of the car...

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm guessing their intended logic is [if Bluetooth is connected to the car] -> [wake car] but that connection logic isn't working so it's getting triggered all the time.
This also seems like bad logic. You definitely don’t want the car waking up just because Bluetooth is connected. The car seems to be able to detect received power somehow though, because when the phone is in very very close proximity, it is detectable (of course, otherwise locks wouldn’t work - note they don’t work just because Bluetooth is in range; you can’t necessarily open the car doors when Bluetooth is in range). It’s still not necessary to wake the car in that case, though it seems that sometimes it does. (Hard to tell since the car will wake up periodically regardless.)

Here is what I have found so far: Tesla wanted app CLOSED and bluetooth OFF overnight. In the morning car was off and stayed off. Turned on app and bluetooth was wakes for about 20 minutes, off 30 seconds then back on. Drive and tried again. App off Bluetooth ON. Awake 30 minutes off 6 minutes then awake. App off AND Bluetooth OFF - Awake 15 minutes, off - over 1 hour and I stopped waiting for a wakeup. SO bluetooth is waking the car through the IOS app 4.12.0 (or 4.12.1). Explains why Tesla wanted bluetooth off overnight. No need to go to airplane mode or shut off phone. Just closed app (so banner reminding its not in background) and bluetooth off stops the cycling. I've forwarded to Tesla.
The very first time this problem started it did not happen until ten hours after the 4.12 app was installed on my iPhone. The second time it happened it did not happen until five hours in. The third time I sat on the porch for two hours waiting for the sound of the contactors closing/opening nothing. Got tired of waiting and came back in the house, five to ten minutes later (according to the 12V battery monitor ) it cycled three times in an hour and several times the next several hours. I have at no time, during all of the above, disabled Bluetooth on my iPhone. Bottom line, I would not assume after only one hour the problem is/is not Bluetooth related in any way. Without the Bluetooth 12V monitor this problem would have probably went unnoticed by almost all owners except for owners like the one who's bedroom is right above his garage.(see post above). When my car starts cycling it seems to vary between twice and four time per hour. If all data access is off on my iPhone, everything is the same as it has been for three years.(normal) and Bluetooth was NEVER turned off.

For your information.

I have the same issue since Tesla releases the iOS app version 4.12.0. During the day, the app is waking up my car very often.

When I disable mobile data for the Tesla app and turn off wifi on my iPhone... no problem at all. Disabling or enabling bluetooth makes no difference.

I created a thread in the Dutch part of the forum: Tesla Model 3 wordt steeds wakker.

I also made a service request via the Tesla app. I provided all the information. They are investigation it now.

I have the same problem, and saw that my iPhone tried connecting to auth.tesla.com and owner-api.teslamotors.com 24/7. Blocked those 2 addresses in my firewall, and the Tesla stays asleep.

Great information! Tesla has been looking into this problem for about a week, hopefully they come up with a fix SOON. The fix will probability be 14.12.x with an update notice of bug fix(s) with no transparency explanation of this problem. I guess this is typical with most companies? There could be thousands of Tesla cars out there that are cycling between sleep and wake state up to possibly a hundred times a day and most owners have no idea this is happening. This has to have some effect on the longevity of the components involved in the wakeup/sleep transitions. We know the 12V battery and the PCS boards are not covered beyond the four year/50K mile warranty not sure about the contactors and any other components involved?

FWIW Tesla is still actively looking into this. They have asked me to set the car up without charging overnight and leaving app running like normal in background with bluetooth active overnight.
Have you reinstalled your Bluetooth 12V Battery Monitor so you can see what is going on during the Tesla testing? or are the Tesla engineers still saying it could be causing this problem (In my opinion VERY unlikely)?

Have you reinstalled your Bluetooth 12V Battery Monitor so you can see what is going on during the Tesla testing? or are the Tesla engineers still saying it could be causing this problem (In my opinion VERY unlikely)?
For now leave everything as factory. Once this is done I will reinstall my AGM battery or possibly my Ohmmu. They want app in background running and bluetooth on. I did notice just now the app will say phone key connected when parked and outside with sentry off and unlocked. But my bluetooth menu in my phone says NOT connected.

For now leave everything as factory. Once this is done I will reinstall my AGM battery or possibly my Ohmmu. They want app in background running and bluetooth on. I did notice just now the app will say phone key connected when parked and outside with sentry off and unlocked. But my bluetooth menu in my phone says NOT connected.
Which Tesla says is normal. So let's see if they find a solution.

I updated the Tesla app this morning. No fix for this problem, it seems:

Schermafbeelding 2022-09-16 105310.png